Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding the missing dependencies, I'm planning on contacting Sonatype in order to get a opensource repository where we can deploy some of our dependencies. Or we need to find someone able to host a Nexus repository. Either way you'll have to change your local Maven settings in order to add the needed repository to your local build. According to Maven rules, no external repositories should be included in a POM.

I just used the latest JideOSS version available.

The AspectJ error doesn't seem to have adverse effects aside from a warning.

By the way, Adam, if you want you can adapt the OverlayService according to that blogpost.

Comment

According to Maven rules, no external repositories should be included in a POM.
      hehe, learn something new all the time.

...you can adapt the OverlayService according to that blogpost.
      I'll totally give it a shot as soon as I have some time.

Comment

The main thing that the project needs is someone to pull all the documentation together in one place and provide transparancy on what to use and how to use it.
        Is there going to be a consolidation any time soon with instructions on which version is best to use and some quick sample projects to demonstrate it?

Comment

A lot of people are waiting for a new release of Spring RCP, so I think a good idea will be port Valkyrie to Spring RCP creating the version 2. Also can be merge with Bluebell but always keep the Spring RCP name. Even if the people have to port the old version of applications to the version 2 of Spring RCP.

Thanks a lot for all the work you and the other people do in Spring RCP.

Comment

Perhaps you'll find usefull this post:
            http://forum.springsource.org/showth...544#post351544

Bluebell demos are now online. It will be a pleasure for me to collaborate with Spring RCP guys.

Comment

That will be very good because you did a very good work with Bluebell. I'm not in the Spring RCP, it's just my opinion.

Originally posted by julio.arguello View Post
              Perhaps you'll find usefull this post:
              http://forum.springsource.org/showth...544#post351544

Bluebell demos are now online. It will be a pleasure for me to collaborate with Spring RCP guys.

Comment

Valkyrie

in response to the question: we can port Valkyrie to Spring RCP (in effect, creating a 2.0 version, as this'll break about every RCP code out there) or let Valkyrie live on as a project on it's own (perhaps merging it with Bluebell?). In that case there the second question: what to do with Spring RCP?

Valkyrie should take on a life of it's own especially if the port will break existing applications.

Comment

Originally posted by miked_musician View Post
                  in response to the question: we can port Valkyrie to Spring RCP (in effect, creating a 2.0 version, as this'll break about every RCP code out there) or let Valkyrie live on as a project on it's own (perhaps merging it with Bluebell?). In that case there the second question: what to do with Spring RCP?

Valkyrie should take on a life of it's own especially if the port will break existing applications.
                  I agree, this does bring up that question. Porting Valkyrie to RCP would in essence just be a rename, as most of the code is incompatible with the current RCP codebase.

Comment

How much Spring RCP code is there "out there"?
                    Make it version 2.0. Anyone with existing code just keeps using what they already have.
                    If they want some particular new feature only in v2 then they will have to fix their code to match the new version.
                    Keep a branch available for fatal bug fixes to be back ported to if necessary.

Comment

I'm agree with this point. Will no be the first project doing that.

Originally posted by opticyclic View Post
                      How much Spring RCP code is there "out there"?
                      Make it version 2.0. Anyone with existing code just keeps using what they already have.
                      If they want some particular new feature only in v2 then they will have to fix their code to match the new version.
                      Keep a branch available for fatal bug fixes to be back ported to if necessary.

Comment

Well, there is also another reason. Spring RCP used the org.springframework package in its code. As Spring RCP isn't really a part of SpringSource (none of the current developers are SpringSource employees and there hasn't been involvement of SpringSource employees for a couple of years), some of us were wondering whether this was a good idea.
                        Valkyrie was made without any link to SpringSource and I think until SpringSource shows a genuine interest in it's development, the packaging should reflect the current situation. Repackaging is only a small step, so it can be done really quickly. I think the main point should be to make Valkyrie stand on it's own and prove itself out there.
                        There is a large userbase out there, I have noticed this over the last year. Most of them keep themselves below the radar. In essence, whether the next generation would be called Spring RCP of Valkyrie, the amount of work would remain the same. Back ports would be a lot of work, as the architecture has changed quite a bit. It would be like porting JSF 2 features to JSF 1.2.
                        We also wouldn't be the first framework or product to change names in order to reflect large changes.

Comment

Hi guys,
                          did you come to a decision?
                          We would be very pleased to use Bluebell-SpringRCP-Valkyrie - the name here is not so central, let's call it your solution - for our small open-source project at http://sourceforge.net/projects/jttslite/ but we still don't see any release yet.
                          In the last weeks we tried putting together some single libraries, such as bsaf and beanfabrics or jgoodies binding, but the added value of your solution would be huge.
                          So the question is: what's going on? Do you have any due date or scheduled milestone release?

Cheers
                          Davide

Comment

Hi Lieven, Can I download valkyrie with maven or needs to be installed manually?

Thanks and regards.

Comment

hi, i really can't find much information about this valkyrie project, can someone point me to a link or forum?

Comment

I try now for a longer time to get a project with spring rcp done.
                                And im a bit annoyed that it was just let do die, more or less.
                                I am happy that something accepted the inheritance of spring-rcp and is actively developed.
                                I would be even more happy if it was somehow obvious that this is the de-facto successor.
                                And i would be happy if there are any affords to bring the spring rcp into a finite, not final state, but a version that can be used without falling into undocumented classes, or situations where you need a good week to find one or no a solution at all.
                                I would be happy to take a part in such a spring-rcp maintenance team.

Thanks for your efforts so far.
                                Michael Nitschke

Comment

Working...
                                X