Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yez indeed

Hey Arnoud,

I actually did exactly the same thing after your previous bug report
    I think I changed the most serious offenses, I've been refreshing the app for like 20 times and don't get any errors, but I didn't manage to reproduce the exception in the first place, so I'm definitely not sure whether its fixed or not...
    Please check update to the latest as3-commons and spring actionscript trunks and try again, I'm still rather busy with my current project, so still not a lot of time for investigating this, but i'd appreciate it if you can give it another go.

cheers,

Roland

Comment

no changes in trunk...

Hi Roland,

I did an svn update but i dont see changes in the trunk for the reflection api. Did you commit the changes?
      If I do de search of my previous post i still see the problematic calls ClassUtils.forName without an application domain as parameter.

ObjectDefinitionScanner --> in scanClass
      MXMLObjectDefinition --> in set className and resolveValue
      BaseObject --> in doEquals
      FieldRetrieivingFactoryObject --> in afterPropertiesSet
      AbstractObjectFactory --> in isFactoryObject
      InterfacePreprocessor --> lookupImplementingObjects
      ClassPropertyEditor --> set text
      ApplicationUtils --> get application
      Environment --> isFlex

Maybe they are not all problematic but i think these should be checked.

About those application domain comparisons. You suggested to use === instead of == to compare 2 applicationDomains. But that cannot help === is more strict. So if ApplicationDomain.currentDomain === ApplicationDomain.currentDomain gives true than ApplicationDomain.currentDomain == ApplicationDomain.currentDomain will definitely give true. I did a test to prove it. It's at the moment just not possible to compare 2 applicationdomains i'm afraid. Maybe it's a security thing don't know why they implemented it this way. I did file a bug in the Adobe flash player jira. I'll let you know if i get a response.

I'm finding more weird stuff about applicationDomains: If you load the same module twice they share the same applicationDomain. If you add a query string to the url propery of the moduleLoader so that the url is differen they have each their own application domain:

modulea.swf?bla has different application domain than modulea.swf, but if you load modulea.swf twice both without querystring they share the same applicationdomain. The Adobe documentation on ApplicationDomains sucks big time as these things are not documented anywhere....

One more question is it necessary that modules extend BasicSASModule?

I know you are really busy, so no hurries! I'm really happy that you are looking into these issues when you have time. I do think it's important cause it touched the core of the system.

cheers, and keep up the good work! I'll be doing some digging as well!

Arnoud

Comment

app domains, its a mystery

Hey Arnoud,

from what I understand now this: ApplicationDomain.currentDomain, always returns a new instance. How and why this is, I have no idea, but that's apparently default behavior.
        The list of classutil calls you give is correct, yet this code is not called upon in our module test app, so for now I left these alone. I also want to have a more consistent pattern to pass on the correct applicationDomain throughout the library, I'm debating this with the team, so in time all of these calls will be correct ones with an app domain an extra argument.
        Interesting finds by the way, apparently an applicationdomain is tied to the URL that the module was loaded with, I wonder what the reasoning behind this is.
        Yet, my other problem also remains, I've imported your test project in flash builder and have just been refreshing the app for at least 25 or 30 times and still I never encountered the run time exceptions that you describe.

And, and about BasicSASmodule, NO WAY, it is absolutely NOT necessary to extend this class, I've only included it as a convenience base class in the case where a module's application context needs to be automatically created with the main application context as its parent.
        This kind of automatic injection will probably not end up in the final library anyways, we are now contemplating a sort of module policy system where you as the developer can determine what an app context will do with a module that gets loaded, either it injects it, ignores it, or does something else. Like I say, we're still debating that one. If you have ideas on this subject feel free to share them with us, an extra brain in this discussion is always more than welcome.

So, that's it for now, I'm gonna try some more to reproduce that damned exception...

cheers,

Roland

Comment

ok nice!

Hi Roland,

Nice that you guys are on it! I think the way you described is the way to go. Let the parent application (the boss) determine how a module is loaded and if or not the main application context can be used by the module. I would suggest a custom module LoaderContext that extends the default LoaderContext with some extra properties like parentApplicationContext and maybe some other restrictions or features that i cannot come up with now.

For the test application that i build: I can't get the damn error either anymore. So save your valuable time on that one. I'll do some more investigation and if i get consistent errors instead of sometimes i'll let you know. It's strange that it wont show up again. But you saw the screendump of the error....

Anyway i still have some problems with a bigger application. I'll try to isolate the bug and try to reproduce it in the simpler test application.

thanx again and have a nice weekend!

Arnoud

NB I'm thinking about becoming a committer for the project (if that's possible) I don't have much time but now and then i could clean up some code, do a little code reviews and bug fixing. Is that possible? I like the framework philosophy and i'm getting into deeper and deeper anyway, so why not contribute a bit instead of just filing bugs/request? Don't mind doing some documentation stuff either... Let me know!

Comment

yes please, apply!

Hey Arnoud,

we thought about a custom loader context as well, but decided against it in the first place, we'd like to make use of the standard Flex patterns as much as possible. In the future such a loadercontext can still be added, but more in a conveniece type of situation, we wouldn't want to rely on it for functionality.
            I definitely believe that you received the error The screendump doesn't lie hehe (or maybe you photoshopped it, hmmmm). I did make some minor changes to the library in between, so I might have caught it accidentally, I really have no idea. If you manage to reliably reproduce it, I'd still be very interested.

As for becoming a committer, YES PLEASE We appreciate all the help we can get, in any manner or capacity. I started out writing all of the documentation, after that I had seen every nook and cranny of the library and was confident enough to start developing new functionality.
            So if you'd like to start out doing code reviews, writing unit tests, writing small sample applications, how-to articles, anything really, your help will be welcomed.
            If you decide to go for it then contact Christophe Herreman directly through the forum and offer him your services He will be able to send you the appropriate forms to sign and you'll receive commit access after that.
            We're an official Spring incubation so you'll have to sign the standard Spring opensource agreement, but you'll see what that entails, its nothing too special really, just a matter of signing some stuff.
            In my case it did take a very long time for the forms to be processed though, so I hope in your case it will be quicker.
            Anyways, I'd like to have you on board, so please consider joining

cheers,

Roland

Comment

Working...
            X