X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with partitioning

This may be a simple problem or I may be completely missing something in my configuration. I am trying to implement a parallel batch job based on the partitioning example provided with the Spring Batch release. My understanding of the partitioning example is that as is, it is not multi-threaded, but single threaded due to the use of the SynchTaskExecutor. In order to make it multi-threaded I changed the configuration to use the ThreadPoolTaskExecutor. While this change succeeded in making the partitioned steps run in parallel I have run into a couple of problems.

The first problem is when I run the job using a non-dataSource job repository and transaction manager, i.e., MapJobRepositoryFactoryBean and ResourcelessTransactionManager (for testing), one or more of the partitioned steps fails with an OptimisticLockingFailureException:
    Code:
    2009-07-13 17:17:33,209 ERROR [org.springframework.scheduling.concurrent.ThreadPoolTaskExecutor#19ecd80-4] - Rollback caused by fatal failure failed
    org.springframework.transaction.IllegalTransactionStateException: Transaction is already completed - do not call commit or rollback more than once per transaction
            at org.springframework.transaction.support.AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.rollback(AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.java:795)
            at org.springframework.batch.core.step.tasklet.TaskletStep.rollback(TaskletStep.java:368)
            at org.springframework.batch.core.step.AbstractStep.execute(AbstractStep.java:197)
            at org.springframework.batch.core.partition.support.TaskExecutorPartitionHandler$1.call(TaskExecutorPartitionHandler.java:108)
            at org.springframework.batch.core.partition.support.TaskExecutorPartitionHandler$1.call(TaskExecutorPartitionHandler.java:106)
            at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
    2009-07-13 17:17:33,225 ERROR [org.springframework.scheduling.concurrent.ThreadPoolTaskExecutor#19ecd80-4] - Encountered an error executing the step: class org.springframework.batch.core.step.AbstractStep$FatalException: Fatal failure detected
    org.springframework.batch.core.step.AbstractStep$FatalException: Fatal failure detected
            at org.springframework.batch.core.step.tasklet.TaskletStep$2.doInChunkContext(TaskletStep.java:303)
            at org.springframework.batch.core.step.AbstractStep.execute(AbstractStep.java:197)
            at org.springframework.batch.core.partition.support.TaskExecutorPartitionHandler$1.call(TaskExecutorPartitionHandler.java:108)
            at org.springframework.batch.core.partition.support.TaskExecutorPartitionHandler$1.call(TaskExecutorPartitionHandler.java:106)
            at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
    Caused by: org.springframework.dao.OptimisticLockingFailureException: Attempt to update step execution id=3 with wrong version (1), where current version is 0
            at org.springframework.batch.core.repository.dao.MapStepExecutionDao.updateStepExecution(MapStepExecutionDao.java:86)
            at org.springframework.batch.core.repository.support.SimpleJobRepository.update(SimpleJobRepository.java:167)
           at $Proxy37.update(Unknown Source)
            at org.springframework.batch.core.step.tasklet.TaskletStep$2.doInChunkContext(TaskletStep.java:300)
            ... 13 more
    This problem seems to go away when I change the configuration to point to a database backed data source and transaction manager. However, when I increase the number of threads (or files in MultiResource...) it appears to cause a dead-lock scenario. The steps execute once and then hang without any further execution.

I have tried multiple configurations, from using my own custom partitioner to using the MultiResourcePartitioner, in both cases they react the same.

Here is a partial of my batch configuration file:
    Code:
        <job id="sample.parallelJob">
            <step id="sample.parallelJob.step" parent="sample.parallelJob.step1:master"/>
        </job>
                    <beans:bean name="sample.parallelJob.step1:master" class="org.springframework.batch.core.partition.support.PartitionStep">
                                    <beans:property name="jobRepository" ref="jobRepository" />
                                    <beans:property name="stepExecutionSplitter">
                                                    <beans:bean class="org.springframework.batch.core.partition.support.SimpleStepExecutionSplitter">
                                                                    <beans:constructor-arg ref="jobRepository" />
                                                                    <beans:constructor-arg ref="sample.parallelJob.step1" />
                                                                    <beans:constructor-arg>
                                                                                    <beans:bean class="org.springframework.batch.core.partition.support.MultiResourcePartitioner">
                                                                                                    <beans:property name="resources" value="classpath:sample/data/*.txt" />
                                                                                    </beans:bean>
                                                                    </beans:constructor-arg>

</beans:property>
                                    <beans:property name="partitionHandler">
                                                    <beans:bean class="org.springframework.batch.core.partition.support.TaskExecutorPartitionHandler">
                                                                    <beans:property name="taskExecutor">

<!-- -->
                        <beans:bean class="org.springframework.scheduling.concurrent.ThreadPoolTaskExecutor"
                                    p:queueCapacity="20"
                                    p:corePoolSize="20"
                                    p:maxPoolSize="20"/>
    <!-- -->
                                                                    <beans:property name="step" ref="sample.parallelJob.step1" />
                    <step id="sample.parallelJob.step1">
                                    <tasklet job-repository="jobRepository" transaction-manager="transactionManager">
                                                    <chunk writer="sample.parallelJob.writer" reader="sample.parallelJob.reader"
                       commit-interval="1" >
                </chunk>
            </tasklet>
                    </step>
                    <beans:bean id="sample.parallelJob.reader" scope="step" autowire-candidate="false"
               class="org.springframework.batch.item.file.FlatFileItemReader">
                                    <beans:property name="resource" value="#{stepExecutionContext[fileName]}" />
            <beans:property name="lineMapper">
                <beans:bean class="org.springframework.batch.item.file.mapping.PassThroughLineMapper"/>

<beans:bean id="sample.parallelJob.writer"
                    class="LoggingItemWriter"/>
    Note, the LoggingItemWriter above is a stateless writer that just writes the Item received to the console.

I've been banging my head against this for a while now to no avail. Any insight into the problem would be greatly appreciated.

The MapJobRepositoryFactoryBean is not supposed to be used in a multi-threaded job or step (I think it says so in the Javadocs).

The deadlock is probably just your connection pool running out of connections. You need to increase the pool size so that it is at least as great as the number of threads that are going to execute steps concurrently. This requires some tweaking of the thead pool / task executor together with the connection pool, and possibly also the partition handler.

Comment

Thanks for the help Dave.

Interestingly enough, the javadocs for MapJobRepositoryFactoryBean do not mention anything about not being used in a multi-threaded job or step. However, based on my results, I would guess that you are correct in that statement.

It looks like your were correct on the connection pool problem. It appears that there was some resource contention in both the connection pool and the transaction manager. After increasing the number of connections in the connection pool and changing the transaction manager to a regular DataSourceTransactionManager the job executes successfully.

With some testing I have found that if I configure a JPATransactionManager, the job will still hang regardless of how many connections I allow in the connection pool. Looks like I'll have to review all the configuration options for the transaction manger and entity manager.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X