X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central polls page

UPDATE: polls have been moved to www.springframework.org. We will continue to improve these kinds of features to allow you to continue telling us what you'd like to see in Spring. Because we wanted even more feedback, also from people not registered to the forum, we decided to move the polls to www.springframework.org. For now, this means no background info for new polls anymore (we haven't yet discovered a way to add links to poll answers or something like that), but this will be improved later on.

To get a feel for what parts of the Spring Framework you're using, from now on, we will be hosting a series of polls on the forum. Each poll will not only ask you a very simple (multiple choice) question, but also give you some insight into the techniques the poll is about. If you have a good idea for a poll, just send me a private message. Discussions about the poll itself can be done in the comments of course.

Last but not least, we very much value your feedback and will be using all of it throughout the further development of the Spring Framework. So we appreciate it a lot if you could take the time to fill out polls!

How do you ensure required dependencies are set (March 10, 2007)
    How do you limit transaction boundaries (April 9, 2007)
    Which transaction manager are you using (April 25, 2007)
    Last edited by Alef Arendsen; Jun 8th, 2007, 10:21 AM. Reason: Added transaction manager poll

I just wanted to say I really think this is a great idea! I'm really interested what polls you've got lined up and what people have to say.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Karl, that's good to hear.

If you have any suggestions for polls that might cause a little discussion, they're always welcome .

rgds,
      Alef

Comment

Originally posted by Alef Arendsen View Post
        If you have any suggestions for polls that might cause a little discussion, they're always welcome .
        There's always the subject of setter vs. constructor injection...

Comment

Poll topic suggestions

Hi Alef,

I think the polls are a great idea!

Originally posted by Alef Arendsen View Post
          Here's a first shot at a list of general (perhaps not so provocative) topics that could be used for polls:
          1. preferred web framework: Spring MVC, Struts, JSF, Portlets, etc.
          2. preferred persistence strategy: JDBC (w/ or w/o templates), Hibernate, iBatis, JPA, etc.
          3. transaction demarcation: annotation based vs. xml/external config
          4. validation: custom Validators, Commons Validator, Bean Validation (Spring Modules), Valang, Hibernate Validator, etc.
          5. Deployment environment: Tomcat stand-alone, Resin, JBoss, BEA, WebSphere, etc.
          6. Ajax integration: custom/in-house code, YUI, Dojo, DWR, Backbase, JSON-RPC, etc.

Like I mentioned, these might not necessarily lead to great, in-depth discussions; however, I'd be very interested to see what members of the Spring community are using the most in these categories.

cheers,

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by sbrannen View Post
            1. preferred web framework: Spring MVC, Struts, JSF, Portlets, etc.
            2. preferred persistence strategy: JDBC (w/ or w/o templates), Hibernate, iBatis, JPA, etc.
            3. transaction demarcation: annotation based vs. xml/external config
            4. validation: custom Validators, Commons Validator, Bean Validation (Spring Modules), Valang, Hibernate Validator, etc.
            5. Deployment environment: Tomcat stand-alone, Resin, JBoss, BEA, WebSphere, etc.
            6. Ajax integration: custom/in-house code, YUI, Dojo, DWR, Backbase, JSON-RPC, etc.
            Most of them are about tools or frameworks which is in general quite uninteresting IMO. I'm much more interested in concepts like the current one. Especially I would be interested how people handle Hibernate sessions

Regards
            Jörg

Comment

I've always got suggestions . Out of interest was there a plan here e.g. are you working through the reference manual or is it just random things?

Comment

I'd like to see a poll on "Which part of Spring do you dislike more?". It would be very useful to improve all framework.

My two cents in a very bad English....
                Last edited by bitstorm; Mar 20th, 2007, 11:40 AM.

Comment

hi guys

it can sound silly, but...

what about of best practices with spring?
                  example codes, templates , suggestion etc etc
                  integration with other frameworks

what tools are recommend (xdoclet,myeclipse,appfuse.. etc etc)

ask for some people (voluntaries), share basic examples, maybe traduction for other languages etc etc

or a simple question , why work you with Spring?
                  when work you with Spring/J2EE both or alone .... ?

regards

Comment

Here's an example of a poll I'd like to see in future:
                    Q:"Which is the biggest problem you have to deal with when you use Spring?"
                    1. Manage the complexity of XML-based configuration files
                    2. Performance issues...
                    3. Create data access layer
                    4. Lack of code generation tools for Spring
                    5. I haven't any problem at all....
                    6. (...)
                    regards
                    Last edited by bitstorm; Mar 20th, 2007, 12:05 PM.

Comment

hello members

i think that this is very important
                      to avoid to new rookies for Spring waste money in some books

what book you suggest to buy and why?
                      and
                      what book you should avoid to buy and why??

similars to Hibernate and other topics

regards

Comment

That would be a good one, I guess the only problem is getting the options right e.g. how many Spring books are there.

Which of the Spring references would you recommend?
                        #1. Spring in Action
                        #2. Pro String
                        #3. Name a few more Spring books
                        #8. Spring Reference manual

Comment

Hi Members,

let the polls begin......

you can keep changing the next questions as per the previous question answer.

Comment

While Karl already asked "What's next?" I want to suggest another poll:

I haven't had a look on Spring 2.1 but I don't think it will be "revolutionary". It's too near anyway for my poll. Question is: What do you want to have changed in the next major version of Spring? Something like a hate list You could of course also ask for what we do like most on Spring, but that's boring and does not bring that much progress to Spring But maybe the answers could be too scattered and we should just start a simple thread about it.

Jörg

Comment

Originally posted by Jörg Heinicke View Post
                              While Karl already asked "What's next?" I want to suggest another poll:

I haven't had a look on Spring 2.1 but I don't think it will be "revolutionary". It's too near anyway for my poll. Question is: What do you want to have changed in the next major version of Spring? Something like a hate list You could of course also ask for what we do like most on Spring, but that's boring and does not bring that much progress to Spring But maybe the answers could be too scattered and we should just start a simple thread about it.

Jörg
                              Hi Jorg,

it's good idea to start investigating what the community wants in terms of new features in the next major version. The first thing I wanted to do was get an anonymous poll in place on the front page instead of this forum-members-only poll. I'd like to wait with publishing polls with a wishlist until then.

Comment

Working...
                              X