X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Framework 2.5 Released

(2007/11/19) - We're pleased to announce that Spring Framework 2.5 has been released. Here is Juergen's original announcement:

--

Dear Spring Community,

We are pleased to announce that the Spring Framework 2.5 final release is now available.

Spring 2.5 enhances Spring 2.0 with many exciting new features, including:
    • Full Java 6 and Java EE 5 support (JDBC 4.0, JTA 1.1, JavaMail 1.4, JAX-WS 2.0)
    • Full-featured annotation-driven dependency injection, including support for 'qualifiers'
    • Support for auto-detecting application components in the classpath and auto-configuring them as Spring managed objects
    • A new bean name pointcut element in AspectJ pointcut expressions
    • Built-in support for AspectJ load-time weaving based on the LoadTimeWeaver abstraction
    • New XML configuration namespaces "context" and "jms", for maximum convenience
    • A completely revised integration test framework, with first-class support for JUnit 4 and TestNG
    • A new annotation-based controller model for Spring MVC supporting Servlet and Portlet environments
    • Extended SimpleJdbcTemplate functionality, including support for named SQL parameters
    • Officially certified WebSphere support
    • The packaging of Spring Framework jars as OSGi-compliant bundles out of the box
    • The ability to deploy a Spring ApplicationContext as a JCA RAR file, for headless application modules
    • JCA 1.5 message endpoint management, for Spring-managed JMS and CCI message listeners
    Check out the series What's New in Spring 2.5? for a walkthrough of the new Spring 2.5 features, including information on how to deploy the Spring sample applications that demonstrate them.

We recommend upgrading to Spring 2.5 from all previous Spring 2.0.x versions in order to benefit from the new features as well as the significant performance enhancements that Spring 2.5 has to offer. Spring 2.5 is designed as a drop-in replacement for Spring 2.0, except for the slightly restructured jar file contents (please see the readme file in the distribution for more information on this).

Please note that Spring 2.5 is still compatible with JDK 1.4.2+ and J2EE 1.3+. Java 1.4 users, for example on WebLogic 8.1 or WebSphere 5.1/6.0, are very welcome to upgrade to Spring 2.5 as well. We recommend putting the backport-util-concurrent jar on the classpath when running on Java 1.4, which allows Spring and your applications to benefit from significant concurrency enhancements.

Enjoy Spring 2.5,

Juergen Hoeller
    Lead, Spring Framework Development
    Last edited by Colin Sampaleanu; Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:46 AM.

Error in the maven repositories

Hi there!

Congratulations for this release!

However I have a little problem: I'm a Maven user, so to take advantage of this new release I have updated my dependencies in my POM file. It turns out that the spring-aop artifact has accidentally been put at /org/springframework/spring/2.5/ (cf. http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/sp...rk/spring/2.5/ for instance).

Consequently:
    - the spring-aop artifact is misplaced
    - the spring artifact (the one I was looking for) is absent

Could you fix this problem?

Thanks!

Comment

Fixed

Originally posted by Tama-Chan View Post
      Could you fix this problem?
      I've fixed the release. The fix may take up to 6 hours to propagate.

Comment

Phew! Thanks Ben. I was worried this was part of the osgi bundle changes and I was going to have to add in each one individually.

Comment

For the records: These issues are also known as

http://opensource.atlassian.com/proj...rowse/SPR-4130
          http://opensource.atlassian.com/proj...rowse/SPR-4131

Comment

Originally posted by pledge View Post
            ... and I was going to have to add in each one individually.
            In general, this is what we recommend to our users. By using the smaller jars you get much finer grained control about what's going on your classpath. With 2.5 we've vastly reduced the number of jars that you need to choose from as well. And since you're using Maven, a lot of the heavy lifting such as determining which dependencies are needed has been taken care of for you. If you simply depend on spring.jar, all of the dependencies are optional and you actually have to do a bit more work.

Comment

Of course that is a good point. However when you are using the majority of Spring, along with using newer/differing versions of dependencies then your POM can grow rapdily. I'm just trying to justify my laziness

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Hale View Post
                It's greate but the maven's repo still can't work well. The .jar file is missing?

Comment

JAR is missing from Maven2 repository

Yeah, I'm having the same issue. Everything in http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/sp...rk/spring/2.5/ is there except the actual JAR file itself. This is messing up my builds

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Hale View Post
                    There's still a problem on http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/sp...rk/spring/2.5/ - the sources jar is still the Spring-AOP source!
                    I wouldn't have bothered msging about this, but the other jar is now fixed so it appears to have 'propagated'. Please let us know if the sources jar is also on it's way.

FYI I also got hash failures on the downloads.

Comment

A bunch of jars still missing

I still don't see many jars of 2.5 not there in maven2 repo
                      - spring-supports-2.5.jar (is it changed to spring-context-supports-2.5.jar)
                      - spring-context-supports-2.5.jar (Invalid SHA-1)
                      - spring-remote-2.5.jar
                      - spring-jmx-2.5.jar
                      - spring-mock-2.5.jar
                      - spring-jpa-2.5.jar
                      - spring-jdo-2.5.jar
                      - spring-jca-2.5.jar
                      - spring-ibatis-2.5.jar
                      - spring-hibernateXXX-2.5.jar
                      - spring-dao-2.5.jar

Can you check please?

Comment

Originally posted by testn View Post
                        I still don't see many jars of 2.5 not there in maven2 repo
                        - spring-supports-2.5.jar (is it changed to spring-context-supports-2.5.jar)
                        - spring-context-supports-2.5.jar (Invalid SHA-1)
                        - spring-remote-2.5.jar
                        - spring-jmx-2.5.jar
                        - spring-mock-2.5.jar
                        - spring-jpa-2.5.jar
                        - spring-jdo-2.5.jar
                        - spring-jca-2.5.jar
                        - spring-ibatis-2.5.jar
                        - spring-hibernateXXX-2.5.jar
                        - spring-dao-2.5.jar

Can you check please?
                        There should be some sort of maven2 migration guide when going from spring 2.0.x to 2.5. However, this is the synopsis of what I committed to my own project and it should get you started (you might want to look at the changelog to see if anything else needs changing):

version bump for spring to 2.5
                        * spring-jmx and spring-remoting rolled into spring-context
                        * spring-dao renamed to spring-tx
                        * spring-support renamed to spring-context-support
                        * spring-jpa and other ORM-related artifacts rolled into spring-orm
                        * spring-mock renamed to spring-test

And jca is now included in spring-tx

Does that answer most of your questions?

Comment

I'm having this issue with pretty much every spring module up in ibiblio: both md5 and sha1 sums don't match the corresponding pom file.

Comment

I also downloaded spring-2.5.jar from http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/sp...rk/spring/2.5/, but the downloaded file and MD5 (spring-2.5.jar.md5) & SHA1 (spring-2.5.jar.sha1) signatures do not match.
                            Please resolve this issue.

Thank You.

Comment

If you want an issue resolved, please post/create a JIRA issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X