Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get Started :-( Link broken?

Evening.
    New to spring and Java GUI development, though done a fair bit of backend dev. Trying to get started with Spring RCP, but struggling at an early hurdle.

Downloaded fine when I use TortiseSVN (cmd line failed for some reason) and sample app kind of runs up. [Throwing a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jdesktop/swingx/error/ErrorReporter - although this exists in rt.jar]. HOWEVER, that is NOT my problem at the moment....

What I cannot find is any information on how to start a new project. Thought I'd found it on the Wiki Home (http://opensource.atlassian.com/conf...splay/RCP/Home) in the Getting Start Link - only that is reporting as broken. It is trying to go to (http://spring-rich-c.sourceforge.net...ngStarted.html).

The doco I've been trying to understand is all working with the existing application, or starting after a new application has been started. I work best by doing as I read the tutorials rather than examining, but fails to mention how to do this first bit - deferring correctly to the Getting Started doco.

Anyone know what the real link is?

Thanks...Andrew

Try the Spring RCP website: http://spring-rich-c.sourceforge.net/

In the menu there the getting started link works. However, try and take a look at the simple sample or create a project from the maven archetype.

Comment

Thanks - completely blind. Must be domestic blindness spreading Tried to create a login in the Wiki to fix but couldn't find where to register.

Continuing on, when I try to run the mvn archetype:create as documented, was getting a failure: DownloadNotFoundException: Requested download does not exist.

Played around a bit, and just before I hit submit on continuing this as a problem, had another thought, dug and found the answer!

Suggestion of a doco update for dummies like me.

Doco currently says
      Next, run the following command (with appropriate substitutions for your.group.id and your-artifact-id) in an empty directory:

mvn archetype:create \
      -DarchetypeGroupId=org.springframework.richclient \
      -DarchetypeArtifactId=spring-richclient-archetype \
      -DarchetypeVersion=0.2.0-SNAPSHOT \
      -DgroupId=your.group.id -DartifactId=your-artifact-id

but I needed to run

-DarchetypeVersion=1.1.0 \
      -DgroupId=my.group.id -DartifactId=my-artifact-id

Suggest that section be reworded to be (coloured to show suggested changes - not for final )
      mvn install
      • Next, run the following command (with appropriate substitutions for the current Spring RCP version [check the version element in ~/.m2/repository/org/springframework/richclient/spring-richclient-archetype/the.created.version/spring-richclient-archetype-the.created.version.pom], your.group.id and your-artifact-id) in an empty directory:
      -DarchetypeVersion=the.created.version \
      -DgroupId=your.group.id -DartifactId=your-artifact-id

Just a suggestion. Thanks again for your help!

Andrew

Comment

Working...
      X