Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BATCH-144 changes

Hi:

I was looking for the abstract class mentioned in the note - "added AbstractDrivingQueryInputSource superclass that encapsulates duplications from IbatisDrivingQueryInputSource and SingleKeyDrivingQueryInputSource."

I am curious as to how the framework handles iBatis when is doesn't have the capability of iterating over a result set.

Thanks

Comment

Dave, I took a look at the Hibernate example and it seems to work as expected. However, when I'm using an example based on JDBC it does not show the expected behaviour. I've created a JIRA issue (Batch-244) and attached an example job to it. It would be nice if you could try to reproduce the problem and give me any hints what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Rollback of chunk on exception with Hibernate

I was curious about how you're configuring Hibernate in the batch configuration. I've done a lot of Hibernate batch in the past and one of the issues we dealt with was flushing. Hibernate 3.x has added a number of new features that were not available to us but essentially we set Flush to FLUSH.NEVER and then performed the flush at each unit of work (Item).

Our mode of determining where we were at in the chunk processing was using a DrivingQueryInputSource (I'm having to translate because it was pre-Spring-batch) but essentially the DrivingQueryInputSource, because the keys are in memory, allowed us to know where we were at when the Chunk needed to re-process a Chunk. This was necessary because Hibernate requires us to throw out the Session when a transaction is rolled back. At this point you can apply a strategy to change the commit interval to commit from the start of the chunk up until the bad record and then re-adjust at that point.

Regardless, I'd love to know how your configuring the hibernate parts of batch and which, if any, Hibernate 3.x features you're using (e.g. stateless session, etc).

Wayne

Comment

Wayne,

sorry for not answering sooner. Our Hibernate configuration is not any different from the one used in "normal" web applications. We do not use any of the Hibernate configuration used for batch processing. When we had our Hibernate related problems with Spring Batch we had a short look into the StatelessSession but we decided not to go with that because one of our goals is to reuse existing components from web applications in our Spring Batch based jobs.

Our current solution is to flush the Hibernate session automatically after processing each item. This is done by configuring an aspect that is invoked after the process() method of each ItemProcessor. This way we get any Hibernate related errors at least when the processing of an item (during which Hibernate is used) is finished. The Spring Batch framework is able to handle the error and can rerun the failing chunk just as it is expected.

Please have a look at BATCH-194 to see the implementation of the advice and its configuration.

Jens

Comment

Working...
          X