Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5.5 LTW Silently Failing in Tomcat

Hello all,

So I have been working on this all day and I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on the situation. I have an application that runs fine in Tomcat 5.5.20 using Spring 2.5.0 and LTW. The way the project is laid out I'm able to run unit-tests without many configuration changes between the configuration as deployed in tomcat and when it is being exercised with the unit-tests.

Today was upgrade day and I started with moving to Spring 2.5.5. I literally dropped the new Spring files listed below over the old ones.

tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/aspectjrt.jar
    tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/spring-webmvc.jar
    tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/spring-aspects.jar
    tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/spring.jar
    tomcat/server/lib/spring-tomcat-weaver.jar
    tomcat/additional/lib/aspectjweaver.jar

My unit-tests run fine but when I start Tomcat the application appears to work until I try to access it and I'm hit with NullPointerExceptions on the dependencies that Spring/AspectJ is supposed to inject with the @Configurable annotations.

My setenv.sh is unchanged from Spring 2.5.0:

JAVA_OPTS="-XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xmx768m -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=29001 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -javaagent:$CATALINA_HOME/additional/lib/aspectjweaver.jar"

and Tomcat echos the correct command line back to me when it starts up.

My context.xml is still set as:
    Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
    <Context path="/" debug="9" reloadable="true">
            <ResourceLink global='jdbc/dev' name='jdbc/dev' type="javax.sql.Datasource" />
            <Loader loaderClass="org.springframework.instrument.classloading.tomcat.TomcatInstrumentableClassLoader"
                    useSystemClassLoaderAsParent="false" />
    </Context>
    What changed with LTW in Spring 2.5.5?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Stan
    Last edited by stan.carney; Aug 23rd, 2008, 12:31 AM. Reason: The f'ing thing thought I was pasting URLs to other sites. Just replacing the content with my original

It seems (as you may have already realized) that the aspects are not getting woven.

Can you try modifying your aop.xml to get more detailed weaver information:
    Code:
    <weaver options="-verbose -showWeaveInfo">
    -Ramnivas

Comment

Thanks for your response Ramnivas. So I started over again reverting all my changes and started the process of upgrading taking smaller steps. After upgrading the libraries I ended up with the exact inverse situation I had above, Tomcat would run fine but my unit-tests would NPE on injected resources when run from Ant but not in Eclipse. I tracked the issue, well what fixed my problem, down to the fact that aspectjweaver.jar was provided as the -javaagent in both eclipse and ant it was only part of the eclipse project classpath, not the ant target that runs the unit-tests. Placing aspectjweaver.jar on the ant targets classpath caused things to work as normal.

So ignoring my first attempt as I might have botched something when copying and upgrading the libs it appears with Spring 2.5.5 aspectjweaver.jar needs to be on the classpath and not just listed as the -javaagent?

Thanks again,
      Stan

Comment

Hi,

I'm having basically the same problem, injection of beans into non-spring managed objects is working fine when I run unit tests, but not when running the application in appserver (Resin).
        Both executions are within my IDE (Eclipse), I am running Resin as a regular java app in Eclipse for simplicity, and the aspectj jars are on the classpath in both cases.
        When starting the unit test I have to provide the VM arg : -javaagent:${MAVEN_REPO}/org.springframework/jars/spring-agent-2.5.5.jar , otherwise there is an error message.

In the resin execution, it picks up the ReflectiveLoadTimeWeaver automatically, however unless I supply the javaagent there is no aspectj related log output - very odd?

Here is output from the unit test excecution (some trimming of unrelated stuff in logs to make it readable)
        Code:
        2008-10-14 18:35:51,132 INFO [main] org.springframework.context.weaving.DefaultContextLoadTimeWeaver - Found Spring's JVM agent for instrumentation
        [AppClassLoader@9fbe93] info AspectJ Weaver Version 1.6.0 built on Wednesday Apr 23, 2008 at 20:27:36 GMT
        [AppClassLoader@9fbe93] info register classloader sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader@9fbe93
        [AppClassLoader@9fbe93] info using configuration file:/Users/christian/.maven/repository/org.springframework/jars/spring-aspects-2.5.5.jar!/META-INF/aop.xml
        [AppClassLoader@9fbe93] info register aspect org.springframework.beans.factory.aspectj.AnnotationBeanConfigurerAspect
        [AppClassLoader@9fbe93] info register aspect org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AnnotationTransactionAspect
        2008-10-14 18:35:54,870 INFO [main] org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DriverManagerDataSource - Loaded JDBC driver: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
        [AppClassLoader@9fbe93] weaveinfo Extending interface set for type 'estalea.ir.am.member.domain.Member' (Member.java) to include 'org.springframework.beans.factory.aspectj.AbstractInterfaceDrivenDependencyInjectionAspect$ConfigurableDeserializationSupport' (D:\projects\spring\spring\aspectj\src\org\springframework\beans\factory\aspectj\AnnotationBeanConfigurerAspect.aj)
        [AppClassLoader@9fbe93] weaveinfo Extending interface set for type 'estalea.ir.am.member.domain.Member' (Member.java) to include 'org.springframework.beans.factory.aspectj.ConfigurableObject' (D:\projects\spring\spring\aspectj\src\org\springframework\beans\factory\aspectj\AnnotationBeanConfigurerAspect.aj)
        [AppClassLoader@9fbe93] weaveinfo Type 'estalea.ir.am.member.domain.Member' (Member.java) has intertyped method from 'org.springframework.beans.factory.aspectj.AbstractInterfaceDrivenDependencyInjectionAspect' (D:\projects\spring\spring\aspectj\src\org\springframework\beans\factory\aspectj\AbstractInterfaceDrivenDependencyInjectionAspect.aj:'java.lang.Object org.springframework.beans.factory.aspectj.AbstractInterfaceDrivenDependencyInjectionAspect$ConfigurableDeserializationSupport.readResolve()')
        [AppClassLoader@9fbe93] weaveinfo Join point 'initialization(void org.springframework.beans.factory.aspectj.ConfigurableObject.<init>())' in Type 'estalea.ir.am.member.domain.Member' (Member.java:101) advised by before advice from 'org.springframework.beans.factory.aspectj.AnnotationBeanConfigurerAspect' (D:\projects\spring\spring\aspectj\src\org\springframework\beans\factory\aspectj\AbstractDependencyInjectionAspect.aj:78) [with runtime test]
        [AppClassLoader@9fbe93] weaveinfo Join point 'initialization(void org.springframework.beans.factory.aspectj.ConfigurableObject.<init>())' in Type 'estalea.ir.am.member.domain.Member' (Member.java:101) advised by afterReturning advice from 'org.springframework.beans.factory.aspectj.AnnotationBeanConfigurerAspect' (D:\projects\spring\spring\aspectj\src\org\springframework\beans\factory\aspectj\AbstractDependencyInjectionAspect.aj:87) [with runtime test]
        and corresponding from the resin execution, with the -javaagent flag: (note the lack of "Member.java" weaving)
        Code:
        2008-10-14 19:11:05,275 INFO [main] org.springframework.context.weaving.DefaultContextLoadTimeWeaver - Found Spring's JVM agent for instrumentation
        2008-10-14 19:11:17,512 INFO [main] org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTransactionManager - Using DataSource [DBPool[jdbc/iramDS]] of Hibernate SessionFactory for HibernateTransactionManager
        [EnvironmentClassLoader@32b694] info AspectJ Weaver Version 1.6.0 built on Wednesday Apr 23, 2008 at 20:27:36 GMT
        [EnvironmentClassLoader@32b694] info register classloader com.caucho.loader.EnvironmentClassLoader@32b694
        [EnvironmentClassLoader@32b694] info using configuration file:/Users/christian/.maven/repository/org.springframework/jars/spring-aspects-2.5.5.jar!/META-INF/aop.xml
        [EnvironmentClassLoader@32b694] info register aspect org.springframework.beans.factory.aspectj.AnnotationBeanConfigurerAspect
        [EnvironmentClassLoader@32b694] info register aspect org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AnnotationTransactionAspect
        2008-10-14 19:11:31,657 INFO [main] org.springframework.security.intercept.AbstractSecurityInterceptor - Validated configuration attributes
        2008-10-14 19:11:31,777 WARN [main] org.springframework.security.intercept.AbstractSecurityInterceptor - Could not validate configuration attributes as the ObjectDefinitionSource did not return a ConfigAttributeDefinition collection
        [EnvironmentClassLoader@32b694] weaveinfo Join point 'method-execution(int $Proxy68.hashCode())' in Type '$Proxy68' (no debug info available) advised by before advice from 'org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AnnotationTransactionAspect' (D:\projects\spring\spring\aspectj\src\org\springframework\transaction\aspectj\AbstractTransactionAspect.aj:60) [with runtime test]
        [EnvironmentClassLoader@32b694] weaveinfo Join point 'method-execution(int $Proxy68.hashCode())' in Type '$Proxy68' (no debug info available) advised by afterThrowing advice from 'org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AnnotationTransactionAspect' (D:\projects\spring\spring\aspectj\src\org\springframework\transaction\aspectj\AbstractTransactionAspect.aj:67) [with runtime test]
        [EnvironmentClassLoader@32b694] weaveinfo Join point 'method-execution(int $Proxy68.hashCode())' in Type '$Proxy68' (no debug info available) advised by afterReturning advice from 'org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AnnotationTransactionAspect' (D:\projects\spring\spring\aspectj\src\org\springframework\transaction\aspectj\AbstractTransactionAspect.aj:77) [with runtime test]
        [EnvironmentClassLoader@32b694] weaveinfo Join point 'method-execution(int $Proxy68.hashCode())' in Type '$Proxy68' (no debug info available) advised by after advice from 'org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AnnotationTransactionAspect' (D:\projects\spring\spring\aspectj\src\org\springframework\transaction\aspectj\AbstractTransactionAspect.aj:82) [with runtime test]
        [EnvironmentClassLoader@32b694] weaveinfo Join point 'method-execution(estalea.base.entity.PersistentEntity $Proxy68.get(long))' in Type '$Proxy68' (no debug info available) advised by before advice from 'org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AnnotationTransactionAspect' (D:\projects\spring\spring\aspectj\src\org\springframework\transaction\aspectj\AbstractTransactionAspect.aj:60) [with runtime test]
        [EnvironmentClassLoader@32b694] weaveinfo Join point 'method-execution(estalea.base.entity.PersistentEntity $Proxy68.get(long))' in Type '$Proxy68' (no debug info available) advised by afterThrowing advice from 'org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AnnotationTransactionAspect' (D:\projects\spring\spring\aspectj\src\org\springframework\transaction\aspectj\AbstractTransactionAspect.aj:67) [with runtime test]
        [EnvironmentClassLoader@32b694] weaveinfo Join point 'method-execution(estalea.base.entity.PersistentEntity $Proxy68.get(long))' in Type '$Proxy68' (no debug info available) advised by afterReturning advice from 'org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AnnotationTransactionAspect' (D:\projects\spring\spring\aspectj\src\org\springframework\transaction\aspectj\AbstractTransactionAspect.aj:77) [with runtime test]
        [EnvironmentClassLoader@32b694] weaveinfo Join point 'method-execution(estalea.base.entity.PersistentEntity $Proxy68.get(long))' in Type '$Proxy68' (no debug info available) advised by after advice from 'org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AnnotationTransactionAspect' (D:\projects\spring\spring\aspectj\src\org\springframework\transaction\aspectj\AbstractTransactionAspect.aj:82) [with runtime test]
        Here is the corresponding resin output *without* the -javaagent flag - no aspectj related stuff at all even though log output flags set..
        Code:
        2008-10-14 19:19:48,562 INFO [main] org.springframework.context.weaving.DefaultContextLoadTimeWeaver - Using a reflective load-time weaver for class loader: com.caucho.loader.EnvironmentClassLoader
        2008-10-14 19:19:59,525 INFO [main] org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTransactionManager - Using DataSource [DBPool[jdbc/iramDS]] of Hibernate SessionFactory for HibernateTransactionManager
        coming_file_cache,ir_ap_incoming_file_cache_mon,ir_ap_status_page,ir_ap_conversion_file_loader]; root of factory hierarchy
        2008-10-14 19:20:01,912 INFO [main] org.springframework.ui.velocity.VelocityEngineFactoryBean - Loading Velocity config from [class path resource [velocity.properties]]
        Any help greatly appreciated,

/ Christian

Comment

ok, I was able to verify that it works fine when running "pure" appserver, i.e. using a Resin installation and a war.
          So there is something in the classloading in my Eclipse/Resin setup that messes this up..

Comment

I am experiencing the same issues and have not yet resolved them.

I'm using tomcat 6.0.18, Spring 2.5, and CXF.

I want to add the @Configurable annotations to my domain classes that are created through JAX-B.

I have:
            tomcat/webapps/CxfPrototype/META-INF/aop.xml
            tomcat/webapps/CxfPrototype/WEB-INF/classes ... [all service class files]
            tomcat/webapps/CxfPrototype/WEB-INF/lib/Beans.jar ... [domain classes to be woven]
            tomcat/webapps/CxfPrototype/WEB-INF/lib/spring*.jar
            tomcat/lib/spring-tomcat-weaver.jar
            tomcat/lib/aspectjweaver.jar

TOmcat is started with -javaagent:/path/to/spring-agent.jar

Is aop.xml deployed to the correct place? Do I need a context.xml? Where exactly should it be deployed?
            Does it need to contain the line:
            <ResourceLink global='jdbc/dev' name='jdbc/dev' type="javax.sql.Datasource" />
            This is specific to Stan's application, right?

When I turn on verbose weaving I see no difference in the log files.

Any help is appreciated.
            Last edited by HamletDRC; Apr 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM. Reason: added startup agent info

Comment

Your aop.xml isn't in the right place. It should be either:
              - In tomcat/webapps/CxfPrototype/WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/aop.xml
              or
              - In a jar file under tomcat/webapps/CxfPrototype/WEB-INF/lib (as META-INF/aop.xml)

-Ramnivas

Comment

LTW in Tomcat

I'm having a similar problem; I have a Spring service, and I want a GWT client to be able to work with it without modifying the service's source code. The service already implements all the methods of the GWT interface; it's a matter of duck-typing.

The Spring AOP @DeclareParents() annotation fails here, as it requires a defaultImpl argument, and none is necessary or required. So, I need to use Load Time Weaving. I have added the <context:load-time-weaving/> tag to my spring-servlet.xml file, and I have created an aop.xml file in META-INF/. (I did not put it in WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/ -- is that really necessary?)

So, I have a HelloServiceImpl class as a Spring service, wired with some arguments in the spring-context xml file.

Code:
                <bean name="helloService" class="com.mantech.HelloServiceImpl">
                    <property .../>
                    <property .../>
                </bean>

<bean name="helloController" class="...GwtRpcController">
                    <property name="remoteService" ref="helloService"/>
                </bean>
                Code:
                public class HelloServiceImpl {
                    // This will be in a separate jar file.
                }
                changed from

Code:
                public class HelloServiceImpl implements HelloService {

}
                I have a HelloServiceIntroduction aspect:

Code:
                @Aspect
                public class HelloServiceIntroduction {
                    @DeclareParents("HelloServiceImpl") 
                    private HelloService Service;
                }
                I have an aop.xml file

Code:
                <aspectj>
                    <weaver>
                        <include within="com.mantech.aop.*" />
                    </weaver>
                    <aspects>
                        <aspect name="com.mantech.aop.HelloServiceIntroduction"/>
                    </aspects>
                </aspectj>
                I have modified my Tomcat definition in Eclipse to use -javaagent:.../spring-agent.jar.

I do not get errors in the load-time-weaving process, but the wiring of helloService to helloController fails with a ClassCastException.

Can anyone help me? Shouldn't it be easy to do duck-typing in Spring AOP?

Comment

Working...
                X