Clear All

• Some Questions

Hi Dave,

Does Spring Batch support

-> Conversion routines?
    -> Security
    -> Auditing
    -> Output file generation ?

Saw the documentation has been setup ...... am eagerly awaiting for the source code to be released.....

Tks...VJ

-> Conversion routines?

You mean conversion from e.g. line in flat file to object? Or something else? And "routine" means what?

-> Security

Obviously a batch job has to be a privileged operation, but this seems to me to be more to do with the runtime environment than with the implementation and deployment of the business logic. Did you have some specific scenarios in mind? We are happy to consider all requirements.

-> Auditing

We are of course fully committed to a complete management information picture of which jobs ran, what happened to them, how many times they were restarted, etc. Auditing of business specific domain data would naturally be the responsibility of the business logic. What specifically did you have in mind here?

-> Output file generation ?

We have an OuputSource abstraction with some file-based implementations (like flat file and XML). Is that what you mean?

Comment

Hi Dave,

Replies find enclosed:

-> Exactly as you have mentioned...by conversion what I mean is suppose I read a line, I can pass it through a custom conversion routine (function) which can convert it into an object and then persistence into the database using Hibernate...its kind of cleaning and validating the data that is being fed into the batch process...I hope this makes things clearer

-> Integration with ACEGI. Only a set of roles can execute the batch processes as this essentially runs within a JVM of its own is what my idea was

-> We plan to use Spring Batch as a gateway for external feeds into the system... In some cases, we do have a requirement where the external feed vendors have to be provided with a qualitative analysis of the data that they would be pumping into the system.....Auditing wouldnt be a completely wrong word but Reporting is more or less the correct word for it.....

-> Facility to utilize Spring Batch to output files in a specific format...We utilize a home-grown framework that outputs files in specific formats with delimiter support and a whole range of other facilities.....Just was wondering if OuputSource supports facilities like that

still waiting for source code...sorry for being such a bother...but I sincerely believe that this is the best spring sub-project of late....and am itching to start work on it....

Thanks...Vijay

Comment

Some Questions

-> Exactly as you have mentioned...by conversion what I mean is suppose I read a line, I can pass it through a custom conversion routine (function) which can convert it into an object and then persistence into the database using Hibernate...its kind of cleaning and validating the data that is being fed into the batch process...I hope this makes things clearer.

We often refer to it as PVT (parse, validate, and transform), and yes, spring batch supports all of these features. In a similar manner that you're probably used to with JDBC Results there is a field set mapper that can map the fields with in a file to an object. You can then access either by index or name just as with a result set. As far as validation, you can use VALANG or validation.xml or whatever you're preference is. The sample jobs have examples of using VALANG for validation.

-> Integration with ACEGI. Only a set of roles can execute the batch processes as this essentially runs within a JVM of its own is what my idea was

We haven't moved into the security space yet but containers are very extensible and you could add this into the behavior. Its actually an interesting question as we had this issue on one of our batch projects where the client wanted a user id stored with the batch jobs. However, most of our batch jobs we're invoked through the scheduler. We created pseudo users that identified which external interface they were coming through so that records in the system could see the audited "last updated by" information on any given record. This type of application logic is not in spring batch.

-> We plan to use Spring Batch as a gateway for external feeds into the system... In some cases, we do have a requirement where the external feed vendors have to be provided with a qualitative analysis of the data that they would be pumping into the system.....Auditing wouldnt be a completely wrong word but Reporting is more or less the correct word for it.....

The facility for being able to customize the logging is in the framework but you will need to extend to get the specific information that you want. This is a very common requirement but there's a lot of variability in how its done.

-> Facility to utilize Spring Batch to output files in a specific format...We utilize a home-grown framework that outputs files in specific formats with delimiter support and a whole range of other facilities.....Just was wondering if OuputSource supports facilities like that.

This is supported in the same manner as the input sources. We support delimited flat files, fixed length records and xml formats.

Comment

Thanks for the answers...much appreciated....so when is the release ?

Comment

Working...
          X