Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• import commands-context.xml into application-context.xml

Hi all,

does it make sense to import the commands-context.xml into the application-context.xml to get access to the commands / executors via getApplicationContext().getBean("command")?
    Or is it better to define the executor-beans within the application-context.xml?

Thanks,
    Torsten

This can lead to problems. Keep in mind that the commands-context.xml file is "per window". That is, it is processed by the usual Context mechanisms, as well as a custom bean post processor, which automatically sets the ApplicationWindow property of any ApplicationWindowAware class.

This makes for interesting experiments, especially if you are trying to have a single toggle command to control some non-GUI, non-window specific (i.e. global) function. Unfortunately, since the contexts are created anew and processed independently when you open more than one window, it means that "singleton" in commands-context doesn't actually mean what you'd hope. It is a singleton *IN THAT CONTEXT*, true, but there is more than one context!

In order to get around this, I ended up creating a ToggleCommand in the main richclient-application-context.xml, and then referred to it in commands-context.xml. Unfortunately, being that the command was created in the main context, the command was never configured properly. i.e. the .label, .image, etc was never set up. This seems to be a weakness that is not easy to correct within the framework, for some reason.

I ended up creating a class that is specifically used to configure any Commands defined in the main application-context, and passed the command names/ids as a parameter to the custom configurer.

Messy, but it actually works. If you need help getting this to work in your app, let me know.

Comment

Hi rdawes,

thank's for the hint that the commands-context.xml is used per window. I didn't realize that until now - but it makes definitively sense.
      My application uses just one window, so it wouldn't be a problem. But including the commands-context is not a nice solution.
      I ended up with placing the command-executors into the application-context.xml and defining the actual commands within the commands-context.xml.

Thanks for your advice,
      Torsten

Comment

Working...
      X