X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncatchable hibernate exceptions when using AutoProxyCreator

When using a BeanNameAutoProxyCreator with Hibernate DAO classes, spring 1.1.5 fails to catch net.sf.hibernate.StaleObjectStateExceptions and convert them to DataAccessExceptions.

When I do not use the auto proxy, I can catch and deal with hibernate exceptions, but when the proxy is in place, the exceptions are magically thrown, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Is this by design? If so, how can I use the auto proxy features in spring and still handle optimistic locking failures?

Thanks,
    Josh

Code:
    	<bean id="autoProxyCreator"
    		class="org.springframework.aop.framework.autoproxy.BeanNameAutoProxyCreator">
    		<property name="interceptorNames">
    			<list>
    				<idref bean="matchNameTxInterceptor" />
    			</list>
    		</property>
    		<property name="beanNames">
    			<list>
    				<value>org_sakaiproject_service_gradebook_GradebookService</value>
    				<value>org_sakaiproject_tool_gradebook_business_GradebookManager</value>
    				<value>org_sakaiproject_tool_gradebook_business_GradeManager</value>
    			</list>
    		</property>
    	</bean>

<bean id="matchNameTxInterceptor"
    		class="org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor">
    		<property name="transactionManager">
    			<ref bean="gradebookTransactionManager" />
    		</property>
    		<property name="transactionAttributeSource">
    			<ref bean="matchNameWithPropReq" />
    		</property>
    	</bean>

<bean id="matchNameWithPropReq"
    		class="org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.NameMatchTransactionAttributeSource">
    		<property name="properties">
    			<props>
    				<prop key="add*">PROPAGATION_REQUIRED</prop>
    				<prop key="create*">PROPAGATION_REQUIRED</prop>
    				<prop key="update*">PROPAGATION_REQUIRED</prop>
    				<prop key="remove*">PROPAGATION_REQUIRED</prop>
    				<prop key="*">PROPAGATION_REQUIRED,readOnly</prop>
    			</props>
    		</property>
    	</bean>
    [/code]

spring 1.1.5 fails to catch net.sf.hibernate.StaleObjectStateExceptions and convert them to DataAccessExceptions
    Strange...can you provide a trace. Spring should at least convert it to UncategorizedDataAccessException or a subclass of it.

but when the proxy is in place, the exceptions are magically thrown, and there's nothing I can do about it.
    Are you trying to catch them behind the proxy - some exceptions may not be thrown until control returns to the proxy, and it flushes/commits.

Comment

Strange...can you provide a trace.
      Strange indeed. I can't even try to catch the net.sf.hibernate.StaleObjectStateException since hibernateTemplate.execute doesn't throw this checked exception. Here's the stack trace:

(thanks for having a look!)

Code:
      Jul 6, 2005 8&#58;13&#58;22 PM net.sf.hibernate.StaleObjectStateException <init>
      WARNING&#58; An operation failed due to stale data
      net.sf.hibernate.StaleObjectStateException&#58; Row was updated or deleted by another transaction &#40;or un
      saved-value mapping was incorrect&#41; for org.sakaiproject.tool.gradebook.AssignmentGradeRecord instanc
      e with identifier&#58; 103
              at net.sf.hibernate.persister.AbstractEntityPersister.check&#40;AbstractEntityPersister.java&#58;513
      &#41;
              at net.sf.hibernate.persister.EntityPersister.update&#40;EntityPersister.java&#58;664&#41;
              at net.sf.hibernate.persister.EntityPersister.update&#40;EntityPersister.java&#58;621&#41;
              at net.sf.hibernate.impl.ScheduledUpdate.execute&#40;ScheduledUpdate.java&#58;52&#41;
              at net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.execute&#40;SessionImpl.java&#58;2449&#41;
              at net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.executeAll&#40;SessionImpl.java&#58;2435&#41;
              at net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.execute&#40;SessionImpl.java&#58;2393&#41;
              at net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.flush&#40;SessionImpl.java&#58;2261&#41;
              at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0&#40;Native Method&#41;
              at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke&#40;NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java&#58;39&#41;
              at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke&#40;DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java&#58;25&#41;
              at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke&#40;Method.java&#58;324&#41;
              at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.HibernateTemplate$CloseSuppressingInvocationHandler.inv
      oke&#40;HibernateTemplate.java&#58;1196&#41;
              at $Proxy3.flush&#40;Unknown Source&#41;
              at org.sakaiproject.tool.gradebook.business.impl.GradeManagerHibernateImpl$5.doInHibernate&#40;G
      radeManagerHibernateImpl.java&#58;282&#41;
              at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.HibernateTemplate.execute&#40;HibernateTemplate.java&#58;312&#41;
              at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.HibernateTemplate.execute&#40;HibernateTemplate.java&#58;289&#41;
              at org.sakaiproject.tool.gradebook.business.impl.GradeManagerHibernateImpl.updateAssignmentG
      radeRecords&#40;GradeManagerHibernateImpl.java&#58;295&#41;
              at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0&#40;Native Method&#41;
              at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke&#40;NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java&#58;39&#41;
              at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke&#40;DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java&#58;25&#41;
              at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke&#40;Method.java&#58;324&#41;
              at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection&#40;AopUtils.java&#58;284
      &#41;
              at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint&#40;ReflectiveMe
      thodInvocation.java&#58;155&#41;
              at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed&#40;ReflectiveMethodInvo
      cation.java&#58;122&#41;
              at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke&#40;TransactionInte
      rceptor.java&#58;56&#41;
              at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed&#40;ReflectiveMethodInvo
      cation.java&#58;144&#41;
              at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke&#40;JdkDynamicAopProxy.java&#58;174&#41;
              at $Proxy0.updateAssignmentGradeRecords&#40;Unknown Source&#41;
              at org.sakaiproject.tool.gradebook.ui.AssignmentDetailsBean.saveScores&#40;AssignmentDetailsBean
      .java&#58;267&#41;

Comment

Are you trying to catch them behind the proxy - some exceptions may not be thrown until control returns to the proxy, and it flushes/commits.
        I'm not sure what "behind the proxy means" (I'm new to AOP), but I am trying to catch the exceptions in my DAO (in this case, GradeManagerHibernateImpl.java) and not in the transaction proxy (which is the stock org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.Transa ctionInterceptor).

Comment

Working...
        X