X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one simple question to ask

Hello all, I am new in AOP, I have one question, is that so that to Log event, for example what time user login when user log out, which service or method is used by a certain user etc. To log such events , AOP is a good choice? Another question can the log event information be output as a file like pdf file?

Originally posted by blust1984 View Post
    Hello all, I am new in AOP, I have one question, is that so that to Log event, for example what time user login when user log out, which service or method is used by a certain user etc. To log such events , AOP is a good choice?
    Yes. You can decorate method invocations via AOP to do things before and/ or after as you wish. Logging, especially for auditing and tracing purposes, is a quite common usecase for AOP.

Originally posted by blust1984 View Post
    Another question can the log event information be output as a file like pdf file?
    In theory yes. Though the overhead would be big and I am not sure whether it is possible to dynamically create PDF documents. A better solution would be to create plain text files of limited size (e.g. using a RollingFileAppender) and convert these to PDF later.

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas Senft View Post
      I am not sure whether it is possible to dynamically create PDF documents.
      Of course that's possible Spring itself comes with an AbstractPdfView (which won't be usable here). And Cocoon offers a FOPSerializer since years.

So it's more or less only a question of integration. But I would definitely not add it to the logging since it's a PDF rendering is really resource intensive process.

Jörg

Comment

Originally posted by Jörg Heinicke View Post
        Of course that's possible Spring itself comes with an AbstractPdfView (which won't be usable here). And Cocoon offers a FOPSerializer since years.
        Hi Jörg,
        yes I have been aware of that, but I did express myself unclear. With "dynamically" I meant to dynamically append to an existing PDF document as required by logging. What I am not sure is, whether it would be as simple as just adding a line like in a text file.

Originally posted by Jörg Heinicke View Post
        So it's more or less only a question of integration. But I would definitely not add it to the logging since it's a PDF rendering is really resource intensive process.
        Indeed. Irrespective of the fact how simple it might be, I also do not think that it would be a good idea.

Regards,
        Andreas

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas Senft View Post
          What I am not sure is, whether it would be as simple as just adding a line like in a text file.
          I think iText is quite good in this regard (modifying PDFs). We use it for splitting huge PDFs in multiple files and adding preview watermarks to preview versions. But since I did not implement it I can't tell so much about it.

Jörg

Comment

Working...
          X