Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Spring Desktop?

Hi, there!
    I tried to find any info on Spring Desktop, but I was failed. Does it exist?

Thank you,
    Andrey

You can find more information in this thread:

http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=61473

Comment

Thank you, Lieven!
      I, actually read this. I try to understand what new ideas Spring Desktop is supposed to have.
      Right now we have home grown SWING application, which becomes big enough. We are looking for solid framework. Netbeans is our first choice. It is a pretty solid platform, but migration cost is high. So, we are still looking around. Spring RCP looks promising. It gives us strong foundation, but we still have a freedom.
      Yesterday I read your documentation and it seems Spring RCP doesn't have a feature we need - plugability. Our application is supposed to be a set of many plugins. User should just drop jar file in right place, that's it. In other words, each plugin has his own small configuration file, and framework merges them together when it starts. This is how Netbeans (and eclipse) works. In Spring RCP every single item should be configured manually. Am I right?

Thank you,
      Andrey

Comment

Thank you, Lieven!
        I actually read this thread. I meant some docs or source code.
        We have home grown swing application which becomes pretty complex. So we are looking for solid platform. Right now Netbeans is our first choice. It is pretty powerful platform, but migration cost is high. That's why we still look around. Spring RCP looks promising- it gives us strong ground but also we have freedom.
        Netbeans has feature we need a lot- plugability. Our application is a bunch of plugins. User should not configure anything. He just drop jar file in right directory- done. All new menu items, new views appear automatically. Each plugin has his own small configuration file and framework (Netbeans for example) merge them automatically.
        Couple days ago I read your documentation on Spring RCP. My understanding is Spring RCP doesn't have such feature. You have to configure manually every single item. Am I right?
        I thought new product will have it. That's why I was looking for some info.
        Any way, how difficult to plug new jars on the fly?
        Thank you,
        Andrey

Comment

Where is the source code?

I might be interested to take a peek at it to see what direction it was going to see if I want to pursue that, or if I can get some ideas from it.

The Confluence page is empty:

http://opensource.atlassian.com/conf...Spring+Desktop

So I have no idea what direction that project was going to go that would make it 'next gen'.

Comment

Well, the project was is a proof-of-concept stage, mainly looking into removing the singleton ServiceLocator pattern from the codebase and generifying the base classes of Spring RCP. Also the use of annotations for configuring binders and such was being explored.

Comment

Working...
            X