Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring-Batch in Application Server?

Hello All,

Can I have my Spring-Batch application deployed in Application server?? (Weblogic, JBoss etc) Since it is a simple jar/war file that I would be creating, I am assuming that it will be possible.

In that case, if I need to launch my job from a servlet, how does that is handled? Does it spawn a new JVM? or Thread? or it is handled by the application server JVM and will be processed like a normal java class?

The reason I am asking this question is, I have request to re-use some of the batch process code for our online application.

Thanks!

You don't have to start a new Thread or new VM, but if the job is launched from an online application maybe you don't want to launch it synchronously either (it would be quite unusual for a batch job to be quick enough to make it part of a servlet request). What exactly are you trying to achieve? Is it even a Job?
    Last edited by Dave Syer; Apr 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM. Reason: iPhone spelling

Comment

Dave,

You points does make a sense, I think I have to extract out the business logic so that it is reusable in my web-tier. It need not run as a job, but it has to be asynchronous as the processing takes longer time, for ex. processing all the accounts for a single bank branch.

Thanks!

Comment

If it's asynchronous, I'd say it isn't really part if your webapp. Wouldn't you rather have bulk processing in another application? You could trigger the offline app from your online one - eg in an appserver there should be some message-oriented middleware.

Comment

Thanks Dave! Just one final confirmation, can you just confirm whether my following statements are correct:

- We can invoke message oriented application from Spring-Batch (for scalability)

I believe the answer to that would be yes, then can you let me know how can I make Spring Batch listen to the response and correspondingly notify the scheduler that the job has been completed?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X