Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Corporate Customers

Hi,

I'll probably get nailed for posting this here, but here goes ...

Does anyone have any information siting press releases for Spring deployments at large corporations? My boss is pushing me on whether or not Spring is pervasive or a passing fad. He's OK with JBoss and Hibernate, but doesn't feel Spring is as pervasive. I beg to differ. Large customer deployments will help my case.

I searched the forums and googled on it, but couldn't find much other than a BEA press release stating they support it. My understanding is that it is being used in large financial firms in both the US (JP Morgan) and the UK. Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I guess you didn't go to the Spring Experience earlier this month

Accenture consultant Thomas Van de Velde talked about large government projects in Belgium and France that he worked on. Also Symantec and EBay presented case studies.

Take a look at SpringHub.com for some references - http://www.springhub.com/component/o...,36/Itemid,56/

I can also tell you that we recently had 60 developers attend the first Spring Users Group meeting in the Philadelphia area. There is no question in my mind that Spring usage is currently growing exponentialy.

Comment

I can tell you that a global operating parcel distribution company is using Spring in a production environment.

Comment

I know at least one of the biggest banks is using spring and multiple government institutions are as well. And I know of some other projects as well. Problem is that I cannot give you names

Comment

One bank in Toronto is introducing Spring in a large project now.
          They will be using 2.0 + AspectJ 5.

The app server is Weblogic.
          Dan

Comment

Originally posted by sfinck
            Hi,

I'll probably get nailed for posting this here, but here goes ...

Does anyone have any information siting press releases for Spring deployments at large corporations? My boss is pushing me on whether or not Spring is pervasive or a passing fad. He's OK with JBoss and Hibernate, but doesn't feel Spring is as pervasive. I beg to differ. Large customer deployments will help my case.

I searched the forums and googled on it, but couldn't find much other than a BEA press release stating they support it. My understanding is that it is being used in large financial firms in both the US (JP Morgan) and the UK. Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
            How about mentioning that Oracle themselves provide the Toplink support in Spring. I used both that and the Bea support to sell Spring's use in our framework to one of our customers.

You can also mention that you are not really tied to Spring. If you wanted, for example, call a series of "new Object()" and the setters yourself.

Comment

My ex-employer(a military agency) was using Spring. Currently I'm working for a large global bank that's using it too. Too bad I signed a clause that say I can't use the company's name for advertisement, to push a personal agenda etc. So I can't mention my employer

Comment

How about mentioning that Oracle themselves provide the Toplink support in Spring. I used both that and the Bea support to sell Spring's use in our framework to one of our customers.
                Indeed, for Oracle to donate time and effort to an open source project is unusual. (It may become more common, but that was a pioneering effort.) The fact that they felt that it was worth clearing this with their lawyers (and a very senior level of management) indicates the fact that they expect Spring to stick around.

Likewise with BEA. Regardless of whether your company is a BEA customer it is interesting to look at some of the public statements BEA have made about why they choose to support Spring ("de facto standard," to quote Mark Carges, their CTO, in an interview at JavaOne 2005). I believe they surveyed many of their customers prior to deciding to offer Spring support, and found a large proportion were using Spring already or intending to use Spring. BEA have also announced that a new product (WebLogic Real Time Server) which they are aiming at the kind of top-end financial applications that are currently still in C++, will use Spring as the programming model. So BEA's interest in Spring is strategic, not a short-term thing--and they are a multi billion dollar company.

Comment

I did a project for a major all-included travel company which launched the last version of its public north american website in december and I used Spring to build it.

Comment

Spring is mature.

My project is very big in the US govt. sector, we are using Spring/Hibernate.

Weblogic 9.0 is adding additional support for Spring

Comment

You might also find this post by Bill Roth (a BEA VP) interesting:

Spring is coming to the now-verdant hills of San Jose. Not only has the season come to the Diablo range of mountains that borders our fair city, but the framework popularized by Interface21 and Rod Johnson is showing up in a big way as well. Spring is being broadly used in WebLogic customer sites. As I travel around to customer sites, it seemingly comes up everywhere. I have seen it in large government agencies, financial companies, and internet companies. I have seen it used by small consultancies and the large systems integrators.
                      Source: http://dev2dev.bea.com/blog/wgroth2/..._is_busti.html

Comment

Some other interesting facts:

- The French online tax submission system, delivered by Accenture, is based on Spring. It provides excellent quality of service to serve 34 million tax payers, and was built very quickly due to the productivity benefits brought by Spring. Thomas Van de Velde, the Accenture architect who led this project, has publically presented on this and will be doing so again in June at SpringOne.

- The European Patent Office uses Spring and Spring Web Flow in mission-critical applications providing public access to intellectual property management across 25 countries.

- 5 out of the world's top 10 banks (as reported by The Economist) are clients of Interface21, and making strategic investments in Spring adoption. Numerous products across these companies have been rolled out into production, with excellent results. At least another one of the top 10 banks makes significant use of Spring.
                        Last edited by Rod Johnson; Apr 20th, 2006, 04:45 AM.

Comment

We're using Spring here at Anheuser-Busch in St. Louis, MO. AB's a pretty big company, needless to say...

Comment

We normally are unable to cite our largest customers and Spring users publically. However, some of what JP Morgan are doing seems to be public:

http://www.watersonline.com/public/s...ml?page=322256

From a JPM architect:
                            Tyger now helps us influence which versions of tools are used by providing a pre-integrated stack. Maven, a popular open-source package, allows us to establish a central repository that all systems can automatically pull libraries from as they build. Tyger also leverages Tomcat and Apache, well-established open-source packages, as well as Spring, which is a lightweight container.
                            Tyger is intended as a standard for use across the bank.
                            Last edited by Rod Johnson; Apr 20th, 2006, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Obviously this isn't an official statement, but I we are using Spring through out in a re-implementation of Virgin Mobile UK's (5th biggest mobile phone provider in the UK) B2C website. (www.virginmobile.com). I know that the company that I previously worked for www.opodo.com (one of Europe's largest travel sites) has moved to Spring, and I only have to search for jobs to see how widely it's been used in a lot of big companies.

Comment

Working...
                              X