X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android + JSON + SPRING

I am about to start my university final year project.
    I am using the following technologies:

Client side : Android
    Server side : Spring
    Data interchange format : JSON/XML
    Persistence layer : IBatis

I want to know should I used Spring MVC for this architecture or spring provides something specific for android or mobile platform?
    Please help me in deciding the spring modules.

Re: Android + JSON + SPRING

"I want to know should I used Spring MVC for this architecture or spring provides something specific for android or mobile platform?"

You cannot use Spring MVC on the mobile side of the house (ie. Android). Spring does provide tools to connect your Android application to REST-based services on the server side (RestTemplate et al). In addition, the Spring Mobile distribution provides tools that you can include within Spring MVC on the server-side to detect that a mobile device is accessing your web-based application and allows you to redirect that user to a mobile-optimized website.

A number of SpringSource folks monitor this forum and maybe can share some of the directions that they see Spring Mobile going in the future.

Perry Hoekstra

Comment

You can use Spring RestTemplate as the REST client on Android, and Spring MVC as the server-side REST-framework. JSON is fully supported.

Spring Mobile is interesting if you need a mobile web application.

Keith

Comment

Hi,

I have written a blog about RestFul Client on Android using Spring at http://www.makeurownrules.com/rest-spring-maven-android. Its real time example and uses geonames.org restful service

Keith:
        I would like to contribute it to spring-android so can you include my blog on your site or guide me whom should I contact.

Cheers,
        Kapil

Comment

Thankyou very much to all of you for the response.
          Keith , I was looking for exactly such a response.
          MakeyourownRules , thanks for the blog. It will surely help me to start.

If someone knows any hello world example(resttemplate + json +spring mvc) online with Eclipse tool , please let me know ?
          Thankyou very much again for showing me the initial path.
          Last edited by shahzadsadiq; Jan 23rd, 2011, 12:18 PM.

Comment

@shahzadsadiq Please take a look at my blog post and sample code. It should have everything you are looking for.

http://blog.springsource.com/2010/12...-maven-part-1/

Comment

rclarkson: Thankyou very much for the link. I will look at it.

Comment

Working...
              X