Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring batch roadmap / end of life

Hello everyone.

I'm an happy developer of batches with Spring Batch, which I consider a great framework.

One of our customers noted that the development of Spring Batch is a bit "slow" (SB 2.1.8 was released in June 2011), and he asked if SB is reaching the end of his life, or if instead there are long term plans.

I replied that, at the moment, Spring has many projects opened, and must necessarily balance its efforts among all its different members, but for sure will not leave this jewel die.

I sincerely hope it, because it would be a double disappointment: firstly the death of a great product, secondly we would be forced to fall back on IBM XD...

How would you answer to this question?

Thank you.

There has been a slow down, mostly because, while I remain the project lead, I have moved on to do other things (identity management and security). It certainly does not mean that VMware and SpringSource are not committed to maintaining Spring Batch - in fact the opposite it is seen as one of our most important projects - and, for instance, we have a representative on the JSR export group. The "balancing efforts" argument is basically right, and Spring Batch is quite mature, so hopefully it needs less effort to keep it moving than some other projects. There are definitely issues outstanding and a point release is due, and it will be forthcoming when we find some time and resources to do it. If more community members were able to contribute code themselves it would move a little faster.

Comment

Working...
    X