Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trouble with the MultiResourceItemReader...

I am trying to get the MultiResourceItemReader working and having some problems applying it...

Here is the configuration for it (the input files sit in an "inputs" directory within the run directory):

Code:
    <bean id="multiFileItemReader" class="org.springframework.batch.item.file.MultiResourceItemReader" scope="step">
                    <property name="resources" value="file:#{stepExecutionContext.fileName}/*.dat" />
                    <property name="delegate" ref="itemReader" />
            </bean>

<bean id="itemReader" class="org.springframework.batch.item.file.FlatFileItemReader" scope="step">
                    <property name="lineMapper" ref="lineMapper" />
            </bean>
    but on execution I get:

Code:
    2009-02-23 17:45:14,485 [taskExecutor-1] WARN  org.springframework.batch.item.file.MultiResourceItemReader  No resources to read
    2009-02-23 17:45:14,509 [taskExecutor-1] ERROR org.springframework.batch.core.step.AbstractStep  Exception while closing step execution resources
    org.springframework.batch.item.ItemStreamException: Error while closing item reader
            at org.springframework.batch.item.support.AbstractItemCountingItemStreamItemReader.close(AbstractItemCountingItemStreamItemReader.java:94)
            at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor25.invoke(Unknown Source)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
            at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:310)
            at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:182)
            at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:149)
            at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:131)
            at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:119)
            at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171)
            at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)
            at $Proxy9.close(Unknown Source)
            at org.springframework.batch.item.file.MultiResourceItemReader.close(MultiResourceItemReader.java:130)
            at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor25.invoke(Unknown Source)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
            at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:310)
            at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:182)
            at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:149)
            at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:131)
            at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:119)
            at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171)
            at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)
            at $Proxy6.close(Unknown Source)
            at org.springframework.batch.item.support.CompositeItemStream.close(CompositeItemStream.java:86)
            at org.springframework.batch.core.step.tasklet.TaskletStep.close(TaskletStep.java:331)
            at org.springframework.batch.core.step.AbstractStep.execute(AbstractStep.java:245)
            at org.springframework.batch.core.partition.support.TaskExecutorPartitionHandler$1.call(TaskExecutorPartitionHandler.java:108)
            at org.springframework.batch.core.partition.support.TaskExecutorPartitionHandler$1.call(TaskExecutorPartitionHandler.java:107)
            at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
            at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:166)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
            at org.springframework.batch.item.file.FlatFileItemReader.doClose(FlatFileItemReader.java:214)
            at org.springframework.batch.item.support.AbstractItemCountingItemStreamItemReader.close(AbstractItemCountingItemStreamItemReader.java:91)
            ... 33 more
    Also, if I might ask... which is the appropriate TaskExecutor to be using for the configuration proposed in section 7.4 of the docs http://static.springsource.org/sprin...alability.html?

org.springframework.core.task.SimpleAsyncTaskExecu tor

or

org.springframework.scheduling.concurrent.ThreadPo olTaskExecutor

Note: I am using local threads.

Thanks.

Keith

The delegate itemReader doesn't need to be step scoped. Does it make any difference if you change that? I tried the same thing and it worked for me.

SimpleAsyncTaskExecutor is, well, "simple"; the ThreadPool* version has more properties. Look in the Spring user guide and Javadocs for more info.

Comment

Resolved...

The problem was just a bad case of the "Mondays"....

Comment

I lied...

I did have a case of the mondays but the problem is not resolved... I am not getting substitution for some reason:

Code:
        2009-02-24 13:10:32,843 [taskExecutor-1] DEBUG org.springframework.batch.core.scope.util.PlaceholderTargetSource  Replaced [file:#{stepExecutionContext.fileName}/*.psv] with [file:#{stepExecutionContext.fileName}/*.psv]
        it seems to work if all files are in the run directory but not in the inputs directory... (i.e. my input variable is not getting substituted).

Also...

How can I validate that I am running correctly? if I put the files in the root directory it runs but I am having a little difficulty identifying the file:thread associations... is there anything I can look for to ensure I did things correctly?

Thanks.

Keith

Comment

What do you mean by "file:thread associations"? You can try running in a single thread to make it simple?

BTW I think you might find that #{stepExecutionContext.fileName} has to be #{stepExecutionContext[fileName]} until we get Spring 3.0 and the full EL.

Comment

Well... that was one problem... (using the wrong syntax) but that syntax is written that way in the doc in section 7.4... I didn't realize it was not valid yet. The other problem was that I was assuming the stepExecutionContext would inherit the jobParameters by default but that doesn't seem to be the case... when I changed it to jobParameters... it worked.

With regard to the file:thread associations... I am just trying to make sure I did everything correctly... I want to be sure I linked all the components properly... Its obvious that I have 16 partitions but I want to make sure each one is correctly processing a separate input file...

if you look at this log snippet... are does it appear as though 16 threads are running simultaneously? Every log entry appears under the taskExecutor-1 thread which I am assuming is the master thread. Is that normal?

Thanks.

Keith

Comment

I fixed the error in the docos, thanks.

Your log isn't complete so I can't really tell what's happening. Is taskexecutor-1 the thread that you launched the Job in (through a JobLauncher)? How did you configure the TaskExecutor for the PartitionHandler?

Comment

Working...
              X