X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search problems

Did something change with the search capabilities? When I try to search using a class name that is somewhat long (e.g. AutowireCapableBeanFactory) I get an error saying the word is too long. That is a major limitation that I don't recall before.

Comment

Originally posted by msauer
      Did something change with the search capabilities? When I try to search using a class name that is somewhat long (e.g. AutowireCapableBeanFactory) I get an error saying the word is too long. That is a major limitation that I don't recall before.
      This is the single worst aspect of the new forum. The search is next to useless. There's going to be a lot of duplicate posts (as well as a lot of "lost" information) due to this.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by msauer
        The maximum search word length is just a tunable parameter. Basically words between the configured min and max search word length are indexed. I had played with the low-end, leaving it at 4 chars (to not kill the index), but adding in some common 3 char words like AOP, etc., but had not really noticed the upper limit was 20.

I've set it to 64 chars now. The system is still re-indexing, but once that's done, basically you should be able to search for any class name which exists in Spring, even some monsters like AbstractTransactionalDataSourceSpringContextTests or the like :-)

Regards,

Comment

Thanks Colin! The alternative would have been to reduce the length of the error messages :-))

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Matzner
            Joking aside: Those links are important. Many questions put in this forum concern similar basic gaps in users' knowledge, or misunderstandings. The rule for anyone having a question is therefore to do a thorough search of possible answers before putting the question for the 14th time. This saves both time for people having lots of questions (like myself) and those having the experience to answer them (like yourself).

Those missing links cut users off from possible answers to their questions. As a result, questions the answers of which are already present might be posed again.
            So what's the verdict on broken links to the old forum? Just came up against this today... is there a way to discover the thread that they originally linked to?

Comment

Working...
            X