X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the method called by a MethodInterceptor

I am trying to assemble a MethodInterceptor that queues up results from an underlying class. Examples of when to use this might include a Fibboniacci sequence or a list of prime numbers (neither of which are exactly what I'm doing, but that's a different topic). In my case, it makes sense to queue these up because I'm going across to a remote server which is performing the calculations, and I want to minimize network hops.

I'll use the prime number example for reference.

I have an Interface as follows:
    public interface PrimeNumberSequencer
    {
    public long getNextPrime();
    public long[] getNextNPrimes(int n);
    }

In my MethodInterceptor, I already have the logic to determine whether I'm calling the single-result method or the multiple-result method. I also already wired up a queue (currently handled by a Jakarta Commons Unlimited FIFO queue) so I can add and remove values as needed.

I already have the code working for getNextNPrimes(int). In my invoke() method, I simply clone the MethodInvocation and modify the "n" argument value to return more values than I originally asked for.

My problem is the code for getNextPrime()... I'd like it to call getNextNPrimes(int) instead of getNextPrime(), if my queue is empty. But I can't figure out how to do this. I can't do it by cloning the MethodInvocation(which is really a ReflectiveMethodInvocation), because I can't set the method after doing the clone. And I can't create a new ReflectiveMethodInvocation with the same values as the original MethodInvocation because I can't access the target class.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

You could use reflection to call "invoke".

getThis will return the target of the proxy. You can then use it to invoke the target using relection:

Code:
      Object target = getThis();
      Class clazz = target.getClass();
      Method m = clazz.getMethod("getNextNPrimes", new Class[] {int.class});
      m.invoke(target, new Object[] { new Integer(myInt) });
    Of course in reality you'd want to do some caching do improve the performance of the reflection, but this is the general idea.

Comment

Working...
    X