X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trouble with <tx:annotation-driven/> and hibernate

I'm new to Spring, but i've read a lot of documentation(even searched this forum for this topic) , but still can't figure this one out. need help from anyone with experience with @Transactional using <tx:annotation-driven>

I have this:

<bean id="transactionManager"
    class="org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.Hibernat eTransactionManager">
    <property name="sessionFactory" ref="sessionFactory"/>
    </bean>

<tx:annotation-driven/>

"sessionFactory" is correctly defined.
    Then my service class (Which uses Hibernate 3.1) has this:

@Transactional(propagation=Propagation.REQUIRES_NE W, readOnly=true)
    public User getUserByUsername(String username) {
    return ((User) getSession()
    .createQuery("from User u where u.username like :un")
    .setString("un", username)
    .setMaxResults(1)
    .uniqueResult());
    }

then this is from the stack trace:

09:51:11,491 ERROR AutoHandler:30 - createQuery is not valid without active transaction
    org.hibernate.HibernateException: createQuery is not valid without active transaction
    at org.hibernate.context.ThreadLocalSessionContext$Tr ansactionProtectionWrapper.invoke(ThreadLocalSessi onContext.java:297)
    at $Proxy39.createQuery(Unknown Source)
    at net.ehosp.model.daoImpl.UserDAOHibernate.getUserBy Username(UserDAOHibernate.java:61)
    at net.ehosp.controller.LoginActionBean.login(LoginAc tionBean.java:136)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)

Any ideas? is this a problem with hibernate?

Your DAO instance is not being managed by Spring, and therefore the transactional proxy is not being applied. You should be getting the DAO instance from Spring (typically using dependency-injection into the calling object). How are you currently getting this object?

Comment

Thanks. The DAO is being managed by Spring through dependency injection.

Comment

How are you instantiating the spring context? A common mistake is to use of the BeanFactory implementations instead of a full-fledged ApplicationContext.

Comment

I'm having the same problem. Have you found a solution?

Comment

No I still haven't figured it out. I actually gave up for a while!

In response to Plethora's question about how i'm instantiating Spring, well I'm using Stripes, so Spring is loaded by a Stripes interceptor (net.sourceforge.stripes.integration.spring.Spring Interceptor), which is configure in web.xml.

I have a feeling it might have something to do with this, but i have no clue how. I'll post the question in the Stripes forum

Comment

I found out my issue. I'm using the 2.1-m4 release. It appears to be a bug. I reverted to 2.0.7 and everything worked.

Comment

please, what was your issue exactly, so i can see how to fix mine.

Comment

That's almost all there was to it. I'm using maven. I switched my dependency from 2.1-m4 to 2.0.7 and spring-test (from the new version) back to spring-mock. Then everything worked.

My setup was a DAO, xml configured sessionFactory, txManager, etc, and a junit test class extending AbstractTransactionalDataSourceSpringContextTests. Works with 2.0.7, not with 2.1-m4.

If you are using the new annotation stuff from 2.1 - the reason I wanted to give it a try - you may have to wait for an official release.

Comment

Working...
                  X