Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex modules and application context loading

Hi there!

Is it possible to achieve an application structure based on modules where each module would have its own application context? And do you think the class instantiation for the module would function normally?

The module would have dependencies on the loading application classes defined through interfaces so I was wondering if I could depend on autowiring to inject loading application object instances based on the bean name.

And I was wondering with which method can I add the module context to the IocFacade. It seems to me that it is not possible to add context files after once initializing the IocFacade.

One more thing that worries me is the fact that the module classes and the loading application classes are in child-parent application domains and if autowiring should fail due to this (i know there has been a recent bug fix on this issue, but I still have my doubts ).

Thanks, bye!

its in the works!

Hi there, excellent question!

Right now we're actually working on making your requested functionality an integral part of Spring Actionscript which will be included in the upcoming v0.9 release.
    If you check out the trunk in SVN the required functionality is already available. One thing you have to make sure of though when you're loading modules into your application and want them to live in their own ApplicationDomain is to create their ApplicationDomain with the main ApplicationDomain as its parent.

So, a rough example in actionscript would be this:
    Code:
    var moduleLoader:ModuleLoader = new ModuleLoader();
    moduleLoader.applicationDomain = new ApplicationDomain(ApplicationDomain.currentDomain);
    moduleLoader.loadModule("myModule.swf");
    That way the applicationContext of the main application will be able to autowire components inside your module, while the module can still be safely unloaded afterwards. (Since it has its own app domain).

Also available in the trunk is the possibility for an application context to have a parent context. So in a multi-module scenario you can give each module its own app context with the main application context set as its parent.
    This gives you the ability to either have the main application context create or autowire your objects, or the module application context itself. We also support overriding of object definitions. So if a module context has an object definition with the same name as an object definition in its parent context, the child context will override.

If you check out the sample app in the trunk called \spring-actionscript-core\samples\multiple-modules you can see a simple example of such a scenario. The main application has a context and two modules are loaded in separate domains and have autowiring definitions defined inside their own configuration but can also fall back on the parent context.

Right, I hope this all sort of makes sense, I'll be working on a documentation section about this, I hope I'll make it a bit more clear than the above story
    Anyways, just check out the sample app, I think the code and configuration speak for itself.

If you have any questions then of course we'll be glad to answer them.

P.S. since this is trunk code, please bear in mind its still rather beta. I'm using it in my current project, so I'm quite confident that it works pretty well, but should you run into any issues, please let me know a.s.a.p. so we can solve it before we have an official v0.9 release.

cheers,

Roland

Comment

Great!

I was hoping that this would somehow be available. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the time to add such features myself

I had much ideas that I implemented while working with Prana and PureMVC but I don't know if they would fit in the scope of Spring actionscript framework, so I throw them here, on the ideas heap :

1. Declarative security - to define in MXML something like

<sec:Visibility target="button" role="ADMIN" />
      <sec:Enabled target="button2" role="ADMIN" />

I think this is very much possible using StagePostProcessors (or whatever they are called )

2. PureMVC integration - screen startup and shutdown commands which instantiate and register all mediators, proxies, commands which are needed by the view currently being instantiated. This provides a more clear-cut lifecycle and prevents things like mediators still in memory responding to notifications, occupying memory space or returning to the same state once a new screen is needed.

3. Startup resource loading manager - all proxies that want to load something at startup implement an interface and get registered with this manager which can load in parallel or consecutive resources. Also has a splash screen and a progress bar.

4. Swf in need loading - Each swf module has an xml with a list of classes compiled. Once you try to instantiate a class that is located in another swf, that module gets loaded by the framework.

5. Much simpler localization - all I needed was one or more xml or property files and to specify them in the context. I don't want to recompile the application. I don't want to add compiler arguments. I don't want to do anything with the flex sdk. If you ask me, this infuriates me the most. So I simply made a static language helper class that loaded an xml, detected the number of languages declared and used binding to update onscreen values.

6. Application context - currently, there is no context and you cannot pass values through some static class.

7. Event listener registration and deregistation handled by the framework. Now, it's up to the programmer to be kind and clean up after themselves. But not all of us are so considerate

I don't think these ideas are supposed to be part of this thread, but maybe they provide inspiration to someone Probably this all would be better off as some spring actionscript extension.

Bye!

Comment

thanks!

Hi there, you make some very valid points, let me reply to them one-by one.

1. Declarative security
        This is indeed available right now through the security package in SpringAS. Right now there's no MXML equivalent though, the current implementation assumes that all security configuration is done outside of the application (XML, database, etc). An MXML extension for this is very much possible, instead of having a remotecall populate the security managers it could be done through MXML declaration. We are planning a major overhaul of the MXML support after the v0.9 release. I will make sure to add the security features on the TODO list as well.

2. PureMVC integration
        I'm not much of an expert on PureMVC, so its hard for me to comment on this one. The current PuremVC extensions do not support this yet? You can add a feature request in JIRA for this if you'd like:
        http://jira.springframework.org/secu...omponent=10649

3. Startup resource loading manager
        I know for a fact that someone has already been working on this and was planning on donating the code to our project. I'll ping the mailinglist and see what the status is.

4. Swf in need loading
        This is a very tricky issue, a class loading system such as Java has would not be possible to implement in Flash since there's no way to intercept the moment of class creation. Even if this were possible you'd still need a synchronous call to the server to retrieve the required SWF. This would effectively pause you're entire application at the moment that you try to instantiate a missing class. Not very desirable I should say. The only possibility we have is to statically determine at compile-time which classes are needed and use the resource loading mechanism to pre-load all required classes.
        This process could be fragmented slightly by loading parts of your application in modules, each module having potential resource dependencies which are loaded in the bootstrap cycle of the module. But other than that I'm afraid we don't have any possibilities.

5. Much simpler localization
        I think the localization package in SpringAS lays the groundwork for this already, it assigns the resource values at run-time by using an IStageProcessor implementation. You can check the sample application in SVN how it works. All you need to do is create your own system to load locale data in XML format and create the ResourceBundle at runtime. The runtime ResourceBundle creation is already explained in the sample app, its really very easy, so implementing an XML loader could be done in half an hour I think. Check it out I'd say.

6. Application context
        I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, but it is already possible to inject Application settings into your object definitions. Check out this part of the docs for more info:
        http://www.springactionscript.org/do...ation_settings
        Is that what you meant? If not, please elaborate.

7. Event listener registration and de-registration handled by the framework.
        This one has been in the works for a long time, and by 'in the works' I mean bouncing around as an idea. No concrete implementations yet. Its a very complicated issue actually, there's a lot of different ways to go about implementing this.
        In the Spring Actionscript spirit it is vital that we offer only the means to perform a certain task without forcing too much of a 'way of working' or a pre-defined structure on the end-user. So coming up with a generic way for this is hard. So eventually, and probably by version 1.0, we will support some kind of mediator pattern, but how, what and why is still very much up in the air

Anyways, thanks for your thoughts and don't hesitate to give us more

cheers,

Roland

Comment

This is indeed available right now through the security package in SpringAS. Right now there's no MXML equivalent though, the current implementation assumes that all security configuration is done outside of the application (XML, database, etc). An MXML extension for this is very much possible, instead of having a remotecall populate the security managers it could be done through MXML declaration. We are planning a major overhaul of the MXML support after the v0.9 release. I will make sure to add the security features on the TODO list as well.
          I was specifically talking about the MXML support. But the remote objects are not invoked through MXML. MXML just declares some security settings as component properties or children for a post processor to actually use this and set component visibility/editability. The post processor would then get user information from some manager, probably the Spring actionscript security model.

This is a very tricky issue, a class loading system such as Java has would not be possible to implement in Flash since there's no way to intercept the moment of class creation. Even if this were possible you'd still need a synchronous call to the server to retrieve the required SWF. This would effectively pause you're entire application at the moment that you try to instantiate a missing class. Not very desirable I should say. The only possibility we have is to statically determine at compile-time which classes are needed and use the resource loading mechanism to pre-load all required classes.
          This process could be fragmented slightly by loading parts of your application in modules, each module having potential resource dependencies which are loaded in the bootstrap cycle of the module. But other than that I'm afraid we don't have any possibilities.
          I envisioned this as some spring actionscript configuration property that would be detected by custom factory preprocessors, declare the bean lazy-init and set into motion some mechanism that would fire before the bean was truly instantiated by spring actionscript. But this was just an idea, never went into realization and I do not know what kind of problems are to encounter while developing this feature.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, but it is already possible to inject Application settings into your object definitions. Check out this part of the docs for more info:
          http://www.springactionscript.org/do...ation_settings
          Is that what you meant? If not, please elaborate.
          I know about what you are saying. I am talking about a context shared between objects instantiated by spring actionscript, somewhere you could store an object under a key for another object to fetch without having to send notifications or events. I used this for user information, user roles, language settings and configuration settings so every object could fetch them thorough the application.

Thanks for the reply, will check out the rest.

Bye!

Comment

modules / Application domains

Hi joining in :-)

question, i saw the modules example and it looks good. I'm really happy that the subapplication domain issue is being addressed. But if i do something similar with custom classes it again works only if the modules are loaded in the applications current domain.

so

moduleALoader.applicationDomain = new ApplicationDomain(ApplicationDomain.currentDomain) ;
            moduleBLoader.applicationDomain = ApplicationDomain.currentDomain;
            moduleALoader.url = "ModuleA.swf";
            moduleBLoader.url = "ModuleB.swf";

doesn't work if i add a custom class to the ModuleA context.

moduleALoader.applicationDomain = ApplicationDomain.currentDomain;
            moduleBLoader.applicationDomain = ApplicationDomain.currentDomain;
            moduleALoader.url = "ModuleA.swf";
            moduleBLoader.url = "ModuleB.swf";

does work.
            I'm using the trunk and the latest reflection lib from as3Commons

in the example in the trunk i see that a String is used in the module contexts. That is a native class so maybe not a really good example. Could someone confirm that it works with custom classes? I.e. i defined a custom class for moduleA which is compiled in (i reference it in the root) but i get the next runtime when i try to inject it via the context for moduleA:

Error: A class with the name 'nl.artim.projectx.module_a.viewmodel.HelloWorldMo delImpl' could not be found.
            Are you sure the specified class has been compiled?
            Look for more information on this topic here:
            http://www.springactionscript.org/do...inclusion.html
            at org.springextensions.actionscript.ioc.factory.supp ort:efaultListableObjectFactory/getObjectNamesForType()[/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/development/flex frameworks svn/spring-actionscript/trunk/spring-actionscript-core/src/main/actionscript/org/springextensions/actionscript/ioc/factory/support/DefaultListableObjectFactory.as:100]
            at org.springextensions.actionscript.context.support: :XMLApplicationContext/registerObjectPostProcessors()[/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/development/flex frameworks svn/spring-actionscript/trunk/spring-actionscript-core/src/main/actionscript/org/springextensions/actionscript/context/support/XMLApplicationContext.as:210]
            at org.springextensions.actionscript.context.support: :XMLApplicationContext/afterParse()[/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/development/flex frameworks svn/spring-actionscript/trunk/spring-actionscript-core/src/main/actionscript/org/springextensions/actionscript/context/support/XMLApplicationContext.as:172]
            at org.springextensions.actionscript.ioc.factory.xml: :XMLObjectFactory/_doParse()[/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/development/flex frameworks svn/spring-actionscript/trunk/spring-actionscript-core/src/main/actionscript/org/springextensions/actionscript/ioc/factory/xml/XMLObjectFactory.as:361]
            at org.springextensions.actionscript.ioc.factory.xml: :XMLObjectFactory/_loadNextProperties()[/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/development/flex frameworks svn/spring-actionscript/trunk/spring-actionscript-core/src/main/actionscript/org/springextensions/actionscript/ioc/factory/xml/XMLObjectFactory.as:332]
            at org.springextensions.actionscript.ioc.factory.xml: :XMLObjectFactory/_loadNextConfigLocation()[/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/development/flex frameworks svn/spring-actionscript/trunk/spring-actionscript-core/src/main/actionscript/org/springextensions/actionscript/ioc/factory/xml/XMLObjectFactory.as:308]
            at org.springextensions.actionscript.ioc.factory.xml: :XMLObjectFactory/_loaderComplete_handler()[/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/development/flex frameworks svn/spring-actionscript/trunk/spring-actionscript-core/src/main/actionscript/org/springextensions/actionscript/ioc/factory/xml/XMLObjectFactory.as:258]
            at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
            at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
            at flash.net::URLLoader/onComplete()

cheers,

Arnoud

Comment

application domain hell

Hey Arnoud,

thanks a lot for bringing this issue up. Honestly, I thought I had tackled the 'classes only compiled in module' problem because in the sample app the 'InjectedTextLabel.mxml' class is only declared inside the modules.
              It turned out that 'regular' classes included in the module still triggered the exception. (When retrieving class information in that scenario the current application domain wasn't taken into account).
              I think I've cleared matters up right now, at least my tests are working at the moment
              I have added a sample of a 'regular' class inclusion in the sample app.

Changes are available in the trunk, if you'd like to take this for another test drive than I'd be most obliged.

Cheers!

Roland

Comment

i'll give it a go

Hi Roland,

you are a machine! damn that was fast. I'll give it another try. I'm also curious how the reverse will go.

For example a class defined in the application domain but also used in the container of a module that is loaded in a child domain.

I'll let you know about my findings. First have to get the damn project to compile again. I screwd some things seriously up

thanx!

Comment

still testing

Hey Arnoud,

me and Christophe have been toying around with this concept a lot today and bumped into quite a few issues along the way.
                  I believe we've tackled the main ones, but it'll be much appreciated to see others test it out, so your results will be welcomed. Be sure to grab the very latest trunk source though, we've had quite a few updates today.
                  Your example of a class defined in the main application domain yet instantiated by a container in a child domain ought to work, just as long as the module receives an application domain that has the main domain set as its parent.
                  That way first the child domain will be searched for a class definition and if not found the parent domain will be used.
                  This same principle is also valid for how the container hierarchy works. If a container is created, and has a parent container assigned, it will first try to create a requested object itself, and if it misses the appropriate definition the parent container is used.

Anyways, play around with system as much as you can, we are very interested in your results and appreciate the time you invest testing it.

cheers,

Roland

Comment

slowwwww reaction :-)

Hi Roland,

Soory for the late reply. Really busy atm, but i think i'll have some spare time the next weekend to give it another go.

i'll post the results.

Arnoud

Comment

hmmmm, not working for me...

Hi Roland,

finally some time to do some tests. As my own more complex project doesn't work, i tried the example multi module app from svn in the samples dir.

But i cannot get that one to work either. In the project setup i defined both modules as modules for the main app and to optimize them both. i'm using the latest source for sas from svn and link that directly into the test project. here's the error (part of it):

Code:
                      :
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.stage.FlexStageProcessorRegistry - Process UIComponent '_poc_multi_module_sas0.Label4'
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.stage.FlexStageProcessorRegistry - Process UIComponent '_poc_multi_module_sas0.HRule6'
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.stage.FlexStageProcessorRegistry - Process UIComponent '_poc_multi_module_sas0.module1'
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.stage.FlexStageProcessorRegistry - Process UIComponent '_poc_multi_module_sas0.HRule8'
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.stage.FlexStageProcessorRegistry - Process UIComponent '_poc_multi_module_sas0.module2'
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.stage.FlexStageProcessorRegistry - Stage processing completed
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.stage.FlexStageProcessorRegistry - FlexStageProcessorRegistry was initialized
                      [SWF] Users:arnoudbos:Desktop:AgileFlex2:_poc_multi_module_sas:bin-debug:modules:SASDemoModule1.swf - 90,693 bytes after decompression
                      [SWF] Users:arnoudbos:Desktop:AgileFlex2:_poc_multi_module_sas:bin-debug:modules:SASDemoModule2.swf - 90,409 bytes after decompression
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.context.support.XMLApplicationContext - Loading object definitions
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 INFO - org.springextensions.actionscript.context.support.XMLApplicationContext - Loading XML object definitions from [module1-context.xml]
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.context.support.XMLApplicationContext - Loading object definitions
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 INFO - org.springextensions.actionscript.context.support.XMLApplicationContext - Loading XML object definitions from [module2-context.xml]
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.context.support.XMLApplicationContext - No external properties file reference found.
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 INFO - org.springextensions.actionscript.ioc.factory.support.DefaultListableObjectFactory - Pre-instantiating singletons in [object FlexXMLApplicationContext]
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 WARN - org.as3commons.reflect.Type - Type.forName error: Error #1065: Variable ModuleClass is not defined. The class 'classes.ModuleClass' is probably an internal class or it may not have been compiled.
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.stage.FlexStageProcessorRegistry - New stage processor '[object DefaultAutowiringStageProcessor]' was registered with name 'defaultAutowiringStageProcessor' and existing [object FlexStageDefaultObjectSelector]
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.stage.FlexStageProcessorRegistry - Process UIComponent '_poc_multi_module_sas0.module1.SASDemoModule1_13'
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.ioc.wire.DefaultObjectDefinitionResolver - Can't find a prototype scoped IObjectDefinition whose type match the object type for _poc_multi_module_sas0.module1.SASDemoModule1_13
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.ioc.wire.DefaultObjectDefinitionResolver - Using default IObjectDefinition for _poc_multi_module_sas0.module1.SASDemoModule1_13
                      ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable ISASModule is not defined.
                      	at global/flash.utils::getDefinitionByName()
                      	at org.as3commons.lang::ClassUtils$/getImplementedInterfaces()[/home/christophe/IdeaProjects/as3commons/as3-commons-lang/src/main/actionscript/org/as3commons/lang/ClassUtils.as:282]
                      	at org.as3commons.reflect::Type$/forClass()[/home/christophe/IdeaProjects/as3commons/as3-commons-reflect/src/main/actionscript/org/as3commons/reflect/Type.as:156]
                      	at org.springextensions.actionscript.ioc.autowire::DefaultAutowireProcessor/getUnclaimedSimpleObjectProperties()[/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/development/flex frameworks svn/spring-actionscript/trunk/spring-actionscript-core/src/main/actionscript/org/springextensions/actionscript/ioc/autowire/DefaultAutowireProcessor.as:412]
                      	at org.springextensions.actionscript.ioc.autowire::DefaultAutowireProcessor/autoWire()[/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/development/flex frameworks svn/spring-actionscript/trunk/spring-actionscript-core/src/main/actionscript/org/springextensions/actionscript/ioc/autowire/DefaultAutowireProcessor.as:157]
                      	at org.springextensions.actionscript.ioc.factory.support::AbstractObjectFactory/wire()[/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/development/flex frameworks svn/spring-actionscript/trunk/spring-actionscript-core/src/main/actionscript/org/springextensions/actionscript/ioc/factory/support/AbstractObjectFactory.as:321]
                      	at org.springextensions.actionscript.stage::DefaultAutowiringStageProcessor/process()[/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/development/flex frameworks svn/spring-actionscript/trunk/spring-actionscript-core/src/main/actionscript/org/springextensions/actionscript/stage/DefaultAutowiringStageProcessor.as:151]
                      	at org.springextensions.actionscript.stage::FlexStageProcessorRegistry/processStageComponentWithRelevantProcessors()[/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/development/flex frameworks svn/spring-actionscript/trunk/spring-actionscript-core/src/main/actionscript/org/springextensions/actionscript/stage/FlexStageProcessorRegistry.as:288]
                      	at org.springextensions.actionscript.stage::FlexStageProcessorRegistry/processUIComponent()[/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/development/flex frameworks svn/spring-actionscript/trunk/spring-actionscript-core/src/main/actionscript/org/springextensions/actionscript/stage/FlexStageProcessorRegistry.as:261]
                      	at org.springextensions.actionscript.stage::FlexStageProcessorRegistry/processStage()[/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/development/flex frameworks svn/spring-actionscript/trunk/spring-actionscript-core/src/main/actionscript/org/springextensions/actionscript/stage/FlexStageProcessorRegistry.as:439]
                      	at org.springextensions.actionscript.context.support::FlexXMLApplicationContext/completeHandler()[/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/development/flex frameworks svn/spring-actionscript/trunk/spring-actionscript-core/src/main/actionscript/org/springextensions/actionscript/context/support/FlexXMLApplicationContext.as:302]
                      	at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
                      	at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
                      I'm i missing settings here or does it break at your computer too with the current version of sas?

Also note the next warning which is suspicious, cause the class is directly created in module a so it's definately compiled in...

Code:
                      Sat Oct 24 23:11:21 GMT+0200 2009 WARN - org.as3commons.reflect.Type - Type.forName error: Error #1065: Variable ModuleClass is not defined. The class 'classes.ModuleClass' is probably an internal class or it may not have been compiled.
                      cheers Arnoud
                      Last edited by arnoudb; Oct 24th, 2009, 05:31 PM.

Comment

other problem

Hey Arnoud,

this looks like another problem, juding by this:

Code:
                        ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable ISASModule is not defined
                        Are you sure all classes and interfaces are being compiled in the springactionscript swc?
                        Right click on the springactionscript project in eclipse, choose properties->Flex library build path and make sure all the checkboxes are selected.

please let me know your further findings

cheers,

Roland

Comment

got main working now

Hi Roland,

i did include all classes, but the next line was missing in the main app.

Code:
                          import org.springextensions.actionscript.module.ISASModule; ISASModule;
                          cannot understand why it's working at your place then, cause in the svn this line is missing too... Im using flash builder 4 beta 2. Maybe it has something to do with that?

Anyway nice that you put an example project together but actually you are not testing the use of a custom class in a module. Ok you define it in the context, but it's never retrieved from that context! If i Try that it fails.

i modufied module 1 like this:

Code:
                          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
                          <BasicSASModule
                          	xmlns="org.springextensions.actionscript.module.*"
                          	xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" 
                          	creationComplete="initModule()" 
                          	layout="vertical" 
                          	horizontalAlign="left" xmlns:view="view.*">

<mx:Script>
                          		<![CDATA[
                          			import classes.ModuleClass;
                          			import classes.ModuleClassImpl;

[Bindable]
                          			[Autowired(mode="byType")]
                          			//[Autowired]
                          			public var moduleClass:ModuleClass;

private var forceInClusdeClasses:Array = [ModuleClassImpl];

private function initModule():void {

moduleApplicationContext.addConfigLocation("module1-context.xml");
                          				moduleApplicationContext.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE,complete_handler);
                          				moduleApplicationContext.load();
                          			}

private function complete_handler(event:Event):void {
                          				moduleApplicationContext.removeEventListener(Event.COMPLETE,complete_handler);
                          			}

]]>
                          	</mx:Script>

<mx:Label fontSize="20" text="MODULE #1"/>
                          	<mx:Label fontSize="20" text="moduleclass: {moduleClass.title}, now: {moduleClass.now}"/>
                          	<mx:HBox>
                          		<view:InjectedTextLabel/>	
                          	</mx:HBox>

</BasicSASModule>
                          and modified custom class like this (interface and implementation):

Code:
                          package classes {

[Bindable]
                          	public interface ModuleClass 
                          	{
                          		function get title():String;
                          		function set title(value:String):void;

function get now():Date;
                          		function set now(value:Date):void;
                          	}
                          }

Code:
                          package classes 
                          {
                          	[Bindable]
                          	public class ModuleClassImpl implements ModuleClass 
                          	{
                          		public var title:String = "ModuleClass";
                          		public var now:Date = new Date();

public function ModuleClassImpl() {
                          			super();
                          		}
                          	}
                          }
                          and context for module 1 like this:

Code:
                          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
                          <objects
                          	xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.springactionscript.org/schema/objects http://www.springactionscript.org/schema/objects/spring-actionscript-objects-1.0.xsd"
                          	xmlns="http://www.springactionscript.org/schema/objects"
                          	xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<object id="injectedText" class="String">
                          		<constructor-arg value="This was injected by the module 1 context"/>
                          	</object>

<object id="customClass" class="classes.ModuleClassImpl"/>
                          </objects>

if i run this i get the next error:

Code:
                          Sun Oct 25 12:14:28 GMT+0100 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.stage.FlexStageProcessorRegistry - Process UIComponent '_poc_multi_module_sas0.module2.SASDemoModule2_13.HBox16.InjectedTextLabel17.VBox18.lblTitle2'
                          Sun Oct 25 12:14:28 GMT+0100 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.stage.FlexStageProcessorRegistry - Stage processing completed
                          Sun Oct 25 12:14:28 GMT+0100 2009 DEBUG - org.springextensions.actionscript.context.support.XMLApplicationContext - No external properties file reference found.
                          Sun Oct 25 12:14:28 GMT+0100 2009 INFO - org.springextensions.actionscript.ioc.factory.support.DefaultListableObjectFactory - Pre-instantiating singletons in [object FlexXMLApplicationContext]
                          Sun Oct 25 12:14:28 GMT+0100 2009 WARN - org.as3commons.reflect.Type - Type.forName error: Error #1065: Variable ModuleClassImpl is not defined. The class 'classes.ModuleClassImpl' is probably an internal class or it may not have been compiled.
                          ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable ModuleClass is not defined.
                          	at global/flash.utils::getDefinitionByName()
                          	at org.as3commons.lang::ClassUtils$/getImplementedInterfaces()[/home/christophe/IdeaProjects/as3commons/as3-commons-lang/src/main/actionscript/org/as3commons/lang/ClassUtils.as:282]
                          	at org.as3commons.reflect::Type$/forClass()[/home/christophe/IdeaProjects/as3commons/as3-commons-reflect/src/main/actionscript/org/as3commons/reflect/Type.as:156]
                          	at org.springextensions.actionscript.ioc.autowire::DefaultAutowireProcessor/getUnclaimedSimpleObjectProperties()[/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/development/flex frameworks svn/spring-actionscript/trunk/spring-actionscript-core/src/main/actionscript/org/springextensions/actionscript/ioc/autowire/DefaultAutowireProcessor.as:412]
                          	at 
                          so the module has trouble looking up the custom class in the context, but it is force included in the module as can be seen in the module 1 mxml

You can also see that reflect cannot find ModuleClassImpl ....

i'll experiment some more and let you know how it goes.... I have a feeling that if i include those classes in the main context everything will work...

Arnoud

Comment

more results....

Hi Roland,

I tried to add to the main app:

Code:
                            import classes.ModuleClassImpl; ModuleClassImpl;
                            and add to the main app context:

Code:
                            <object id="customClass" class="classes.ModuleClassImpl"/>
                            and then it works.

Another way to make it work is not do the steps above but simply load the module into the current application domain:
                            Code:
                            module1.applicationDomain = ApplicationDomain.currentDomain;
                            conclusion for now:
                            - module context cannot find custom classes defined for that module only
                            if it uses a childApplication domain of the main application domain (BUG)
                            - module context does look in main context if an object cannot be found in the module context (OK)

This clarifies that in my own project stuff only works is modules are loaded into the same applicationDomain as the hosting application. But things fail if the module is loeded into a child application domain. Apparently the IoC container cannot look up classes in childApplication domains seems to be the conclusion for now. I do think this needs some attention as adobe recommends loading modules in child domains. This is logical cause
                            in that case modules cannot interfere with each other, and class collisions between modules cannot occur, otherwise the first loaded module always wins over later loaded modules in adding classes to the main application domain which can of course give unpredictable behavior.

hope this can be fixed for the 0.9 release.

Arnoud
                            Last edited by arnoudb; Oct 25th, 2009, 07:57 AM. Reason: attachment

Comment

I still politely disagree with you

Hi there,

I'm very sorry Arnoud but the example app works flawlessly for me.
                              First of all:

Anyway nice that you put an example project together but actually you are not testing the use of a custom class in a module. Ok you define it in the context, but it's never retrieved from that context! If i Try that it fails.
                              I see you feel the need to become sarcastic, that's ok, I can understand your frustration with not getting things to work the way you want them to.

However, your assumption here is not completely correct. By declaring the custom class in the module's context it is automatically created by this context, since objects are singletons *by default*, and so are instantiated in the initialization of the module's application context. Retrieving the object simply means you are receiving the instance that was already created. Also having to add this line:
                              Code:
                              import org.springextensions.actionscript.module.ISASModule; ISASModule;
                              this seems very strange to me since both modules in the example app derive from BasicSASModule, which is an implementation of ISASModule.

One way or the other, my final conclusion remains that there's something going wrong with the project itself and therefore the linking of classes is screwed up. I see your using Flash Builder, does this also mean you are using the flex 4 SDK? Or do you use the 3.4 one?
                              In the case that you are using the 4.0 SDK in combination with flashbuilder, may I please remind you that this is still *beta* software, so things might have errors in them causing the behavior that you're experiencing.
                              I will try and get the project up and running in flashbuilder as well, to see if I can re-create your problems. I'll let you know about my findings.
                              In the meanwhile, perhaps you can try to compile and run the example app in flexbuilder 3 and see if you bump into the same trouble.

thanks you and I'll get back to you as soon as possible,

cheers,

Roland

Comment

Working...
                              X