How to not show the splash screen at startup Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to not show the splash screen at startup

Hello guys, I'm new to this forum, and before I post anything new, I tried to look for answers, but I didn't find any for this:

Is it possible to hide the display of the splash screen? I just don't want it to be shown.

I'm using the simple sample from the RCP 0.2.1, and I tried the following:
    - Removing the bean from the startup xml --> it results in a null pointer exception.
    - Passing null or an empty string to the constructor of the Application Launcher --> it results in a null pointer exception.
    - Using a different constructor of the Application Launcher that doesn't require the startup context --> it results in a null pointer exception...

Any ideias?

Thanks in advance.

Just comment out the complete splashScreen-Bean, and it won't show up anymore. If you don't have any additional beans defined in the startup-context.xml file, you can safely remove it (don't forget to remove it also from the ApplicationLauncher-constructor).

I'm going to try that, later I'll post if it worked.

It didn't work.

Here is what I did:

In the file richclient-startup-context.xml, I commented these lines:

<bean id="splashScreen"
        class="org.springframework.richclient.application. SplashScreen"
        <property name="imageResourcePath">

And in the, instead of calling this constructor of the ApplicationLaucher:

new ApplicationLauncher(startupContextPath, new String[] { richclientApplicationContextPath });

I called this constructor (that doesn't use the startupContextPath):

new ApplicationLauncher(new String[] { richclientApplicationContextPath });

It gives this error:

INFO: Loading startup context...
        31/05/2007 17:41:30 org.springframework.richclient.application.Applica tionLauncher loadRootApplicationContext
        WARNING: Exception occured initializing application startup context.
        at org.springframework.richclient.application.Applica tionLauncher.loadRootApplicationContext(Applicatio
        at org.springframework.richclient.application.Applica tionLauncher.<init>(
        at org.springframework.richclient.application.Applica tionLauncher.<init>(
        at SimpleApp.main(

What am I doing wrong?

P.S.: I'm using version 0.2.1 of spring rich client.

Originally posted by Felipe View Post
          P.S.: I'm using version 0.2.1 of spring rich client.
          I think this may be the problem, I only tested it on the version from SVN, where it works. I'd recommend to work on the SVN-version, as it contains several bugfixes and improvements, for detailed instructions see .

You still can install a snapshot of your freshly checked out version in your local maven-repository and save a copy of the build, if you're afraid of refactorings breaking your app.

I searched on Spring-RCP JIRA and found the following issue:

This behaviour has been fixed by another patch:

As the fix is from January 2007 it won't be included in your version, as it's from September 2006.

Thanks for your help! Now it worked!

I followed the instructions at, installed Subversion and so on, got the source code and built it. I then used Maven to get it under my workspace, commented the application startup context XML bean for the splash screen, and it didn't show!

Thanks again for your help!