Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with Spring AOP and Google App Engine

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Spring AOP and was trying to practice a bit by creating a small web project for the Google App Engine. Unfortunately, I can't get my example to run. I was going to set up a tracer-aspect that should produce log output for Operations that are annotated with the @Traced annotation i created for this purpose. Here is my aspect:

Code:
    @Aspect
    public class TraceAspect {

// This pointcut should match any operation in the package chargen and its sub-packages, which are annotated with the chargen.aspect.Traced annotation
    	@Pointcut("execution(* chargen..*.*(..)) && @annotation(chargen.aspect.Traced)")
            public void tracedOperation() {}

// This advice should be run before the "tracedOperation()" pointcut
    	@Before("chargen.aspect.TraceAspect.tracedOperation()")
    	public void logBefore(Traced traced) {
    		System.out.println("intercepted before call ");
    	}

// This advice should be run after the "tracedOperation()" pointcut
    	@After("chargen.aspect.TraceAspect.tracedOperation()")
    	public void logAfter(Traced traced) {
    		System.out.println("intercepted after call ");
    	}
    }
    I have configured my beans.xml according to http://static.springsource.org/sprin...rence/aop.html (added <aop:aspectj-autoproxy/> plus namespaces and configured my aspect as a Spring bean.

If I run my example, nothing happens. Neither Exceptions are thrown nor any advice is beeing executed. I figure I must have made some mistake, but I have been comparing my code and config to the tutorial over and over again, not beeing able to figure out what I have done wrong. I'm using a DefaultListableBeanFactory to create my Spring beans. Are there any known issues with Spring AOP and Google App Engine? Does anybody know what i'm doing wrong? Any help is highly appreciated.

For starters you have a pointcut without arguments (your tracedOperation has no parameter) so it doesn't match. Either add it to the method or move the @annotation part to the before/after methods.

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out. Guess I have to read the tutorial again. I have now adjusted my aspect as follows:

Code:
      @Aspect
      public class TraceAspect {

@Pointcut("execution(* chargen..*.*(..))")
              public void anyOperation() {}

@Before("chargen.aspect.TraceAspect.anyOperation() && @annotation(chargen.aspect.Traced)")
      	public void logBefore(Traced traced) {
      		System.out.println("intercepted before call ");
      	}

@After("chargen.aspect.TraceAspect.anyOperation() && @annotation(chargen.aspect.Traced)")
      	public void logAfter(Traced traced) {
      		System.out.println("intercepted after call ");
      	}
      }
      Unfortunately, my annotated methods still won't be advised. I have just realized, that the method I want to be advised has an @Override annotation in addition to the @Traced annotation. Could it be that the advice is not being matched due to the additional annotation? Are annotations matched inclusively or exclusively?

Comment

The extra annotation shouldn't matter.

Make sure the bean you want to advice is in the same context as the aspect and the aop:aspectj-autoproxy... Also make sure you are using the beans and not creating new instances yourself.

Comment

Thank you for your help, Marten. I think, I found the problem. The Spring AOP feature seems to require an application context. I was just using a default listable bean factory. Now that I have refactored my code to use an app context, I get the following exception:

Code:
           org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'org.springframework.aop.config.internalAutoProxyCreator': Instantiation of bean failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Could not instantiate bean class [org.springframework.aop.aspectj.annotation.AnnotationAwareAspectJAutoProxyCreator]: Constructor threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/aopalliance/intercept/MethodInterceptor:
          This means Spring is trying to setup the aspect and fails, due to restrictions of the Google App Engine, I fear. I'm pretty sure I've got all the required jar's (double checked this). I have sort of expected this. If anybody knows about any issues with Spring AOP and GAE and knows how to work arround them, I would highly appreciate any sort of help.

Comment

Judging from the stack trace you are missing the aopalliance.jar... I suggest using maven/ant+ivy/gradle to manage your dependencies, that should save you a whole lot of headaches. If this wouldn't work nothing would work (transactions etc. are implemented with aop as well).

Comment

yes... I know I should use maven. I have never tried maven, though and thought I could take one step at a time. But maybe it helps to get hurt before using smart build systems, so I know exactly from what kind of mistakes they protect me. Again, thank you for your help, Marten. I shall try the aopalliance.jar tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
              X