X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Chudak,

I have configured my application according to your posting. My job is processing about 600k records for each run. The job involves loading a fixed length flat file with file size about 300MB.

After the 4th run, I got this out of memory error

Code:
    java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findResourceInternal(WebappClassLoader.java:2053) at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findResource(WebappClassLoader.java:934) at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.getResource(WebappClassLoader.java:1069) at org.springframework.core.io.ClassPathResource.getURL(ClassPathResource.java:159) at org.springframework.core.io.ClassPathResource.getFile(ClassPathResource.java:174) at org.springframework.core.io.AbstractResource.exists(AbstractResource.java:51) at org.springframework.batch.core.resource.StepExecutionResourceProxy.exists(StepExecutionResourceProxy.java:112) at org.springframework.batch.item.file.FlatFileItemReader.doOpen(FlatFileItemReader.java:226) at org.springframework.batch.item.support.AbstractBufferedItemReaderItemStream.open(AbstractBufferedItemReaderItemStream.java:154) at org.springframework.batch.item.support.CompositeItemStream.open(CompositeItemStream.java:103) at org.springframework.batch.core.step.item.ItemOrientedStep.open(ItemOrientedStep.java:462) at org.springframework.batch.core.step.AbstractStep.execute(AbstractStep.java:167) at org.springframework.batch.core.job.SimpleJob.execute(SimpleJob.java:100) at org.springframework.batch.core.configuration.support.ClassPathXmlApplicationContextJobFactory$ContextClosingJob.execute(ClassPathXmlApplicationContextJobFactory.java:107) at org.springframework.batch.core.launch.support.SimpleJobLauncher$1.run(SimpleJobLauncher.java:86) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
    I have started my Tomcat server with -Xmx1024m

If I run the job from command line (in separated JVM), the process is ok for any number of runs.

Do you have any advice on where is the issue?

Thank You

Vito

Comment

But when you run from the commandline, it only process ONE run each time you run it, correct (versus multiple runs inside the tomcat container)?

Comment

Hi Chudak,

I run 1 job each time too in the tomcat container. I am using some beans from the parent context for data access within a step. Is there are way to check whether the subcontext/ child context is really destroyed?

Thanks

Vito

Comment

Originally posted by Vito Limandibhrata View Post
          Hi Chudak,

I run 1 job each time too in the tomcat container. I am using some beans from the parent context for data access within a step. Is there are way to check whether the subcontext/ child context is really destroyed?

Thanks

Vito
          Right but the jvm is destroyed after you run one job from the commandline and it isn't when you run the jobs through tomcat.

Here's the thing: if you set your context up like I suggested, there should only be a handful of beans in the child context. Running your job a half dozen times shouldn't create enough extra objects to blow the heap. Sounds like you may have a memory leak. I'd suggest that you run a profiler against your application and see where the objects are coming from...

Comment

BTW, what version of Spring Batch are you using?

Comment

Hi Chudak,

I am using Spring Batch 1.1.2.
              My biggest question is how to clean up the 'prototype' data beans used by org.springframework.batch.item.file.mapping.BeanWr apperFieldSetMapper

Here is my config

Code:
                	<bean id="dataSupplierFieldSetMapper"
                      class="org.springframework.batch.item.file.mapping.BeanWrapperFieldSetMapper">
                  	<property name="prototypeBeanName" value="dataSupplier" />
                	</bean>

<bean id="dataSupplier"
                      class="com.company.DataSupplier"
                      scope="prototype" />

<bean id="dataSupplierFixedLengthLineTokenizer"
                      class="org.springframework.batch.item.file.transform.FixedLengthTokenizer">

<property name="names" value="cobolSupplierCode,name,oracleSupplierSiteCode,title,firstName,middleName,lastName,department,areaCode,contactPhone,email,oracleOperatingUnitName,eol" />
                  	<property name="columns" value="1-6,
              										7-31,
              										32-51,
              										52-71,
              										72-91,
              										92-111,
              										112-131,
              										132-151,
              										152-171,
              										172-191,
              										192-241,
              										242-291,
              										292-1500" />
                	</bean>
              I will run the profiler and I hope I get lucky to solve this.

Cheers

Vito

Comment

Are you suggesting there is a memory leak? If so we would like to have a JIRA so we can track it.

By the way, your dataSupplier bean doesn't need to be a bean definition at all because BeanWrapperFieldSetMapper can create beans with a default constructor by itslef.

Comment

I have created a JIRA entry for this. http://jira.springframework.org/browse/BATCH-940

Comment

Working...
                  X