Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transaction spanning across many objects in the system

I am building an application which has the following flow:

webservice1 --> jmsqueue1 --> mdb1 --> jmsqueue2 --> mdb2 --->...

webservice1 - receives a SOAP search request, inserts the request into the database, and sends a jms message containing the unique id to jmsqueue1.
    mdb1 - reads from jmsqueue1, does some processing, and sends the jms message containing the unique id to jmsqueue2.
    mdb2 - reads from jmsqueue2, goes to the database to retrieve the search request, and does some kind of processing

My question is: using Spring AOP or other technologies is it possible to have a transaction spanning across all of the components described aboved, so that if an error occurs on mdb2 then a rollback will occur on jmsqueue2, mdb1, jmsqueue1, webservice1? I'm not sure if what I'm describing is even possible. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advanced!

You can use Spring's transaction API (either programmatically or, preferred, declaratively). However, note that Spring does not provide a transaction monitor implementation but rather allows you to choose an existing one.

So in your case you have to ensure to choose a transaction manager that supports distributed transaction. If you use JtaTransactionManager inside an application server you would be just fine (ensure to use XA datasources for database access).