X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcing the Equinox Project (equinox.jini.org)

Equinox (equinox.jini.org) is a new project to develop a Jini-based container for the Spring framework. The Spring framework, originally targeted at JEE applications, can dramatically simplify code and improve component design by "keeping the container out of the code". Applications that use Spring can eliminate explicit dependencies on the JEE container and typical JEE boilerplate code, introducing a new dimension of portability. The Equinox container will host new and existing Spring-based applications in a dynamic Jini environment. The container implementation will transparently leverage Jini's service discovery, transaction management and fault tolerance, and will facilitate the application's use of characteristic features like JavaSpaces. Source and binaries can be downloaded from equinox.jini.org, and feedback is welcome.

bad name choice?

No offense intended -- equinox is a cool name -- but it is also the name of the OSGi implementation at eclipse.org

Now you have two projects with the same name both essentially for the purpose of developing and executing software components...

Comment

Originally posted by cfieber
      No offense intended -- equinox is a cool name -- but it is also the name of the OSGi implementation at eclipse.org

Now you have two projects with the same name both essentially for the purpose of developing and executing software components...
      y; I've heard the same from some others familiar with both projects. "Equinox" was chose because the vernal equinox denotes the start of Spring. This was an appropriate name for the project since it introduces the Spring Framework to the Jini world. Thanks for the feedback.

-Tom

Comment

"Equinox" is also the name of matt raible starter application, from "spring live" book.
        http://raibledesigns.com/page/rd?ent...x_1_5_released

This makes 2 spring related projects + Eclipse project that have to share the "equinox" name !

Comment

Confusion...

In my opinion, this will just further confuse people.

I clicked on this thread because I thought it had to do with Matt Raible's project.

Comment

I second that. I also clicked the link because I thought it was Matt Raible's project.

Comment

equinox download

Hi,

I went to the equinox web-site http://equinox.jini.org/ and though I searched I didn't find the link to download equinox. I also searched for java spaces downloads and didn't find that either???

What am I missing?

Thanks,

John Brinnand

Comment

You need a user on jini.org. Make one, login and then you'll see the links on left. Even though dev.java.net seems to be built on the same infrastructure, jini.org behaves different.

Comment

thanks

It worked - thanks. A JINI based container for the Spring seems like a great idea.

Best,

John

Comment

Working...
                  X