X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Spring AOP

I'm just getting started with Spring AOP and I'm trying to add some simple logging into my web app. For logging purposes I want to implement the MethodBeforeAdvice, and AfterReturningAdvice so that I have access to the method names that will be called. To get things started I am trying to add logging to my Dao. My advice class looks like this:

public class BasicLoggingAdvice implements
    MethodBeforeAdvice, AfterReturningAdvice, ThrowsAdvice
    {

public void before(Method method, Object[] params, Object target) throws Throwable
    {
    System.out.println("Entered method: " + method.getName());
    }

public void afterReturning(Object retVal, Method method, Object[] params, Object target) throws Throwable
    {
    System.out.println("Exited method: " + method.getName());
    }

public void afterThrowing(Method method, Object[] params, Object target, Throwable e)
    {
    System.out.println("Exception occurred: " + e.getMessage());
    }
    }

Spring configuration:

<bean id="simpleAdvice" class="com.pwg.tradedemo.aspects.logging.BasicLogg ingAdvice" />

<bean id="simpleAdvisor"
    class="org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AspectJExpr essionPointcutAdvisor"
    p:expression="execution(* com.pwg.tradedemo.dal.jpa.JpaTradesDao.*(..))"
    p:advice-ref="simpleAdvice"/>

<bean class="org.springframework.aop.framework.autoproxy .DefaultAdvisorAutoProxyCreator"/>

It seems like my problem is with my pointcut, when I use "execution(* *.getTrades())" everything seems to work fine. I'm not receiving any exceptions, I'm just not getting any results. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Are you sure your pointcut points to the correct class and you use that class when calling your methods ?

Comment

Class name is correct

Thanks for the reply Andrei. I double checked the class and package name and I am positive they are correct. I know that the class is getting used because it is my only dao and I am receiving data from the database.

If any other information would help just let me know.

Shane

Comment

Assuming JpaTradesDao is an interface, does getTrades method exist in it ?
        Can you post, please, the interface, implementing class and the test case ?

Comment

Figured it out

Andrei,

Your last post made it "click" for me. JpaTradesDao is a concrete class for TradesDao. I was calling getTrades through the TradesDao but I had my pointcut set up for JpaTradesDao. I didn't realize that would make a difference. It's awesome that you can set up a pointcut for an interface (Spring is SWEET).

Here is what I changed by bean definition to.

<bean id="simpleAdvisor"
          class="org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AspectJExpr essionPointcutAdvisor"
          p:expression="execution(* com.pwg.tradedemo.dao.TradesDao.*(..))"
          p:advice-ref="simpleAdvice"/>

Thanks for all of your help Andrei.

Shane

Comment

Working...
          X