X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring RCP Client Server

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but could someone tell me if/how Spring RCP can be used to develop a client/server application without requiring the use of EJB?

I want to have some clients that are able to do normal screen entry etc and have data saved to a database on a db server, as well as have the clients be able to initiate processes that run on a separate server.

Is this possible, or do I have to develop and EJB based application?

Re: Spring RCP Client Server

Originally posted by todds
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but could someone tell me if/how Spring RCP can be used to develop a client/server application without requiring the use of EJB?
    Hehe, I had the exact same question when I first joined these forums. Here's the link: http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=10227

What I (and you, I gather) call client/server, the Spring dev team calls "standalone". To see an example of a "standalone" Spring Rich Client app in action:
    - Get Spring Rich from CVS
    - Build it and the Petclinic sample app.
    - Run "petclinic-standalone.bat", which will be in the "dist" directory after building Spring Rich and Petclinic.

So, the basic answer to your question is "yes".

the clients be able to initiate processes that run on a separate server
    I'm sure it's quite possible to do this without EJB or a J2EE app server. Maybe someone can post an example?

For our app, we have a somewhat similar requirement -- we need to have asynchronous messaging. We plan on using a standalone JMS implementation as the server for this (i.e. we are not using a full-blown J2EE app server). Thankfully, Spring Framework provides some nice JMS abstractions -- although I haven't tried them yet.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by robyn; May 14th, 2006, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I would have thought this would be the case, but i couldn't be sure.
      I would like to download the application from CVS, however firewalls etc don't allow me to do that. I looked on the site for a file-set, however there are none. I will have to check it out when I get home.

Oh, I've read your post, and I believe what I need is not the 'standalone' version. I want to use spring/hibernate for database access and run processes on this machine. In this case, I guess I will have to use some remoting. I don't want the clients to connect directly to the database.
      In fact, I'm still a little unsure of the requirements at the moment, but it is good to know there are these 2 options

Comment

Oh, I've read your post, and I believe what I need is not the 'standalone' version. I want to use spring/hibernate for database access and run processes on this machine. In this case, I guess I will have to use some remoting. I don't want the clients to connect directly to the database.
        In that case, check out the "petclinic-clientserver.bat" version of Petclinic. It uses a separate server and remoting but does NOT require a full-blown J2EE server; all you need is a servlet container like Tomcat. The cool thing is, the code is pretty much the SAME for both versions, just the configuration is different. This shows that for your app, you could start off with standalone and convert to client-server fairly easily, along as you follow the principles laid out in J2EE Development without EJB (e.g. code to interfaces not classes, etc).

Comment

Working...
        X