X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exception in asynchronous SimpleJobLauncher

I am using the SimpleJobLauncher with an asynchronous taskExecutor, so that my starter gets a reference to the jobExecution immediately and can possibly stop it, while the job runs on another thread. This works fine, except for the following :

When a fatal exception is thrown by the Job.execute() method, the thread dies with a stack trace and the exception does not reach the caller of the job launcher, and the JobExecution is never updated, so that the batch starter is never aware of a problem.

I have overpassed this issue by writing my own JobLauncher, by coying your code, except for the rethrow() method, which is not invoked. I am storing the exception is a context that is shared between the job launcher and the caller of the job launcher, so this object is aware of a fatal problem.

This works, but the only problem resides in the creation of this shared context, which is currently a static object, which I do not like. Is there a better way to do this ? (IMO, the ideal solution would be to store the exception in the JobExecution, as this object is available on both the job launcher and the job starter, but I do not want to write my own JobRepository, JobDao, etc).

What kind of exception is not propagated and stored in the JobExecution? The ExitStatus should give you everything you need to know. N.B. there was a potential problem in this scenario with visibility of changes to the JobExecution across threads (http://jira.springframework.org/browse/BATCH-603), which might be affecting you. I believe (though I haven't tested because it never affected me) you should be able to get the information from the step execution inside your job execution in any case, but I would be interested to know if the latest snapshot from 1.1 works for you without resorting to that.

Comment

You are right : even if job.execute() fails and throws an exception, an exit status that's usable is stored in jobExecution.

The problem is then more "cosmetic": if the SimpleJobLauncher is configured with an asynchronous taskExecutor, a caught exception in job.execute() is rethrown in the TaskExecutor's Runnable, which then kills the Executor's thread and prints a stack trace on the error console, which frightens the operators.

Comment

Working...
      X