X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to not show the splash screen at startup

Hello guys, I'm new to this forum, and before I post anything new, I tried to look for answers, but I didn't find any for this:

Is it possible to hide the display of the splash screen? I just don't want it to be shown.

I'm using the simple sample from the RCP 0.2.1, and I tried the following:
    - Removing the bean from the startup xml --> it results in a null pointer exception.
    - Passing null or an empty string to the constructor of the Application Launcher --> it results in a null pointer exception.
    - Using a different constructor of the Application Launcher that doesn't require the startup context --> it results in a null pointer exception...

Any ideias?

Thanks in advance.

Just comment out the complete splashScreen-Bean, and it won't show up anymore. If you don't have any additional beans defined in the startup-context.xml file, you can safely remove it (don't forget to remove it also from the ApplicationLauncher-constructor).

Comment

I'm going to try that, later I'll post if it worked.

Comment

It didn't work.

Here is what I did:

In the file richclient-startup-context.xml, I commented these lines:

<!--
        <bean id="splashScreen"
        class="org.springframework.richclient.application. SplashScreen"
        singleton="false">
        <property name="imageResourcePath">
        <value>/images/splash-screen.jpg</value>
        </property>
        </bean>
        -->

And in the SimpleApp.java, instead of calling this constructor of the ApplicationLaucher:

new ApplicationLauncher(startupContextPath, new String[] { richclientApplicationContextPath });

I called this constructor (that doesn't use the startupContextPath):

new ApplicationLauncher(new String[] { richclientApplicationContextPath });

It gives this error:

INFO: Loading startup context...
        31/05/2007 17:41:30 org.springframework.richclient.application.Applica tionLauncher loadRootApplicationContext
        WARNING: Exception occured initializing application startup context.
        java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.springframework.richclient.application.Applica tionLauncher.loadRootApplicationContext(Applicatio nLauncher.java:111)
        at org.springframework.richclient.application.Applica tionLauncher.<init>(ApplicationLauncher.java:102)
        at org.springframework.richclient.application.Applica tionLauncher.<init>(ApplicationLauncher.java:73)
        at org.springframework.richclient.samples.simple.app. SimpleApp.main(SimpleApp.java:85)

What am I doing wrong?

Felipe

P.S.: I'm using version 0.2.1 of spring rich client.

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe View Post
          P.S.: I'm using version 0.2.1 of spring rich client.
          I think this may be the problem, I only tested it on the version from SVN, where it works. I'd recommend to work on the SVN-version, as it contains several bugfixes and improvements, for detailed instructions see http://spring-rich-c.sourceforge.net...mentSetup.html .

You still can install a snapshot of your freshly checked out version in your local maven-repository and save a copy of the build, if you're afraid of refactorings breaking your app.

Comment

I searched on Spring-RCP JIRA and found the following issue:
            http://opensource.atlassian.com/proj...browse/RCP-440

This behaviour has been fixed by another patch:
            http://opensource.atlassian.com/proj...browse/RCP-427

As the fix is from January 2007 it won't be included in your version, as it's from September 2006.

Comment

Thanks for your help! Now it worked!

I followed the instructions at http://spring-rich-c.sourceforge.net...mentSetup.html, installed Subversion and so on, got the source code and built it. I then used Maven to get it under my workspace, commented the application startup context XML bean for the splash screen, and it didn't show!

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X