Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Invitation: Participate in the Spring Framework 2.0.5 quality assurance process! Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invitation: Participate in the Spring Framework 2.0.5 quality assurance process!

Dear Spring users,

We are preparing for the Spring Framework 2.0.5 release, scheduled for May 1st. The current 2.0.5 snapshots (build 56 and later, available from http://www.springframework.org/snapshots) serve as release candidates, with two weeks of testing planned before the final 2.0.5 release.

So if you have the chance, please give a recent 2.0.5 snapshot a try in your applications - and let us know whether you've found any issues, major or minor. We also appreciate further feedback on the 2.0.4 release, to be able to address any remaining issues in the 2.0.5 release. We are particularly interested in potential regressions and general compatibility issues, so please try as hard as you can to break an existing Spring application :-)

Please report any issues in our JIRA, after checking that the problem hasn't been reported there already. We'll make sure that we'll address the reports ASAP, giving you a chance to test the fixes in one of the following 2.0.5 snapshots, still in advance of the final 2.0.5 release.

Thanks in advance for your participation in this quality assurance effort! With your help, we'll be able to make 2.0.5 the best possible release.

Juergen

Originally posted by Juergen Hoeller View Post
    Thanks in advance for your participation in this quality assurance effort! With your help, we'll be able to make 2.0.5 the best possible release.
    Any particular reasons this comes up now? Too many bugs/ regressions lately?

Regards
    Jörg

Comment

Originally posted by Jörg Heinicke View Post
      Any particular reasons this comes up now? Too many bugs/ regressions lately?
      I don't know about that . We've been testing the milestones builds and release candidates for a good couple of years now.

Comment

The reason is mainly that 2.0.5 is supposed to be the "end of the line" for 2.0.x, at least for some months to come, with the development efforts focusing on Spring 2.1 from then onwards. This is quite a challenge for such a large codebase, and requires sanity testing from as many sides as possible.

We did have a few regressions in the details in previous 2.0.x releases, so this is certainly intended to find any such remaining issues in the current codebase. In particular, we want to encourage people to do *pre-release* testing this time, rather than wait for 2.0.5 and then report the day right after the official release. We intend to speed up the process.

FWIW, I have previously sent such encouragements for pre-release testing as well, but just on the mailing lists. This time, Keith hinted at the forums being the better place for this :-)

Juergen

Comment

FYI, the 2.0.5 release is just around the corner now. The latest 2.0.5 snapshots, available from http://static.springframework.org/do...-framework.php, are already as good as it gets :-)

So let me repeat my invitation: If you have the chance, please test those latest 2.0.5 snapshots, and report any problems that you might find.

Thanks for your support,

Juergen

Comment

Originally posted by Juergen Hoeller View Post
            FYI, the 2.0.5 release is just around the corner now. The latest 2.0.5 snapshots, available from http://static.springframework.org/do...-framework.php, are already as good as it gets :-)

So let me repeat my invitation: If you have the chance, please test those latest 2.0.5 snapshots, and report any problems that you might find.

Thanks for your support,

Juergen

Is a m2 repo available? Then I'd be happy to give 2.0.5-RCs a go.

Comment

No M2 repo... yet

Originally posted by davidkarlsen View Post
              Is a m2 repo available? Then I'd be happy to give 2.0.5-RCs a go.
              We don't have an official snapshot repo yet. The snapshots (which incidentally have changed location to http://static.springframework.org/do...hp?project=SPR) have the POMs inside them and they are up to date so far, so you can manually install them if you'd like.

That being said, for the 2.1 timeframe we're evaluating some improvements to the maven support. At the very least, we'll have source and javadoc jars for each of our artifacts and I think we may also have a SNAPSHOT repo available as well. No promises, but it is something I've been working on.

Comment

Working...
              X