Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local vs web start differences

Hi,

Situation is the same application deployed and run via web start, or locally. With the web start version the various icons specifyed within the about.txt file with, for example, image:about.spring, do no appear. It's as if the resource cannot be found, but all appears fine when running locally, and image resources in other parts of the application can also be accessed fine via web start.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

thanks
    Jonny

Have you jarred up the spring rich resources and added them to your jnlp file for deployment?

We are successfully using Spring Rich Via webstart and have all the images.

Mind you, the images add up to a whacking great 500K or so, so wee need to bring this down to essentials only at some point ;-)

Cheers

Alan

Comment

Well yes, that's the odd thing. Of course, when I noticed the images missing the first thing I checked was their existance in the deployed jar. They are there. Also, all other images are coming up including images in the same directory but accessed in other places in the application. In fact my application has been deployed and working fine for over a month now - I only happened to look at the about box early in the week.

I need to take a look at the spring code at some point. I have to admit, the images in the about box are a low priority right now. I'm just wondering if it's an indication of a more generic problem.

Originally posted by amcauley
      Have you jarred up the spring rich resources and added them to your jnlp file for deployment?

We are successfully using Spring Rich Via webstart and have all the images.

Mind you, the images add up to a whacking great 500K or so, so wee need to bring this down to essentials only at some point ;-)

Cheers

Alan

Comment

My guess would be that WebStart is not letting the application install a URLStreamHandler for the "image" protocol. Have you had a look at the logs generated when running with WebStart?

Ollie

Comment

Yes, looking at the logs and the web start console with tracing turned on was the second thing I did (after checking the jar for the files). No errors, or any log messages for that matter, are being produced. I get a message saying the resource about.txt is being accessed, and that's it. I haven't had time to do any more debugging after that.

I'll look into the source when I have some time and figure out what's happening.

Originally posted by oliverhutchison
          My guess would be that WebStart is not letting the application install a URLStreamHandler for the "image" protocol. Have you had a look at the logs generated when running with WebStart?

Ollie

Comment

Just wanted to know if this problem was solved?

Thanks

Comment

Personally, I never got round to looking at it. Sort of low on the totem pole of problems to fix.

Originally posted by georgey
              Just wanted to know if this problem was solved?

Thanks

Comment

Yes, let me answer my own question once again 8)

use Factory

URL.setURLStreamHandlerFactory( new URLStreamHandlerFactory() {
                public URLStreamHandler createURLStreamHandler(final String protocol)
                {
                if(protocol != null && protocol.compareTo("image") == 0)
                {
                return new Handler();
                }
                return null;
                }
                });

The info from http://www.vamphq.com/download/jwsfaq.pdf

Comment

Working...
                X