Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper onWriteError exception handling

This is somewhat relates to
    http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=54903, but have a different angle to it. Here is goes...

We have a listener that listens onWriteError, and handles exceptions there. This listener is registered with the step that has an ItemWriter that is wrapped with a "HibernateAwareItemWriter".

Currently when the "writer writes" to the DB, it flushes right away (HibernateAwareItemWriter flushes hibernateTemplate behind the scenes), so if there is a DB related exception, it is handled properly in onWriteError method (and the item is skipped) right at the moment of processing that very item.

So, the above describes a "commit interval = 1" scenario, cause every time you process an item "hibernateTemplate" is flushed.

The question is, if we wanted to use a "commit interval = N" ( where N > 1 ), then this, DB related exception, for an arbitrary item would happen on commit in ItemOrientedStep:
    Code:
    try {
            itemHandler.mark();
            transactionManager.commit(transaction);
         }
    which will result in improper exception handling as well as it would fail the job.

What is a proposed solution to use "commit > 1" with proper onItemProcessing exception handling?

Thank you

The Hibernate Session needs to be flushed before that. That's what HibernateAwareItemWriter does, in fact - it flushes on the ItemWriter.flush(). The other thing it does is flush more aggressively after a failure, until it locates the failed item (at which point you should get all the normal exception handling). You shouldn't have any problem with commitInterval>1 as a result. Is there a problem, or are you just expecting one?

Comment

Hi Dave,

No, not a problem - just expecting one

I saw that on ItemOrientedStep, when it commits the transaction, it flushes, and if there is any Exception on flush, AbstractTransactionalResourceItemWriter adds all items in chuck to the HashSet ( failed.addAll(getProcessed()); ) and then ItemOrientedStep rolls back. Then it repeats processing the same chunk, and now it flushes all items in this chunk within the write method - which will result in the proper exception handling onWrite.

I have not tested it yet myself, just wanted to see that my understanding is correct.

And if it is, I would add a little more explanation to the "3.8.3. Database ItemWriters" documentation. But it is up to you guys, of course.

Comment

Working...
      X