Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good examples of where to use Spring AS

Hi,

I've used (Java) Spring in a enterprise environment and a few questions regarding the AS version.

The obvious (to me) uses of Spring AS are around externalizing remote service configuration, and indeed that seems to the focus of 95% of the articles out there.

Lets say I don't want to develop a RIA (Flex or not) with an extensive service back-end, but rather a more standalone AS3 application, a few back-end interactions (1 or 2).

The site would be more product/marketing orientated with content sections, navigation,swf address etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Richard

i'm not sure...

Hey Richard,

its true that most of the examples focus on remoting (since this is quite a broad use-case for flex applications). But the patterns used for configuring a remote object are exactly the same as you'd use for any other kind of object tree configuration.
    What kind of of use-case are you refering to exactly? 'product/marketing orientated' seems rather broad to me as well Do you mean a way of externalizing the navigation structure? Or injecting data into the content views?

cheers,

Roland

Comment

'Product/marketing' is a bit vague, probably because is a big area. But, yes, primary/sub navigation might be a good example. I guess you could inject the entire navigation structure into the application, including SWFaddress configuration etc from the config.

As for other content, for example digital assets (images/text/audio/video), you'd expect to see this externalized via another config anyway such as a piece of XML published from a CMS.

Comment

Hi,

prior to working on remoting enabled Flex/Flash apps, I have worked on a huge amount of XML driven Flash applications and believe me, I can't count how many custom XML parsers I have written back then. So I think Spring AS is the perfect tool to configure navigation and define content from XML snippets which are being parsed for you into domain objects.

regards,
        Christophe

Comment

Working...
        X