X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Web Services 1.0.0 Released!

After two years of development, I am delighted to announce that Spring Web Services 1.0.0 is now officially released!

Spring Web Services is a product of the Spring community focussed on creating document-driven, contract-first Web Services. The key features of Spring Web Services include:
    • Makes the Best Practice an Easy Practice: Spring Web Services makes enforcing best practices easier. This includes practices such as the WS-I basic profile, Contract-First development, and having a loose coupling between contract and implementation.
    • Powerful mappings: You can distribute incoming XML request to any object, depending on message payload, SOAP Action header, or an XPath expression.
    • XML API support: Incoming XML messages can be handled in standard JAXP APIs such as DOM, SAX, and StAX, but also JDOM, dom4j, XOM, or even marshalling technologies.
    • Flexible XML Marshalling: The Object/XML Mapping module in the Spring Web Services distribution supports JAXB 1 and 2, Castor, XMLBeans, JiBX, and XStream. And because it is a separate module, you can use it in non-Web services code as well!
    • Reuses your Spring expertise: Spring-WS uses Spring application contexts for all configuration, which should help Spring developers get up-to-speed nice and quickly. Also, the architecture of Spring-WS resembles that of Spring-MVC.
    • Supports WS-Security: WS-Security allows you to sign SOAP messages, encrypt and decrypt them, or authenticate against them. And it integrates with Spring Security!

See http://opensource.atlassian.com/proj...&Create=Create for a list of fixes since 1.0-RC2.

For more information, see http://www.springframework.org/spring-ws.

Finally, a big word of thanks to all involved. It would not have been possible without you!

Cheers,
    Last edited by Arjen Poutsma; Aug 17th, 2007, 04:58 PM.

Congratulations, Arjen! SWS is truly a pleasure to work with.

BTW, the link to the release notes on http://www.springframework.org/node/507 is broken, it contains a couple of extra spaces.

Cheers,
    -Ralph.

Comment

Congratulations

would be possible see the option to download the documentation in pdf ???

thanks

Comment

repo1.maven.org

Will it be available at http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/sp.../ws/spring-ws/ ?

Comment

2nd Ed. "Spring In Action" has 40 page chapter on WS

2nd Ed. of "Spring In Action" by Craig Walls (covers Spring 2.0) became available at amazon.com on August 15. I have read chapter 9, "Building contract-first web services in Spring" and recommend it as a documentation resource for Spring WS.

As an aside, I know Spring WS is a major work and done impeccably. It is not the WS teams' fault, but the fact remains that XSD is hard to learn-- and Spring WS requires the developer know XSD well enough to hand-tune XSD generated by an XSD inference tool such as Trang (recommended on page 350 of "Spring in Action").

(I have an IBM certification in XML. It took 4 months of study, and I've forgotten almost everything I learned for the exam about XSD ... sigh).

The same general comment could be made for the Spring-OXM (object-XML mapping) subproject of Spring-WS providing an abstraction layer used with AbstractMarshallingPayloadEndpoint.

In my opinion, something needs to be done in a future release of Spring WS to make it easier for developers to use in real world projects-- projects with tight deadlines and managers who judge performance by the hours needed to finish the job, not the elegance of a "contract first" versus a "contract last" approach.

(As a constructive counter example, I downloaded MyEclipse 6.0 and 30 minutes later had created a complete, ready to use "contract last" Web Service client using XFire. (XFile is covered in Craig Walls book in section 8.5). To develop that same WS client using Spring WS (for the first time, anyway) could end up taking literally days.

I know the Spring WS team can rise to the challenge and simplify things in a future release. Meanwhile, congratulations on a huge, promising start.
          Last edited by RobertGloverJr; Sep 5th, 2007, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X