Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing AspectJ and XML style

Hi,

I want to write a logging aspect class which defines the logging methods and the advices. Since I want the pointcouts (which methods shall be logged) being configurable I cannot declare them as annotation.
    So is it possible to declare the pointcuts in XML?

Thx.

In case you are using aspectj with spring, yes it is possible to declare pointcut in xml.

Comment

The problem is that I do not know how to mix...

Code:
      @Aspect
      public class TestAspect {
        @After("finally()")
        public void doit() {
        }
      }

<bean id="testAspect" class="TestAspect" autowire="byType"></bean>

<aop:config>
        <aop:pointcut id="finally" expression="execution(public * Service1.delete(..))"/>
      </aop:config>
      I get the error: can't find referenced pointcut finally

Comment

Why not do the following?

Code:
        <aop:config>
          <aop:aspect ref="testAspect">
              <aop:after method="doIt" pointcut="execution(public * Service1.delete(..))"/>
        -Ramnivas

Comment

Yes, of couse. But then the complete AOP stuff in in XML style, not annotations at all.

Comment

What is the use case that you are trying to address? Specifically, what do you want to gain by using annotations?

I do see a possibility of supporting abstract/concrete aspect idea, where you would define an abstract pointcut in an abstract aspect and then specify the definition for the pointcut in a subaspect defined using XML syntax (a similar idea is currently available in AspectJ). This is currently not supported in AspectJ-style Spring AOP, but if there is compelling use case, I can imagine supporting it in a future version.

-Ramnivas

Comment

Originally posted by ramnivas View Post
              I do see a possibility of supporting abstract/concrete aspect idea, where you would define an abstract pointcut in an abstract aspect and then specify the definition for the pointcut in a subaspect defined using XML syntax (a similar idea is currently available in AspectJ).
              This is what i meant. Thx. So I will use XML.

Comment

Working...
              X