X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handle errors and control breaks with Spring Batch

Hi everyone! I have almost completed my work with Spring Batch, it's working but then I have problems to handle the errors. I'll make a simple example:

I read one flat file, that I (later) map with 3 variables:

ID CODE NAME
    AAA3333333Alex
    AAA3333333Mark
    BBB4444444Paul

I want the reader to read the flat file with a control break (I don't know if it's the right term in english, in italian it's something like "key break"), reading the elements with the same ID and CODE and only when the key changes return them to the reader:

Code:
    while ((line = (Person) peek()) != null) {  //while there are elements to read
         if (line.getId().equals(prevElement.getId()) && line.getCode().equals(prevElement.getCode())
            //do something
    }
    This works fine: when the ID or CODE changes I return the elements to the writer.
    To make this work I had to set the commit-interval to 1 from the application-context. The thing is that in the worst case, if the elements are different for each line, I commit every single element and it becomes all very very slow.

So I said: let's put an outer control. Instead of returning the elements to the writer each time the key changes, I put them in a list, and then I return the list every 200 key changes (like a...handmade commit-interval):

Code:
    while (controlBreakCount < 200 &&) {
        while (!exit && (line = (Person) peek()) != null) {  //while there are elements to read
            if (line.getId().equals(prevElement.getId()) && line.getCode().equals(prevElement.getCode())
                //do something
           else { //if the key changes
                //there is a controlBreakCount++;  to increase the count
              //add the elements to a list
            }    

}
    }
    return the list
    and this works too (the real code has more controls, but this was to explain in a simple way).
    The problem comes here: how to handle the errors with the listener in this case. With the outer while I have put (the one with the controlBreakCount), if even one of the 200 elements has an error all the elements currently in the list go to the listener and so it's very difficult to recognize the element with the error.

I guess my solution is not the best way to handle the "control break", but I can't find really much about this (and I'm not very pro with Spring Batch)...may I have some help? I hope I have been quite clear...

Thank you very much

Sorry for not getting to this sooner. We are in the process of moving to StackOverflow for our forums.

This question is probably a better candidate for StackOverflow, perhaps against the #spring-batch tag. If you do post it there, please reply here with the link. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
    X