X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by costin
    I have to say that at least for me the forum loads and moves a LOT faster then it used to.
    Hear, hear. And I like "Quick Reply" very much.

Comment

Hihihi ...

l have a thought , but it is an "unrelated" question in this post , sorry again .

l like to ask question here and l love spring forum very much -- simply because a lot of helpful people here.

l don't know why the forum being changed to vBulletin , the forum's performance seem to be one of the problem , yes , l notice too , the old forum was a little bit slow this few months , l wonder why it getting slow ? so l went to download a phpbb's source code , study how they design the database tables , and l found the database shema (mysql_shema.sql) , here is a code snipplet ,

Code:
      CREATE TABLE phpbb_posts_text (
         post_id mediumint(8) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL,
         bbcode_uid char(10) NOT NULL,
         post_subject char(60),
         post_text text,
         PRIMARY KEY (post_id)
      );
      l was thinking that , what if the phpbb_posts_text tables growth fast in a high volume forum ?

if the number of posts growing fast , will this cause the database performance getting slower ? of course , you won't see the problem, this is unnoticeable now, but the fast growing of phpbb_posts_text is a fact . The response time of hibernate forum is consider OK now , but what if 5 or 10 years later ?

Although this is a common database tables design (phpbb) , but l seldom see people discuss the performance impact on a database after 5 or 10 years , l search a lot references .. found no info ..

My question can be is simply restate - can vBulletin satify us after 15 year (or more) ?

l guess there must be a lot DBA expert here ....hahaha

moon

PS.

l just checked , spring have 38,727 posts , and hibernate have 98,264 now , this is far from my meaning of high volumn - so let's assume phpbb_posts_text have 10 millions posts.
      Last edited by yfmoan; Oct 28th, 2005, 06:46 AM.

Comment

the Gentoo Linux forum site uses phpBB and doesn't seem to suffer too many performance issues. They have appx. 100,000 registered users and 3m posts.
        http://forums.gentoo.org/

Regards,

Comment

return the old forums, please !!!

This is just too busy, with way too many frames around the frames around the frames. Whose idea was it to upgrade? Fine the person who did it by amking him/her do 45 push-ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
            Is there a way to edit the titles of posts. I started a thread asking for advice about a problem I'm having on showForm redirects in Spring MVC and the title has got cropped somehow.

The new software also seems to have problems showing JSTL tags that are typed.

Here's the post - http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=19053

The bit that appears <cotherwise> is actually the c(colon)otherwise tag - I checked this by editing the post. This will definitely cause problems in the Web forum.

Also, my entire post shows up as bold, yet there are no bold tags in there.

Bob
            The issue with the thread title seems to be that you put an xml element in it. It shows up properly on display of the thread in the smaller thread title a bit down, but not in the main thread title. There appears to be no way after the fact to edit the thread title.

As for the <c: otherwise>, (not that I added a space there), a ':' followed by an 'o', in the main part of the message, is interpreted as a smiley. This is shown in the "Smiled" area on the right of the edit box actually. This is trivial to stop from happening by checking the "disable smiles in text" checkbox, which is off by default.

As for why your message was all bold, I'm not 100% sure. After editing by me to set <c:otherwise> back to what it should be, it was no longer bold...

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by katentim
              Thanks Omar. Unfortunately it lists your posts and not your threads, so multiple posts to the one thread appear - but it's still useable. It'd also be nice to see who the last poster was. Other functionality appears to be good though.
              If you click on somebody's name, there is actually a link to find all posts by that user, as well as another link to find all threads...

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by costin
                Does vBulletin supports thread posting through emails (like mailing list) - like Jive?
                Nothing built-in. We actually were hoping to move to Jive, but couldn't get any sort of clean conversion of the old posts.

That said, I hope that we'll have news (NNTP) integration via a plugin in about 1-2 months. There is a plugin for vBulletin 3 that people use for this purpose. We're running vBulletin 3.5, which is the current version as of about a month ago, and the plugin is in alpha version for that, but the author has announced that now that vB 3.5 is out in final form he'll be taking the plugin to gold level.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by davison
                  the Gentoo Linux forum site uses phpBB and doesn't seem to suffer too many performance issues. They have appx. 100,000 registered users and 3m posts.
                  http://forums.gentoo.org/

Regards,
                  Darren,

We definitely had some serious performance issues. It's hard for me to say how much of this was due to phpBB and how much was due to sheer load on the system, but things are definitely better now with vBulletin.

Above and beyond that though, management was a nightmare. Just the tip of the iceberg is that at least every day or two, somebody would register, but their confirmation email would not make it to them. There was simply no way for these people to get the system to send them another confirmation email. This would usually result in an email to me, but I would actually have no way to look up their account half the time since it didn't support a search by email, just by exact username or exact fragment thereof. There were any number of other issues, including the pain of handling changes to templates (especially in the face of updates to the system), the absolute nightmare in terms of actually installing and managing multiple plugins (especially in the face of updates to the base system), and the fairly frequent security issues patches that required us to spend time upgrading the system.

On top of that, phpBB seems to be effectively dead. phpBB 2.0 was released in April of 2002. Version 3 (or 2.2 or whatever it has been called at various points), with a number of needed enhancements, has been promised as effectively "real soon now but we don't know when" for the better part of the time since that release, yet appears to be still a long ways off. The phpBB team just had a core person decide to leave. In their own words, "Paul S. Owen (better known as psoTFX to most of you), who put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears as the Lead Developer for phpBB2.0.x, phpBB3.0.x (n&#233;e Olympus) and more recently becoming the co-manager of the phpBB Project, has indefinitely left the team due to unforeseen personal reasons."

While the feature set of vBulletin is not as rich as Jive Forums (which would have been my first choice), it's still quite a bit better than phpBB, and we did manage to keep post data intact (links to old posts notwithstanding), which was the primary criteria in making any decision. It would actually be possible to fix up even old (internal) links, to the extent that we have the old site around and somebody could manually edit posts and fix them up, but it'd be somewhat prohibitive in terms of time effort. Maybe a summer intern :-)

Any look and feel concerns (i.e. default blue, 'not very spring-like' template) should be revisited in a month or two, once we've had a chance to get somebody to do some template work. The performance and management issues made waiting for the final look and feel not a very attractive choice.

So I don't regret making this move at this time at all...

Regards,
                  Last edited by Colin Sampaleanu; Oct 30th, 2005, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davison
                    .. or a way to set your locale?? (they seem to have accounted for timezone and DST but I can't change the date format to something slightly less dopey than mm-dd-yy. GRRRR)

I can set a specific date format (and even a locale) for the entire board, but I don't think it can be set on a user by user basis.

Possibly what would be appropriate is to set it to yyyy-mm-dd. That leaves no ambiguity, and is easy to read, if not the native format for either the US, Canada, or Europe...

Regards,

Comment

Hi Colin,

I should have quoted to make it clear, but I was replying to the post directly above mine which seemed to suggest a possible schema issue as a performance problem in phpBB. Certainly wasn't suggesting we didn't *have* any performance issues.

For all we know, the Gentoo site sits on a large farm of quad-opteron's or something

D.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sampaleanu
                        Possibly what would be appropriate is to set it to yyyy-mm-dd.
                        I think that would be a good choice.

Just my 2 cents,
                        Andreas

Comment

That said, I hope that we'll have news (NNTP) integration via a plugin in about 1-2 months. There is a plugin for vBulletin 3 that people use for this purpose. We're running vBulletin 3.5, which is the current version as of about a month ago, and the plugin is in alpha version for that, but the author has announced that now that vB 3.5 is out in final form he'll be taking the plugin to gold level.
                          Nice! I'll look forward to having such a feature inside the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas Senft
                            I think that would be a good choice.

Just my 2 cents,
                            Andreas
                            +1

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sampaleanu
                              Maybe a summer intern :-)
                              Hi Colin, your location appears to be on the Northern hemisphere, which means your next summer is about 8 months away (just as mine). Could you please make it a winter intern instead?

Joking aside: Those links are important. Many questions put in this forum concern similar basic gaps in users' knowledge, or misunderstandings. The rule for anyone having a question is therefore to do a thorough search of possible answers before putting the question for the 14th time. This saves both time for people having lots of questions (like myself) and those having the experience to answer them (like yourself).

Those missing links cut users off from possible answers to their questions. As a result, questions the answers of which are already present might be posed again.

By the way, links into the forum from the outside are also broken, of course. That's a problem because Google allows search expressions that this forum software doesn't. The other day, when inquiring about one of those lengthy Exception names, the forum software complained that the search term was too long to be searched for. Now, I can't shorten the name of that Exception single-handedly, can I? (I'd like to shorten it to length = 0, but...) Therefore, when getting an error code or message, there is a point for searching via Google vs. this forum's search function.

The last point might be healed if Google could be talked into revisiting the entire forum, thereby replacing its old links by the current ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Matzner
                                ... Therefore, when getting an error code or message, there is a point for searching via Google vs. this forum's search function.

The last point might be healed if Google could be talked into revisiting the entire forum, thereby replacing its old links by the current ones.
                                Google _will_ end up re-indexing the same content in the new format. It will just take time, probably the better part of a month or two...

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                                X