• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• afida
    started a topic Jasper Reports and Rich client

Jasper Reports and Rich client

Hi all,

I am looking for some ideas on using jasper reports in rich client. I think there is some support in spring 1.1.3+ for jasper reports but its mainly view classes for web layer. Basically here is what I am thinking,

1. Create the report design (*.jrxml), compile it and put them on server class path (i.e. WEB-INF/reports/*.jasper). And then at run-time return the JasperReport to client that can dispaly it in JaspoerReport Viewer.

2. Creat the report programmatically in the client , request the data model from server compile the report on client at runt time and fll it with data and show it in ReportViewer.

3. Other

What do you guys think , all ideas are welcome!

Thanks

Amad

• trafique
    replied
    JasperReports book by Packt publishing

Following book by Packt has recipes which describe creating reports in a client/server enviornment from a remote web client and web server.

JasperReports 3.6 Development Cookbook.

Leave a comment:

• sowji
    replied
    Japser Report printing at client side

Check the answer in the following

helptodeveloper.blogspot.com/2010/02/way-of-printing-jasper-report-at-client.html

Leave a comment:

• cyboc
    replied
    Originally posted by cyboc
    I have created a feature request in JIRA and I have uploaded my code as a starting point for you guys and the Rich Client project guys. I hope it works for you. It works well for my needs.

The issue number is RCP-92. Here's a link:

http://opensource.atlassian.com/proj.../browse/RCP-92
    Today I got the latest version of Spring Rich Client from CVS. I noticed that the included Spring Framework jars (in the "spring-richclient\lib\spring" directory) were updated to version 1.1.4, which depends on jasperreports-0.6.4.jar. So, I updated my jasper jar to that one. Upon doing that, I got deprecation warnings from one of my classes that I uploaded to JIRA.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I fixed those deprecation warnings and uploaded a new version of "DefaultJasperReportGenerator.java" to JIRA. You will want to get the version that I uploaded on 22/Feb/05.

In addition, I had to recompile my test jasper report (for JUnit test) because I was getting InvalidClassExceptions because it was compiled with 0.6.3 but I was trying to run it with 0.6.4. I have uploaded that newly compiled file to JIRA. It is called MyPersonBean_JavaBeanNamingConvention.jasper. Having said that, instead of using my ".jasper" file, I recommend you recompile it from the source, "MyPersonBean_JavaBeanNamingConvention.jrxml".

Leave a comment:

• steve_smith
    replied
    Cyboc,

Thanks! This is exactly what I am looking for. I think you do a good job on this one!

Leave a comment:

• cyboc
    replied
    Okay afida and adepue, I have created a feature request in JIRA and I have uploaded my code as a starting point for you guys and the Rich Client project guys. I hope it works for you. It works well for my needs.

The issue number is RCP-92. Here's a link:

http://opensource.atlassian.com/proj.../browse/RCP-92

Leave a comment:

• gfaerman
    replied
    Just posted lyno v 0.7.0.1

Just fixed some bugs. We've also posted a "working" sample. It's a scaled down RC app based in petsample. It takes data from a database using OJB.
    It uses the standar Jasper viewer, but since the framework is pluggable, it can be replaced..

URL is http://oso.websa.com.ar/lyno

As soon as I have some time, I will post a working client server demo (the code is almost completed in the zip file). Just need to configure Spring remoting and do the bootstraping in a new starting class.

Gustavo.

Leave a comment:

• afida
    replied
    Joe, I just send you a private message as well, but I think as Andy said it would be better if we share it here on the forum, so everyone can take advantage of it.

Amad

Leave a comment:

• adepue
    replied
    Re: Jasper Reports and Rich client

Cyboc,
    It has broad appeal to me. Nevertheless, I shall private message you.

- Andy

Originally posted by cyboc
    If are interested in having at look at my code, please private message me. (If this has broad appeal, perhaps I can upload the code to JIRA?). The code is very basic but it should give you a start, at least.

Leave a comment:

• cyboc
    replied
    Re: Jasper Reports and Rich client

Originally posted by afida
    I think there is some support in spring 1.1.3+ for jasper reports but its mainly view classes for web layer
    That's my feeling too -- the existing Spring support for JasperReports seems to be targeted at web apps.

We are using JasperReports in our rich client project. I have made some simple classes and interfaces for generating reports and displaying them in a Spring Rich Client app. For example, I made a DialogPage which encapsulates a JRViewer. In addition, I made a JRViewer than can be configured (i.e. you can set which buttons are visible) via an "options" object. This options object can be created in an application context and set on the DialogPage via dependency injection.

I have not, however, made any sort of report designer classes. Our users will not be designing reports. We are designing them ourselves, using the JasperAssistant Eclipse plugin.

If are interested in having at look at my code, please private message me. (If this has broad appeal, perhaps I can upload the code to JIRA?). The code is very basic but it should give you a start, at least.

Leave a comment:

• claudio
    replied
    Hi gfaerman

just wanted say that this components sould not only work within a J2EE environment.

thanx for clarify!

Claudio

Leave a comment:

• afida
    replied
    Thanks Gustavo, I am downloading it now. I will update you with my feedback.

Amad

Leave a comment:

• gfaerman
    replied
    Claudio,

When we say report generation in the server, in our implementation it means in a server component. If you develop a sort of stand alone app or a two tier app, its fine to call/have the "server" component just in the client and pull the data to the client to be processed.

If your app is an N tier app, you might decide to run the server component in a remote container (or server whatever you would like to call it), and just "bring" the rendered report to the client component.

Well, here we go:
    We've posted lyno, our raw reporting handling framework.

Please be aware this is bleeding raw code. You might find deprecated APIs in use and some horrible java coding style. Any improvements are really welcome.
    The code contains some bizarre spanglish properties and methods names (words in Spanish mixed with English). We hope we have the time to normalize it.
    Now you've been warned, if you still want to get some mud in your fingers ;-) you may download lyno from the URL at the botton of this message.
    Hope it can be considered a humble contribution to RC.
    Remember it is provided AS-IS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND.

You can download it from:

http://oso.websa.com.ar/lyno

Leave a comment:

• swalters
    replied
    My company sells an application that allows users to create their own reports against a Product Data Management system. It's written in VB6 and I need to migrate to a modern platform, so I'm very interested in any open source efforts that contain similar functionality.

The basic flow of our app is:

Report Design
    1.User chooses from a list of available Report Templates (data dictionaries)
    2. Each template is a class that returns an ADO Recordset (empty at design time)
    3. Report Designer is presented to user with available fields from template
    4. User has almost complete control of the report design. They can add new groups, change data sorting, fonts, colors, etc.
    5. New or Updated report definition (XML) is saved to database

Report Execution
    1. User chooses report to print
    2. Data Filters are optionally retrieved from Template class so user can limit data output.
    The following happens on the print server
    3. Report defintion is retrieved from database
    4. Template class returns a populated ADO recordset that is sorted according to the grouping requirements of the report.
    5. Report is executed using ADO recordset
    6. PDF is created and returned to User

I've been pleasently surprised at how non-programmer type users can create extremely complex reports using this application. The templates hide all the data complexity from the user so they can concentrate on look and feel. Probably the hardest part has been teaching them how to use the data grouping features.

I'd be glad to assist with any functional requirements for such a tool. I'm not that strong in Spring RCP yet, but I'm working on it.

-Shane

Leave a comment:

• claudio
    replied
    Hi all,

I agree to with your proposals to.

But did I see i right that the report generation will only work with a server?
    Wouldn't be nice to have the possibility to generate the reports also on client
    side so no server is needed? (Not for the first steps, but maybe in future)

Claudio

Leave a comment:

Working...
X