X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building 0.2.0 and Nightly builds

Sorry if this has been covered before, but...It's my understanding that Spring Rich Client has changed quite a bit since 0.1.0 and as such, I'd like to tinker with the latest and greatest.

So, I visited the nightly build link. It doesn't appear that anything has been placed out there since August 9th...and that appears to be an empty directory under spring-richclient/0.2.0-SNAPSHOT. No JAR files.

That's okay...I'm a developer...I'm not afraid of building it myself. So, I checked the latest stuff out of Subversion and ran "mvn install". After some time passed, I got an error complaining about a missing JNLP JAR file. A little detective work revealed that my javaws.jar file is in a different place on my Mac that it usually is on a Windows machine. I tweaked the pom.xml file and moved on.

A little while later, I had a "BUILD SUCCESSFUL". Fantastic! I then looked at all of the module JARs and was dismayed to discover that they were mostly empty. A little more detective work revealed that although the project has been broken apart in spirit, most of the stuff is still under "support". Not a problem...I'll use that JAR file.

Then I got errors about missing class from the binding package (Conversion something-or-other...I've forgotten the exact class name by now). Sure enough, it's missing from the support JAR. I dug around in the source code...nowhere to be found.

After several hours of frustration, I decided to tinker with 0.1.0. Within moments, I had a simple, but working Spring RCP app.

I realize that there's a disclaimer saying that 0.2.0 (SNAPSHOT) is unstable. But I'm led to believe that some of you are successfully using the latest stuff and I'd like to be one of the cool kids. This leads me to ask two questions:

1. Is there some special setup I need to do to get the 0.2.0 stuff to work from a manual build?

2. Is there any chance that the nightly build could be reinstated so that I can just download the latest stuff every once in awhile?

1) You where very close I think: just download the spring-binding jar, which isn't part of the normal spring framework jars, but is released as part of spring modules:
    http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/or...inding/1.0-rc3

If you use maven2 in your own project, maven2 would have transitively fetched that dependency for you. (Try using the archetype to create a new project, see our website)

2) It was never implemented yet, but you're right, it's a priority to get that up and running. Continuum is now doing compiles. I am looking into getting nightly's and site deployment up (there are some issues with SF).

Comment

By the way: Where was your javaws.jar? Could you make an issue for this?

Comment

Mattias has just deployed the javaws api to fix the javaws problem

Comment

Originally posted by ge0ffrey
          1) You where very close I think: just download the spring-binding jar, which isn't part of the normal spring framework jars, but is released as part of spring modules:
          http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/or...inding/1.0-rc3
          Yeah...I figured that I was close. I knew that I had heard of the spring-binding stuff before, but at the moment it escaped me where it lived. And I had burned too many minutes getting to that point, so I regressed back to 0.1.0.

Originally posted by ge0ffrey
          If you use maven2 in your own project, maven2 would have transitively fetched that dependency for you. (Try using the archetype to create a new project, see our website)
          I normally use Maven 2 for everything. But in this case I was just wanting to do a quick-n-dirty "drive-by" of Spring RCP to get the overall feel of it before I did something more serious. So, I was just running it from Eclipse. I'll try the archetype next time.

Comment

Working...
          X