X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documentation

Recently, in the poll, the issue about the lack of documentation has been raised again. Since I was sick and tired of hearing the same thing over and over again, I decided to start writing...

Attached is a draft for a practical guide into Spring RCP. If some of you would be so kind to read the guide and give some comments, that would be great. The purpose of the document is to enable developers to start with RCP with at least a bit of a lifeline. There are still some point that need to be filled in or extended, but it gives you an idea of what it encompasses.

You can find the document here:

http://www.doclo.be/lieven/SpringRichClient.pdf

Cheers

Lieven

Great work.

I hope u will keep it up, since documentation prevents a lot of users from using RCP (but you already know that ).

Comment

Updated with an extra example for application windows with multiple toolbars

Comment

Originally posted by LievenDoclo View Post
        Updated with an extra example for application windows with multiple toolbars
        Hi,

Great! Thanks for spending your time with writing it!

As i see at the bottom of page 14 the CustomApplicationLifecycleAdvisor example can be seen twice and the creation of the application window is missing.

Anyway i keep up reading!

/Gergo

Comment

I've updated the document to take your remarks into account. The example should now be complete.

As for the rest of the document, are there other topics you'd like to see explained, or elaborations on the existing topics?

Comment

If it's possible i'd like a cross-field validation example included in the tutorial (usage of the abstractbinaryConstraint).

For my application i need to validate that if the a person's age is below 21 another field is optional otherwise it's required.

Also since i have 3 fields that need cross validation i created a multiplePropertiesConstraint where i can cross validate as many properties as i'd like.

Perhaps this is something you could include in the framework?

Comment

You can already do this out of the box, there is a class named RequiredIfTrue, which accepts a property and another propertyconstraint.

Comment

Aha didn't knew that. I'll adjust my code.

But i do believe, that this is something that should be in the manual.

Anyhow, thx for the pointer.

Comment

You're welcome, I've added an example to the "Dependent properties" section to show the usage of the RequiredIfTrue constraint. Haven't updated the documentation file on the site yet, will do that if some more new content is in there.

Comment

Hi,

I had/have problems understanding the differeces between the ActionCommand and the commandExecutors. You may remember that i was not able to put the ExitCommand on to the toolbar. :-)

Other things i am working on. I would like to make a binding class for a template class ie. List<Person>, how can i add it to the constructor of CustomBinding?
                    (I would like to pass List<Person> as parameter to CustomBinding)

I guess it is not really Spring specific, but who knows. If somebody know the answer, please let me know.

Yes, i already made a Dummy class PersonList extends List<Person>. but then JPA complains that i can not annotate a member with OneToMany which is not really a Collection.

/Gergo
                    Last edited by Gergo; Oct 13th, 2008, 11:00 AM. Reason: add more info

Comment

Thanks for creating the document as it has helped me out already (and I've been programming w/ RCP for 5 months solid). I also see some other items I will read to figure out some RCP aspects that I do not currently use or understand.

Great to also see your enthusiasm and that RCP will be moving forward.

Thanks for addressing the JIRA issues. I hope you can tell that mine were basically the result of some misunderstanding of RCP. I hope my formBuilder example is some help in creating a new, more powerful builder.

- Brad

Comment

As you asked what i would read about.

I mentioned the command framework a little bit more detailed.

And Browsing the Java Doc:

i am also interested in SettingsManager, Wizard.

/Gergo

Comment

The document is excellent, even though the fact that you are not a native English speaker shows. (Don't get me wrong, my Dutch/Flemish/French would not be anywhere near comprehensible!)

If you want to put the source document somewhere, I'd be happy to proof it for you.

As far as content goes, I'd really like to see more examples of Wizards (perhaps with one page depending on the values entered in a previous one).

Thanks a lot for doing this!

Comment

Originally posted by rdawes View Post
                            The document is excellent, even though the fact that you are not a native English speaker shows. (Don't get me wrong, my Dutch/Flemish/French would not be anywhere near comprehensible!)

If you want to put the source document somewhere, I'd be happy to proof it for you.

As far as content goes, I'd really like to see more examples of Wizards (perhaps with one page depending on the values entered in a previous one).

Thanks a lot for doing this!
                            Sure, I'd be happy to... Mind you, it's written in word 2007 (although I hate MS, Word is still the fastest way to write a somewhat good-looking document)... Just PM me your e-mail address.

I do know my English isn't perfect at all, but it serves its purpose: getting the message to the people . As for the wizards, I'm actually looking into adding a more elaborate example, but adding this in a document in a concise way isn't easy (I don't want to create a document with 5 consecutive pages of code).

Comment

Hi Lieven,

thanks for doing this, I think the documentation has been the major limiting factor in people using the project. I've just printed it out and I'll read it in detail the next few days and send my comments and suggestions.

One thing out of left field. Geertjan at javalobby did a great series of articles aimed at an introduction to Spring RCP. Have you thought of contacting him to see if there's a way of using his articles as part of the documentation, either integrated or as a standalone series?

Jonny

Comment

Working...
                              X