X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proxy for 3rd party interface

what i want to do: declare "before" advices for the nullSafeSet methods of the org.hibernate.type.Type interface (from the hibernate3 library)

what I have found in the docs (http://static.springframework.org/sp...#aop-pointcuts):
    "Spring AOP only supports method execution join points for Spring beans, so you can think of a pointcut as matching the execution of methods on Spring beans"

As I do not have a bean declaration for the Type interface, does this mean it's impossible to do it in Spring?

It depends...

By default Spring AOP works via a proxy based mechanism and with that it is impossible to declare a before advice on non spring managed beans. For that to work you would have to use loadtime weaving to enhance those classes.

Comment

You could also use the AspectJ language to specify a pointcut on the call to that 3rd party class.

Comment

in the docs, Spring LTW is explained on Java 5. I'm in a 1.4 environment.

what I did (applicationContext.xml):
        Code:
        	<bean id="hibernateQueryAdvisor" class="com.company.HibernateQueryAdvisor">
        	</bean>
        	<aop:config>
        		<aop:aspect ref="hibernateQueryAdvisor">
        			<aop:before method="exposeQueryParameters" pointcut="execution(* org.hibernate.type.Type.nullSafeSet(..))"/>
        		</aop:aspect>
        	</aop:config>
        the advisor:
        Code:
        package com.company;

import org.apache.commons.logging.Log;
        import org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory;
        import org.aspectj.lang.ProceedingJoinPoint;
        import org.hibernate.type.Type;

public class HibernateQueryAdvisor {
        	private static Log logger = LogFactory.getLog(HibernateQueryAdvisor.class);
        	//cache this, because it was a significant performance cost;
        	private static final boolean IS_TRACE_ENABLED = logger.isTraceEnabled();

public Object exposeQueryParameters(ProceedingJoinPoint call) throws Throwable {
        		try {
        			if ( IS_TRACE_ENABLED ) {
        				if (call.getTarget() instanceof Type) {
        					final Object[] args = call.getArgs();
        					Object value = args[1];
        					Object index = args[2];
        					logger.trace( "binding '" + value + "' to parameter: " + index );
        				}
        			}
        			return call.proceed();
        		} finally {
        			// do nothing
        		}
        	}
        }
        however, this "breaks" the initialisation of at least one unrelated Spring bean and my context no longer loads.

can this really be done in Spring 2.0.3, using only <aop:xxx> tags, in a 1.4 environement?

Comment

No... Spring AOP works proxy based and proxies are only generated for beans defined in the Spring context. LTW is also only available from JDK 1.5+.

Originally posted by -FoX-
          You could also use the AspectJ language to specify a pointcut on the call to that 3rd party class.
          call isn't supported for AspectJ i.c.m. with Spring AOP, for that to work you would need LTW or CTW.

Comment

Working...
          X