Code:
    public class PointcutTest extends TestCase {

public void testPointcut() throws Exception {
    		AspectJExpressionPointcut p = new AspectJExpressionPointcut();
    		p.setExpression("execution(* *.service.*(..))");
    		assertFalse(p.matches(java.lang.Long.class));
    	}

}

I'm forced to use this construction. Is this the intended behavior or it is a bug?

Code:

public void testPointcutWithWithin() throws Exception {
    		p.setExpression("within(com.xyz..AccountService) && execution(* com.xyz..AccountService.*(..))");
    		assertFalse(p.matches(java.lang.Long.class));
    	}

Comment

First of all your first pointcut is wrong.

Code:
      execution(* *.service.*(..))
      The wildcard in AspectJ expression language is '..' not a '*' the '*' is for 1 level the otherone is for 0 or more levels. Next to that you specify an execution pointcut but aren't trying to execute anything. Also your pointcut is off on that because you either aren't defining a method to call or aren't defining a class to intercept.

Code:
      execution(* *..service.*.*(..))
      Is the actuall expression to use.

Next to that you should check if a method call would match the pointcut.

Code:
      public void testPointcut() throws Exception {
      	p.setExpression("execution(* *..service.*.*(..))");
      	Method m = ClassUtils.getMethodIfAvailable(Long.class, "valueOf", new Class[] {String.class});
      	assertFalse(p.matches(m, java.lang.Long.class, new Object[] {"12"}));
      }
      However one question I have is WHY are you doing this?!
      Last edited by Marten Deinum; Mar 7th, 2008, 07:16 AM. Reason: Copy/Paste error.

Comment

Thank you for the response. Please excuse me for the first post. It was a copy/paste error. The second one contains the correct AspectJ expression.
        The reason for doing this is a sequence of code in AopUtils.canApply(..) method
        Code:
        if (!pc.getClassFilter().matches(targetClass)) {
        			return false;
        }
        I was in debug and expected that this returned false but it didn't. I thought that this is the normal execution path because the expression includes a pattern for matching the actual class. When using within(...) expression the code works. Can you please explain what is the purpose of this? Thank you.

Comment

You are comparing apples and oranges here. The matches here is the matches of the ClassFilter NOT the matches of the Pointcut!

Hmm not entirely true I check the implementation you use and getClassFilter() returns this so p.matches and p.getClassFilter().matches do the same....

Comment

I don't think I understand when this sequence returns false. The AspectJPointcut.getClassFilter() returns this as the class filter. My test result is the same when using p.getClassFilter(). Maybe I didn't understand correctly what is the purpose of the ClassFilter? Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X