• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Batch Code Published!

All,

Spring Batch 1.0-m2-SNAPSHOT is available publicly (source code only
    for now) at sourceforge at
    https://springframework.svn.sourcefo...ng-batch/trunk.

The m2 release proper is expected imminently. We think we can expect
    at least one more milestone release before we get to a release candidate. A milestone is a milestone, so we are going to continue refining the APIs until we get to a release candidate. Hopefully most of the developer touch points are functionally pretty stable, even if the names and packages might still change.

More detail, and a features list will be posted on the website at
    http://static.springframework.org/spring-batch.

Dave.

Great news! I'm really curious about this newest Spring module.

Comment

Great news indeed, finally we can get our hands dirty... Will try it out asap.

Comment

Good stuff, looking forward to having a look!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Syer View Post
          All,

The m2 release proper is expected imminently. We think we can expect
          at least one more milestone release before we get to a release candidate. A milestone is a milestone, so we are going to continue refining the APIs until we get to a release candidate. Hopefully most of the developer touch points are functionally pretty stable, even if the names and packages might still change.

More detail, and a features list will be posted on the website at
          http://static.springframework.org/spring-batch.

Dave.
          Great work guys! I've been monitoring the spring-batch project for several
          months now, waiting to test it out. I've checked out the source from trunk
          and built w/o any problems. Nice! Are there any docs or maven
          goals for deploying the server and running the sample jobs?

- Tellis

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to checkout Spring Batch. We're still working through some of the documentation, especially for the sample jobs, but most of the sample jobs are currently driven by JUnit. Within the Samples project, under src/test/java, in the org.springframework.batch.sample package, you'll find unit tests ending in *FunctionalTests.java, which run the JobConfigurations that can be found under src/main/resources/jobs/. I am also planning on adding more 'end to end' sample jobs that are kicked off from scripts as soon as possible.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by 'deploying the server'? Do you mean deploying to a server?

Comment

Thanks! I was under the mistaken impression that there was some sort of
              server component to spring-batch that enabled execution of jobs from remote
              clients. Hence my reference to "deploying the server". Has the spring-batch
              team considered including a "job server" component, perhaps based on
              Spring-WS and Spring's TaskExecutor API?

Comment

There's nothing in spring-batch keeping you from launching remotely, either using RMI, or an EJB facade. If you look at the code itself you will also see a TaskExecutorJobLauncher that takes advantage of the TaskExecutor api to launch jobs asynchronously. However, with that being said, we don't have any sample jobs yet that showcase how this could be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Syer View Post
                  All,

Thanks for this Dave, much appreciated. Webflow came along just when we needed it and now the same is apparent for Batch.

A couple of questions:

Will binaries be available for download soon ? Our shop has little Maven experience so binaries would be mighty convenient.

Will there be any admin type GUI (web based or otherwise) for controlling jobs, or is Spring Batch first and foremost a set of APIs ?
                  Last edited by Paul Newport; Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:53 AM. Reason: sentence didn't make sense

Comment

Spring Batch Release

Hi,

Please let me where/when I can obtain Spring Batch Release libraries and docs.

We are planning to use this framework for one of our client's batch application
                    requirements, however need to develop a POC to finalize the approach ASAP.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by umeshbiradar View Post
                      Hi,

Please let me where/when I can obtain Spring Batch Release libraries and docs.

We are planning to use this framework for one of our client's batch application
                      requirements, however need to develop a POC to finalize the approach ASAP.

Thanks
                      I'm assuming this is tied to your other thread about having issues obtaining the code via subversion? I'm not quite sure how to resolve it if your company is blocking the port. In terms of 'release libraries and docs', they won't come until we have an actual release. We're pushing to get a milestone 2 out within the next couple of weeks, which will be in jar format, but the documentation won't be complete until around the time we're ready for a first rc.

Will binaries be available for download soon ? Our shop has little Maven experience so binaries would be mighty convenient.
                      Our current CI is creating nightly builds that are accessible, but you won't be able to run the sample jobs from them, since they're part of the test directory, and thus not included. Maven experience isn't a huge issue, since the maven plugin for eclipse makes it a lot easier. Or from the command-line it's as simple as 'mvn clean install' and 'mvn eclipse:eclipse'

Will there be any admin type GUI (web based or otherwise) for controlling jobs, or is Spring Batch first and foremost a set of APIs ?
                      Currently, we have focused on making sure spring-batch can be exposed as an mBean via JMX. You can see an example of this in the adHocLoopJob within the samples project (samples/src/main/resources/jobs/adHocLoopJob.xml) However, there isn't any GUI tool currently planned other than using a JMX console.

Comment

The website has a link to "Downloads", where you can find both Maven-oriented instructions, as well as a link to browse the snapshot repository (http://static.springframework.org/sp...snapshots.html). There is no official release yet, just snapshots, but eventually the same system and the links on the "Downloads" page will work for the milestone and release candidates. The documentation is still lagging behind the codebase (apologies) but is browseable at http://static.springframework.org/spring-batch.

Comment

Working...
                        X