X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• startup sequence messed up?

I like the idea of having my startup context separated from the bulk context, but something does not seem correct and looking at how long it takes for splash screen to come up ....

Anyway, I am refereing to the following code in ApplicationLauncher:
    Code:
        public ApplicationLauncher(String startupContextPath, String[] rootContextPath) {
            Assert.notEmpty(rootContextPath, "One or more root rich client application context paths must be provided");
            this.startupContext = loadStartupContext(startupContextPath);
            this.rootApplicationContext = loadRootApplicationContext(rootContextPath);
            launchMyRichClient();
        }
    This code still loads both of the context at the same time. Granted in launchMyRichClient() only startup used but I would think if you have a long enough descriptor you would still see a pause before splash comes up (and that is exactly what I see with petclinic).

should launch be broken up on two launch with startup context and launch with root context to speed thing up?

It would be nice to provide visual feedback on startup so splash could be a progress monitor

Thanks,
    Alex.

Absolutely!

I was about to post a message regarding this exact same issue. I have some beans that take a long time to initialize (several seconds). It would be great if the splash screen was posted ASAP and support a progress monitor.

It gets my vote.

Larry.

Comment

have a look in jira, there is already a patch which displays a splash screen with a progress bar. I don't use it at once so can't say anything about it

http://opensource.atlassian.com/proj...browse/RCP-112

greetings
      markus

Comment

The WIKI also has raised this question.

Comment

Originally posted by Demo
          have a look in jira, there is already a patch which displays a splash screen with a progress bar. I don't use it at once so can't say anything about it

http://opensource.atlassian.com/proj...browse/RCP-112

greetings
          markus
          The splash screen with progress bar does not solve this problem. Even with the progress bar, the splash is not displayed until the "root" context is loaded. The wiki has the correct logic. Has this been filed as an issue yet?

Comment

Working...
          X