X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NullPointerException if I dont supply FieldSetMapper

First time using Spring Batch, seems pretty cool. Just one thing kind of confused me.

I setup a quick test to parse a tab-delimitted file and I used the Generics to supply the classname and thought by doing so I would not need to supply a FieldSetMapper.

However as I tested the code I kept getting NullPointerException and had trouble figuring out why, until I tried supplying a FieldSetMapper and then it worked.

Here is the code:

Code:
    public void handleFile () throws Exception {

File file = new File("D:/input/input.in");

DelimitedLineTokenizer tokenizer = new DelimitedLineTokenizer();
    		tokenizer.setDelimiter(DelimitedLineTokenizer.DELIMITER_TAB);
    		tokenizer.setNames(new String[] { "address1", "address2", "address3", "city", "state" });

BeanWrapperFieldSetMapper<AddressVO> wrapper = new BeanWrapperFieldSetMapper();
    		wrapper.setTargetType(AddressVO.class);

DefaultLineMapper<AddressVO> mapper = new DefaultLineMapper<AddressVO>();
    		mapper.setLineTokenizer(tokenizer);
    		mapper.setFieldSetMapper(wrapper);

FlatFileItemReader<AddressVO> reader = new FlatFileItemReader<AddressVO>();
    		reader.setLineMapper(mapper);
    		reader.setResource(new FileSystemResource(file));
    		reader.open(new ExecutionContext());

AddressVO vo = null;
    		while ((vo = reader.read()) != null) {
    			System.out.println("Read next item: "+vo.getAddress1()+", "+vo.getCity()+", "+vo.getState());
    		}

reader.close();
    	}
    So this code works fine, however if you comment out the "mapper.setFieldSetMapper(wrapper);" the operation throws a NullPointerException which I thought was odd because I thought by instantiating the FlatFileItemReader with <AddressVO> that it would not need the FieldSetMapper, that would be a redundant step, no?
    Last edited by trant; May 13th, 2011, 11:54 AM.

So this code works fine, however if you comment out the "mapper.setFieldSetMapper(wrapper);" the operation throws a NullPointerException which I thought was odd because I thought by instantiating the FlatFileItemReader with <AddressVO> that it would not need the FieldSetMapper, that would be a redundant step, no?
    the type parameter of the FlatFileItemReader doesn't tell Spring Batch how to create an object from a FieldSet. So the FieldSetMapper is a mandatory dependency.

Comment

Working...
    X