X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caching with AOP and ProceedingJoinPoint

I'm running into a problem that I am sure there is a logical explanation for that I don't get so any help here is really appreciated.

I have the following around advice to do some simply caching for a method.

@Around("execution(String UserManager.lookupUserName(int)) "
    + "&& args(id) ")
    public Object onLookupUserName(ProceedingJoinPoint proceedingJoinPoint,
    int id) throws Throwable {

String cacheKey = proceedingJoinPoint.toLongString();
    Element cacheElement = cache.get(cacheKey);

if (cacheElement == null) {

// Call through
    Object userName = proceedingJoinPoint.proceed();

// Add the result to the cache
    cacheElement = new Element(cacheKey, userName);

cache.put(cacheElement);
    }

return cacheElement.getValue();
    }

The part in bold is the key to this. This method is not executed if the bold part is as shown above. However, if I change the String cacheKey = proceedingJoinPoint.toLongString(); to String cacheKey = "username" + id, that is, I take out the use of proceedingJoinPoint it works perfectly.

For some reason referencing proceedingJoinPoint before calling proceedingJoinPoint.proceed() causes my around advice to not be executed.

The reason I want to use proceedingJoinPoint.toLongString() as the cache key is so that I can apply this advice to several methods without having to write complex pointcut statements or use multiple advices.

Thanks in advance,
    Randy

No extra information i can give you if you don't show me the error, can you change log mode to debug or trace and post it?

Thank you very much.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. There is no error it's just that my Around advice method is not applied if I have "proceedingJoinPoint.toLongString()" within my Around advice method.

Comment

Have you stepped through your code in debug mode? I ask because using proceedingJoinPoint.toLongString() seems problematic. It's possible that the cacheElement is null, and that's why your proceed() method is never getting called.
        Last edited by ekoeler; Dec 11th, 2006, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X