X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Status on Spring Rich Client

I am beginning building a swing app, and wanted to know how much I should rely on spring rich client.

From what I have gathered from the forum, things are in flux at the moment.

One thing that I need is to support multiple views per perspective. Docking would be handy but not mandatory.

I am also unsure as to whether I should use Spring Rich Binding and Validation, or JGoodis binding and validation.

Thanks.

In this link http://sf.gds.tuwien.ac.at/y/yo/yourshopadmin/ there is an application called 'your shop admin' avalaible for download. It was done for a springRCP user of this forum, and I found it really great, take a look. And also download the springRCP petclinic sample.

You can also download both projects of their respective CVS repositories:

server:[email protected]:/cvsroot/spring-rich-c
    [the entire springRCP project and its samples]

server:[email protected]:/cvsroot/yourshopadmin

Perhaps this will help you.

Comment

Several different docking frameworks have been used

with spring rcp.

I don't think any have been formally introduced to spring rcp yet, but they are around. I'm using some integration work that Jonny Wray did, it's quite nice.

Comment

Cameron,

Yes things are in a period of flux right now. We're basically looking to reorganize a bit, trim spring rich back in terms of scope (and favor integrating with jgoodies binding and gui commands directly, and building on them and/or adding onto them the unique features we provide--e.g nested binding.)

We'll be really starting moving forward on this process next week, and with some crossing of the fingers, have a .1 release by May 12th.

API changes are expected between now and .1. I wouldn't recommend relying on spring rich now in the short term until we cut a release. In the meantime, you can still leverage the existing codebase for a source of ideas/concepts you need to be aware of when building Swing apps.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by kdonald
          Cameron,

Yes things are in a period of flux right now. We're basically looking to reorganize a bit, trim spring rich back in terms of scope (and favor integrating with jgoodies binding and gui commands directly, and building on them and/or adding onto them the unique features we provide--e.g nested binding.)

We'll be really starting moving forward on this process next week, and with some crossing of the fingers, have a .1 release by May 12th.

Keith
          Go, go, go!!! :-) I am looking forward to this and really hope you guys make it.

But ... umm... nested binding, whats that? No need to answer here, it's just a reminder. Not only do you need to reorganize/trim, you really need to document your framework. Or else it will not be possible for others to get a clue about how to use it, no matter how excellent it looks for you who knows it from the inside.

And while I'm at it, you/we need examples that exercises and demonstrates the various aspects of the framework. The one (and only) that exists are a bit of an oddity and really needs to be cleaned up and complemented by more capable ones.

With good documentation of the framework at the conceptual level together with small pieces of runnable examples for the different aspects I can live with less than perfect documentation at code level. So that sets the priorities of my wish list.

Cheers!

/Ragnar

Comment

nested binding - you can bind nested bean like bean.innerBean.innerValue (bean have property innerBean and inner bean have property innerValue)

Keith,
            Is there any plan for features in rcp ?

regards
            Haris Peco

Comment

Snpe,
              If I understand correctly, Oliver has already finished code for this in the sandbox? Because of time constraints, I haven't had a chance to check this out yet. Soon, though, my project will take me in that direction.

- Andy

Comment

is sandbox in spring cvs ?

Thanks

Comment

is sandbox in spring cvs ?
                  Yes, it's on a subfolder of spring-richclient. Just download the spring-richclient project from the cvs repository and search the subfolder 'sandbox'

spring-richclient
                  |_ sandbox

Comment

there aren't changes in spring-richclient for a long time

Comment

I do have an implementation of BeanPropertyAccessStrategy the fully supports nested paths however I have not committed this code.

Unfortunately this class belongs in the Spring sandbox which I don't have commit access to. Keith an I have agreed to move a lot of this code over from Spring to SpringRich and once this is done I will commit.

I would expect this will be after the Spring 1.2 final release which is not far off now.

Ollie

Comment

Working...
                      X