X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use FlatFileItemWriter?

I am trying to read from database and write to a file.
    Here is the config i took from one of the samples:

Code:
    <bean class="org.springframework.batch.item.file.FlatFileItemWriter"
    id="fileItemWriter">
          <property name="resource" ref="simpleFileLocator" />
          <property name="fieldSetCreator">
             <bean class="org.springframework.batch.item.file.mapping.PassThroughFieldSetMapper" />
          </property>
    </bean>
    Now I have the items from DB, but all i see in the file the reference address of the Domain Object.

I implemented toString method of the domain object, but still no luck. The documentation is also not clear as to how to write to a file.

BTW, i wanted to create a Fixed length file.

Hi seshu

i am also doing the same thing as you, but i am reading from db and writing to fixed length file

this is what i did to write the the property of my domain object to fixed length file

<bean class="org.springframework.batch.item.file.FlatFil eItemWriter" id="fileItemWriter">
    <property name="resource" ref="simpleFileLocator" />
    <property name="fieldSetCreator">
    <bean class="test.CustomFieldSetMapper" />
    </property>
    <property name="lineAggregator" ref="fixedLengthLineAggregator"/>
    </bean>

<bean id="fixedLengthLineAggregator" class="org.springframework.batch.item.file.transfo rm.FixedLengthLineAggregator">
    <property name="columns" value="1-500,501-550,551-600"/>
    </bean>
    My CustomFieldSetMapper override the PassThroughFieldSetMapper mapItem method to return DefaultFieldsetMapper which contains string arrays of the values of the property of my domain object

then i use the provided FixedLengthLineAggregator to write it to a file. works fine

Dont forget to configure the customEditorConfigurer so that it recognizes the array.

My question now is that if i want to do some data trimming ( because i notice if my data is longer than the specified column length, spring will throw error), what is the best practice to do this ? Is it from the sql query when i retrieve the data of when i map the Fieldset into my own domain object and trim it there ?

Also i will need to do padding like providing 0 prefix for number ( example 10000 become 00010000 for 8 digit column ). where is the best place to do this ?

any help is appreciated

regards

ballistic_realm

Comment

Thank you Ballistic. Actually, the issue was with the location of the fixed length file. It was writing to a different directory.

To your question of trimming and padding, I can see 2 quick solutions:
      1. As you said, change the sql query to pad and trim. I was planning to do this too.
      2. Or, we can implement trimming and padding logic in "RowMapper", where we map each row to a domain object.

Or yet another way is to implement that logic in the CustomFieldSetMapper.

Let me know which one works out best for you.

Cheers.
      S

Comment

Hi Seshu,

I think, your simpleFileLocator needs to implement the org.springframework.core.io.Resource interface.

The reason is that the "resource" property in the FlatFileItemWriter requires an object which implement the Resource interface.

Regards,

Vito

Comment

Hi Vito,
          I was already using FileSystemResource for fileLocator. Again, as i mentioned in my previous post, the issue was with the location of the file.

Comment

Hi Seshu,

Do you mean that the FlatFileItemWriter is writing to a different folder from the one specified in the simpleFileLocator?

For me, I use
            <bean id="outputFile" class="org.springframework.batch.core.resource.Ste pExecutionResourceProxy" >
            <property name="filePattern" value="%output.file.name%" />
            </bean>
            This "outputFile" bean is used as a reference to the "resource" property of FlatFileItemWriter. The value of "%output.file.name%" is set in the jobParameters.

jobParametersBuilder.addString("output.file.name", stringFileName);
            The tricky part is the file naming format. I need to do several trials to get the correct format.

In Linux environtment: Assuming "project" is a folder in the root.

String stringFileName="file://project/test/FlatFiles/";
            In Windows environtment:

String stringFileName="file://D:/project/test/FlatFiles/";
            I hope that it helps.

Regards,

Vito

Comment

Thanks Vito. The problem was with the path. I have a relative path, so it created the file in the root directory of the eclipse project that i was running this code from.

Anyway, the issue was solved by giving an absolute path as mentioned in your post.

Comment

Working...
              X