X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are they supposed to comment on openness or not? I'm confused!

Originally posted by papphammar View Post
    Yes, it sounds good. If it wasn't for the fact that the nature of the deal casts doubt over openness and community support, there would be no need for Spring officials to emphasize this point over and over again. They obviously recognize that our concerns are well-founded and go out of their way to put them to rest.

We shall see. Meanwhile we'll be looking for alternatives.
    You know, there is no good way out of this. Either they make the statement that they are committed to openness in the framework and everyone says they are just paying lip service. Or...they don't make the statement and everyone says they are avoiding saying the opposite.

Damned if you do....damned if you don't. Need some insurance? Get yourself a checkout of the code base and lock it up in a vault! Grab it quarterly, and if things suddenly disappear, the ASL license in the code base will see you through a fork job.

BTW, isn't this the same stuff I heard when VC funding arose? Hmm...and they just released Spring Framework 3.0 M4, Grails 1.2 M2, Spring Roo, (and Spring Python 1.1 M1 is coming soon!) ALL free.

Comment

Originally posted by gregturn View Post
      Grab it quarterly, and if things suddenly disappear, the ASL license in the code base will see you through a fork job.
      Disappearing? Not what we're concerned about. Do you keep using it even though you think you'd might be stuck with a fork job? Wow.

Originally posted by gregturn View Post
      BTW, isn't this the same stuff I heard when VC funding arose?
      Not from us - we thought VC funding was a really positive thing and would have loved to see SS as a successful independent (at least platform independent) player. We just don't like SS being part of one out of a range of deployment platforms for reasons already explained.

Comment

May be vmware is waiting to be acquired by another company....Oracle can buy it

Comment

Just hope redhat does not get any funny ideas...

Comment

Originally posted by garpinc2 View Post
            You mean like Weld/CDI?

I was looking for an old thread that might help explain the strategic sense of VMWare/Spring... we have an enterprise that is mirroring the same situation, we have technical architects in the data center with a vision of everything on a VM, we have Java/database application programmers who will no longer go near a VM with their java-based database application stuff(java portals and confluence wikis etc), and we have a newly committed Java-based enterprise strategic direction (e.g. less PHP, dotnet and alternatives).

The goals would seem to be contradictory, or rather require a resolution. Was trying to see if VMWare had an answer to the tricky task of running Java/DB stuff on a VM and having it perform reliably and cost effectively(that is there is inhouse admin who can help and VM maintenance and configuration wouldn't demand too much of their time which they have none to keep up with VM building, configuration and testing). Is it the centralized pre-integrated moloch or cloud that we pay VMWare for? If the tricky part is that you inhouse can't hope to support Java/DB on a VM?

Regards,
            -R

Comment

RE: Strategic sense for VMware/SpringSource

I would strongly recommend reading the blog post from Steve Herrod, VMware's CTO where he talks about the deal. This covers a lot of the technical vision and value proposition that has been the technical focus for SpringSource since the deal closed.

Regarding the case specifics that you are discussing about Java and DB performance on a VM, I know that VMware has a Java performance expert focused on that directly. Send me a private message in the forum and I can put you in touch with him.

Adam FitzGerald
              SpringSouce

Comment

Working...
              X